HybridZ

Z vs ZX ?

Oleh

i browse several Z boards, and i see alot of hate towards the ZX ? in my opinion, its a better car structurally, less flex, more solid, better drivetrain, etc. Looks are in the eye of the beholder for the ZX i guess. Do you guys think the ZX should still be considered a Z or is it a different car like the Z31, Z32 and so forth ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are still Z cars. Just not the type of Z car I want to own. Definitely a different emphasis. Heavy, softer ride, 1000X better looking interior. The early 240's didn't even offer a factory AC or automatic.

Hard to argue ZX's weren't as well received. Nissan sold a lot more ZX's than Z's.

If you look at SCCA racing and the like, the ZX didn't see anything close to the success of the Z. Like I said, different emphasis.

The 280ZX is not just a body style change. It is a complete suspension and chassis redesign. It shares some drivetrain components with the first generation Z's, but that's about it. It's a closer relative to a Maxima than a 240Z IMO. Like it or not, that is the truth. To get testy about the name is somewhat retarded, it is after all part of the Z line, but I think the change away from the design of the first gen is what leads some to hate it outright.

i never have been a fan of the S130 280ZX's at all.. not one bit!

but.. after seening a few in pics on this site i must say im liking them alot more.

so much more that im about to buy one to put a RB20DET in it.

might be a fun drift car, or good daily.

mike

but like 90% of 240Z owners dont think so.

Then 90% of them are wrong - heh.

I think the "spirit" of the Z changed with the ZX but its certainlly still a Z. So are the 300's and 350. I prefer the 240-280's myself though.. The styling is sleeker and their lighter. The ZX followed a trend seen in many cars in the 80's that I just didnt like at all.

Good cars sure, personally I think the 240 is the king of the hill =]

My current daily driver is a '77 280Z, but I owned and drove an '83 280ZX for abaout two years. My wifes car is a '93 300ZX convertible. All three cars have very different personalities and all are Z cars. I have enjoyed each of them and have enough time behind the wheel in them to know their strengths and weaknesses. My only comment is "to each his own". Drive the one you got and enjoy it.

i didn't like them at all first, but they have grown on me... there's one guy in here who has a zx in his sig that i would mind owning actually, i forget who it is, but i think it's brown.

the styling gripes i have with zx's is the front bumper and the cheese grater B pillars mostly.

I still consider them z's...but s30s are my favorite.

And yes, it is typical 80's and I dislike most cars from that period.

but not including the starquest cars right.. Starion and Conquest.

cuz those cars rule in looks!

mike

what the 300 lacks in "looks" it makes up for in the huge potential the vg30et has to make some big hp numbers. Several guys on z31.com are making over 350 hp easily on old stock bottom end motors. I myself wasnt a big fan of the z31s until I was looking for a cheap, fun, daily driver. I bought my 87t off the original owner with 90k miles on it and only paid 3k. Not only is it in mint condition, but I get 26 mpg and lots of creature comforts my 280 doesnt have. I love all Z cars, skinny and fat :icon44:

I LOVE MY 280ZX POS!

Ok, i just had to get that off my chest. But I really do like it. I drove several S30s before I bought my gold ZX, and I just really like the way the ZX drives. No major understeer, in fact it feels very nutral. But I think if I had waited longer to buy I either would have gone with a 280ZX turbo, or a presmog 240.

As it stands I don't think i'm gonna buy a S30 for my first ground up build. I really want to see the potential of these ZX cars. They get bashed on alot, but I don't really see the reason. Sure they weight more, but they came with alot more comforts. Removing all the extra stuff to reduce it down to a S30 trim type would provly show that it's not much heavier than a 280Z.

Like pop n wood mentioned the ZX didn't do as well on the SCCA, but i'd atribute all of that too suspention desgin. And who ever said you can't modify it? Even the S30 is dated in alot of areas. Nessesity is the mother on modification :rockon:

It seems to me most people just don't want to have to do so much work to get a car to handle well. The ZX also doesn't quite look as good, but comaring the two I'd take the ZX as a base point. I think it has dimesions that I could get a look I like out it easier.

I like z31's about a 6/10, 9/10 being a 240z, 8's are the 260/280 (for the bumpers), 4/10 for the zx's. That is my opinion on stock looks. My main problem with z31's/z32's is not the car itself, but the type of person they are associated with. Not so much z31's, but z32's seem to have too much of a tuner/rice following for me, but that definately would not be one of the main purchasing factors.

I have owned both a S30 and a S130. Of the two, the S30 was faster (both have 355 sbc) but I prefer driving the S130 I presently own because of the creature comforts (I'm getting soft in my advanced age). As for weight, my 79 ZX is only 69 pounds heavier than my 77 Z was. I believe that is due to the 700R4 (ZX) vs the TH350 (Z).

I loved my 240. I still love my 280z, my 280zxt, and my 300tt. Get the picture?? Yes they are different cars and all have their own character. They are all great cars and have provided me with more fun than I have time or inclination to write about. Enjoy the ride!

I owned an '83 ZX while I was building my '77 (the first time).

The S130 makes a great daily driver. Same nice exhaust note as the S30 (before hybridization) is that a word? :) , cushy ride, and decent looks.

I like the S30 better, just because I feel more like a part of the car than in the S130.