HybridZ

Grad school vs Tech school

EvilC

This may get lengthy……..

As I come to the end of my 5th year in college, I will be receiving my bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering and minor in business. Here at school I have the option of going to Grad school for my MBA because I hope to own my business on day. That said the business I hope to own would be in the automotive industry somehow. Now with that passion of cars and such in me, it drives me to really want to attend a trade school such as Wyotech. I would love to get a job as an engineer on some race team or one of these big car companies out there which I think trade school would bring me closer to. If I was not able to achieve that, at least I would have acquired the skill and training for my own personal benefit and for a business I may end up having someday. Those are the Pros of Tech school but now to get into the Cons……. It will cost me twice as much to go to Wyotech vs staying here in school and getting my MBA. The Masters degree I feel may help me also get to my ultimate goal but I may get side tracked when “life really startsâ€. I mean I am only 22 with no kids and all the real life responsibilities. Besides a few bills, student loans and the Z, I really don’t have much to worry about. So within the next 2 months or so I have to come up with my 2 yr plan and stick with it…..I guess I can always do grad school then tech school after….just don’t want to over educate myself if you know what I mean….any ideas or feedback? Thanks guys…….

Clive

It would seem to me that industry specific knowledge would be more critical than general business knowledge. Though I could be wrong, I know nothing about running a business except the general rule that word of mouth is extremely powerful, so treat your customers well. :D

Oh and is there any such thing as overeducate? I guess so, I was told from one company I wouldn't be hired because I didn't have a Masters and they didn't think they could mould me into a job.

Dave (PhD Computer Science)

On the contrary, no matter what business you think you are in, as a manager, you are in the business of running a business, if you catch my drift. If you intend to own your own company, it would behoove you to know the specifics of how to run a successful operation-which are pretty similar regardless of actual product or service delivered. Going to a tech school will probably teach you a lot about how to work for somebody else, I would think. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to excel at what you are doing, it would certainly be worth your time to learn the skills you would need to be a successful business person in addition to being a knowledgeable technician. Just my $.02, hope it was helpful.

I'm among the overeducated. I was able to start my career at the age of 35, and that's having gone straight through school starting at age 5. I then started went back to school for an MBA at age 37. Let me tell you, I could put all you need to know for an MBA in a book, and it would be a very small book. I'm not saying it was not worthwhile. It gave me a lot of confidedence and credibility, and that's worth a lot. Any venture I choose to create in the future, I know I can handle it.

In your situation, it depends on how much hands on work you ultimately want to do. If it's a lot, go to Wyotech. Great school, especially since there's nothing to do there except study. You could get stuck in the nuts and bolts though. At 22, though, I fear you're too young to go to business school and some real world experience would help. You could do both, but that would get expensive. Anyway, good luck.

I think that grad school is something that you can always do in the future. There are many programs that are geared for full-time professionals, and even some reputable online programs. If you want hands-on technical experience then I would go to tech school now. I would think that could get you a job you like and you can then gain good real world experience.

I believe education is like building a house...you first need a good foundation! I suggest finishing up with your MBA....who knows, by the time you get your MBA, you may have a different view of how and what direction you want to take yourself with your interests. So what I'm suggesting is build your foundation (MBA) and then address the details (Trade school). Just a thought!!!

Tom

I believe education is like building a house...you first need a good foundation! I suggest finishing up with your MBA....who knows, by the time you get your MBA, you may have a different view of how and what direction you want to take yourself with your interests. So what I'm suggesting is build your foundation (MBA) and then address the details (Trade school). Just a thought!!!

I agree with Tom, the MBA will give you FAR more options in life than the trade school diploma. Get the important stuff done first, then if you want to screw around at the tech school go do that later. Don't get me wrong, I think it's admirable to want to do the trade school, just maybe not as important in the big scheme of things.

I know several people that went to UTI in Phoenix, and the reviews were mixed. Regardless, none of them came out of school and got a really good paying job. Don't know any MBAs, but I'm guessing the starting pay for that degree is a little better than $9/hr... :D

MBA's are good for resumes. If you are hiring into a big corporation, the degree is worthwhile simply because none of the other MBA's will want to admit they could have better spent their time doing something else.

But if you are going to run your own buisness, then who do you have to suck up to? Real world experience and good trade connections will take you much farther than some yuppie badge of accomplishment.

Besides, as a fellow engineer who has had friends go to buisness school following engineering school, I can tell you first hand that you will not find an MBA program challanging. Your math background will quickly make you wonder what all the fuss is about. MBA students are much more concerned with interviews and scoring that next big job than attending class.

Why not instead get a Masters in Mechanical Engineering? These days a practicing engineering needs a Masters - a B.S.E. is really just to basic. And "on the job training" is no substitute for rigorous lecture and exams!

Like Pop said, an MBA is great for climbing the corporate ladder, or for rising in government administration. As a mid-career federal government employee I’m seriously thinking about getting an MBA. But for a small business owner the MBA borders on being pointless.

And instead of Wyotech, how about the local community college? Many have auto tech programs that lead up to ASE certification. You could reverse-transfer your engineering credits to the community college, and get your ASE certifications in about one calendar year of study.

EvilC,

For what it is worth... I considered Med School, an MBA, and a grad engineering degree after my undergrad mech eng degree. I decided on the Master's in mech eng and it was worth a solid $10K bump in the payscale for my first job compared against other "new hires" at GE Airfcraft Engines in 1998.

My advice is do get it while you are young and single. Most of the time you can get it in 18-24 months easily.

Jay

I agree with Michael and Blairjj. I too have a MSME, and it was very worthwhile. A BS degree in any technical field is very common today. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of work to get, but it is also too general. Consider you can be designing HVAC systems for large building or Aerospace parts all with the same degree. A Master's should help narrow down your field of expertise...so you can focus on the fun stuf and learn a lot more about it. Personally, I found grad school MUCH more fun that undergrad for that reason, not to mention that other grad students are normally more serious about school than the typical undergrad crowd.

I would like to go back and get a TECHNICAL MBA in the future. The program I would like to go through is in another state though, and they require you are practicing in your field for 5+ years before attending. I too thought about a tech school (if for no other reason than it seems fun). In the end I figured that I could learn the information other ways and buy a lot of the equipment I would need with the money I would have spent on tuition. I like it this way...

Hopefully this helps,

Joshua

Without hesitation I say Masters Degree. It's not necessarily going to open doors for you, but it will keep them from slamming in your face. Get the MBA or a masters in engineering and its hard to go wrong. Don't rule out getting an engineering job where the company pays for grad school.

EvilC' date='

My advice is do get it while you are young and single. Most of the time you can get it in 18-24 months easily.

Jay[/quote']

IMHO Jay nailed it. I went straight into an MBA program after undergrad because of all the "married with children" people I met in undergrad. They were taking one course a semester, at night, after work, hoping to get finish in another 5 years.

Good luck and have fun.

I think you have pretty sound advice. Masters degree in ME. The easiest way to get into a race team is to drive the truck that delivers the car to racetracks. I have my PE license, a CDL, BS, MS and too many other certs to list. They mean nothing. BS=bullshitt, MS=moreshitt, Phd=piled high and deep! Your ability to apply what you know is what will carry you to the end, the MS in engineering will gather all the tools in your head and apply them to what you really like to do. There will be no more psych classes, phys ed, etc, BS classes that you don't need. Everything will be directly related to what you enjoy doing depending on what you want to focus on. When you graduate with an MS in engineering, you will have the confidence to tackle anything. Consider skipping the MS and getting the Phd instead, same classes, dissertation instead of thesis, published instead of non, but IMO worth more at the paycheck line.

I will like to add my 2 cents since i go to school wit evilc...

we came to college not to start at the ground up but to have a postion in the ladder that will lead us to do what we want...with that being said i propose this idea to u. apply for the MBA program and apply for an intership/CooP in an automotive job...(honda,nissan ect.) I've been tryin for 2 years to get into honda or nissans CooP program and will keep applying untill they get annoyed by me...afta workin this summer for the engineering plant in ithaca i learned one thing - I COULD HAVE DONE ENGINEERING W/O AN COLLEGE EDUCATION! and u know it too...We pretty spend 4 years busting our buts for a paper...with the experince u get from the interships would be more towards what u want to do in life..."yes wyotech will teach you how to build an engine..but will it teach you how to make one"?

There are some good opinions and advice here... That said... Go out into the work force for a while. You're 22. You need a better understanding of how things work outside of the classroom. I've got a lot of "credits" under my belt, and I own a company, have managed a lot of folks with PHDs and I can tell you that I'll hire a person with more practical skill than education any day of the week.

Getting an education is commendable. Putting it to use and applying it with every level of technical skill, as well as common sense approaches will win the day, the job and the career. One without the other, is iffy... But I'll take experience over education any day of the week, and so will every other employer I know.

Mike

As someone that's been around the block a few times (technical degree, Bachelor's degree, Certificate in Project Management, PMP Certified, and currently enrolled in Master's program), let me tell you my experience. Technical schools teach you something you can use, college just allows you to meet the requirements necessary to get your foot in the door. There are many positions that require you to have a degree. If you don't have a degree, you will not be considered. Having this degree doesn't necessarily mean you learned anything specific, but you made the commitment and put the required effort into obtaining it.

You need to figure out what position you want and what the requirements for that position are. Would an employer favor an advanced degree or hands on experience or training? Call someone that you would like to eventually like to work for and ask what they're looking for in a potential employee. If you want to work for yourself you don't need a degree, you just need to get out there and learn the business you want to be working in.

Imagine having a company where all the talent on hybridz could be utilized! I wonder how big and great a z car hotrod manufacturing company it could be? All the facets of business would be taken care of, would probably take 100,000 square feet of shop, offices, machine shop, paint booths, body areas, glass, etc. Would be impressive.

Wow, get it done, start a company and hire us all!