HybridZ

Starts without clutch to the floor

no S30 Z i ever owned or sat in' date=' or worked on had a neutral safety switch.

i like not having it anyways..

mike[/quote']

same here, as a matter of fact when parking in escape mode, or for ultra fast gettaways you can start most 240Zs in first gear without depressing the throttle! LeMans start out of the grocery store parking lot baby!

I don't have one in my 240z or my 1975 280z. I don't think there was one in either of my z31s (both 1986). I learned to drive in those cars, and never developed the habit of depressing the clutch when starting. I just checked the shifter and fired. Made for a few frustrating (and embarassing) moments when I got another car.

It's also a lot nicer for the engine if you don't start it with the clutch depressed. If it is, then you're pushing on the back end of the crankshaft. There is no oil pressure, so the crank is basically riding on the thrust bearing while you start it, until the pressure comes up. If you can start a car in neutral with the clutch out, you should.

Go find a service manual for whatever model you're asking about. That's the only way to be sure. I've never seen one in an S30, and would not like it if it DID have one. I remember almost putting a delivery truck through a wall though becuase I forgot to check if it was in neutral. I was twelve, but still, maybe I should take that back.

I think I'm gonna try that Lemans start with my 280, I can't hurt it any worse. Responsibility lies solely on my throttle foot.

I added my own, so I have to have the clutch pedal depressed at least 1/4" to start it. It's not enough to disengage but at least I have to have my foot on it, and by then I will most likely push it in, that is unless I want to move it with the starter.

I never thought about the crankshaft's role in this from the pressure of the throwout bering. I started my old car the same way (clutch in) for 210,000 miles and never had any problem with starting it this way. Replaced the clutch at 80k and cleaned the starter at 120K. Then the engine went from burning 1 qt per 2000 miles to 1 qt per 350. So I got rid of the car. Something to think about.

...One you have to be in neutral, the other you have to have the clutch in.

Usualy for an automatic the car will only start in park, that's easy to do because the shifter is all the way at one end and the switch can be incorporated at the end. For a stick, it's a little harder and the switch is usually internal to the transmission. I know that my original transmission had a "neutral safety switch" according to the schematic and wiring, but it didn't work obviously. My T56 also has a neutral safety switch, but I did not hook it up because I don't want to troubleshoot why my car won't start 5 years from now when it fails. I instead hooked up a clutch switch which is normally open and when I press the clutch I hear a click and it is then closed. The car will not start unless I have my foot on the pedal and it is pressing at least 1/2" or so.

I like the clutch switch better for ease of maintenance.

I recently screwed a modified nut over my clutch switch to keep the button pushed in all the time (I hate working on a car that necessitates getting into and out of the car just to start it) on my SX. I hate safety switches, the fewer the better.