HybridZ

Sign in if you own an s130!

007max

post-279-12680912654942_thumb.jpgpost-279-1268091307022_thumb.jpgpost-279-12680913553648_thumb.jpg

Here's a few pics of my S130 ride. 383 sbc stroker, 700R4 tranny, Edelbrock EFI, MSI, Mallory, free flow headers.

Getting ready for some Spring mods to the car. Wheels and tires are 1st on the list. Thinking 17 X 8 wheels on the front and 17 X 9.5 or so on the rear. Don't want to do any fender mods and would like to keep spacing and adapters to a minimum. Not much to pick from in the 4 X 114.3 lug configuration. Also, will be installing new carpeting and headliner with kits from ZCar Parts. Next would be a swap of the stock R200 3:54 rear for a 87-89 300ZX 3.7 LSD rear. Any thoughts, comments, questions, criticisms, or advice is invited.

DanJ

Here's a few pics of my S130 ride. 383 sbc stroker, 700R4 tranny, Edelbrock EFI, MSI, Mallory, free flow headers.

Getting ready for some Spring mods to the car. Wheels and tires are 1st on the list. Thinking 17 X 8 wheels on the front and 17 X 9.5 or so on the rear. Don't want to do any fender mods and would like to keep spacing and adapters to a minimum. Not much to pick from in the 4 X 114.3 lug configuration. Also, will be installing new carpeting and headliner with kits from ZCar Parts. Next would be a swap of the stock R200 3:54 rear for a 87-89 300ZX 3.7 LSD rear. Any thoughts, comments, questions, criticisms, or advice is invited.

DanJ

Try ebay for the wheels. There are a few sellers on there selling the sport max wheels in 4x114.3

Sportmax's should come in 17x9, I dont remember anything wider than that though. They do have shitty offsets though. I believe everything around that size and width are +25.

Unless you have a good suspension set up, 17's on an s130 make it look like a donk. If you go that route you gotta slam the **** outta that thing.

PurePontiacKid

The Tach is AutoMeter UltraLite Memory Pro Comp 5". I believe the part number is #4494.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3145&sid=11

One thing I like about the guage configuration is that the 5" and smaller guages (2 1/16" I believe) fit right into the stock ZX dash with no fabrication required. Gives a nice sporty stock look. The speedo guage lets you calibrate the speedometer to any rear/tire configuration to reatin accuracy.

I have pondered the wheel/tire possibilities for a long time. I would even stick with 15" rims if I could get the right tires for steering up front and launch in the rear. I had to convert from power rack to manual rack steering to install the driver side full-flow headers to install, so I need to stick with no wider than say 205 tires up front but would like 235 or larger on the rear without too much change in O.D. to keep rear ratio near 3:54 or lower.

Thanks for all input.

DanJ

Yes they reflect kinda weird but by having Hid's with projector beam they don't tend to spread the light well enough and end up only consentrating into one direct place instead of spread out, but every projector beam works different for instance my friends BMW X5 has projector and already had hid's but he changed the bulbs and the bulbs are not straight as you would imagine it to be in an H4 headlight there facing to the side and the reflexion goes a out of the projector. But you can either spend more wait it out I was gonna do that but for 100 bucks it way better than those cheap blue bulbs that my headlights came with I would put higher wattage but I don't want to burn my harness and these hid's don't they run like if they were normal bulbs.

I'll be changing mine later on to projector when I find the right ones.

dude those would get you pulled off the road in europe in a heartbeat! next to that .. buy some stock H4 lenses and than judge! Even with xenons this light wel be some much more agle to help you.. instead of flare all over...

Hounestly its junk.. (that coming form guy praising the OBX diff)

im running 15s on my zx....its on hp shocks and lowering spring (probably taking a coil off each spring all the way around for an extra little bit lower (.5-1") BUT i am running some 225-50-15s up front and some 245 or 255-60-15s out back...that should keep you close to what you need. Pirellis up front and theres a big list of makers for the rear (cooper cobra's, goodyear gt2s,bfg ta's, bfg ta Radials) the list goes on but most can be had for under $100 for the rears new and the radials are only 151 a piece (i just bought 2 extra rims for the track/radials). All on 15x8s...ill get pics in a week or two after shes back up and running with the wheels/tires/3.9 welded dif/ etc.

You thought about Falkens? You can get Azenis' for less than $151 a tire on like discount tire direct or something lol

and I certainly hope you don't mean a 60 series sidewall with 245 or 255 tires... mosnter truck much?

to be honest, if you get really nice tires to begin with, you don't need very wide tires at all. I've got 195 wide Falken 912's on my Z and I could barely get it sideways unless I REALLY tried. Of course, maybe I'm just a Falken ***** now lol

Edited by PurePontiacKid

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been a member of HybridZ for 4 years, & a lurker for 2 years before that, & I realized that I had never posted any pics of my first Z, a 79 zx hardtop coupe, that I still have today...LOL! A little back story on the car: It was a 2 owner when I bought it from my wife's best friend's sometimes boyfriend. He was a heavy partying college kid, that used the car as a DD & for his lawn care service vehicle when he ran outta beer. Well, he let the injector seals rot & it caused a massive engine fire that destroyed most of the wiring underhood, toasted the hood & the tops of the fenders. Prior to this, the clutch was gone, it only had 100 psi of compression on 2 cylinders (40-80 on the others), smoked like frieght train, had terd brown paint that was almost flaked off, roaring diff & wheel bearings, only rear brakes, terminal body cancer, two 6" deep dents on each quarter panel (from getting it stuck between two posts on a drunken joy ride), rotted exhaust system, fluid leaks everywhere, & an interior that looked & smelled like he raised wild boars in it. Needless to say, he was going to sell it to a junk yard for $100 in scrap metal, so I offerd him $150 just to rescue it! And he took it, way back in 1998, & I drove, yes, drove the car home 1.5 miles from his apartment. I wish I had a camera back then to really show everyone that many Z's in the junk yards today looked like show winners next to this thing. But you ask why did I buy it? Well 3 reasons. 1) At 8 years old, in 1982, my next door neighbor drove a spanking new blue/ silver 280ZX-T & he always had hot girlfriends in it. So, I saw that car as a status quo of coolness, not to mention the boosted burnouts he would do for the neighborhood kids on occasion! Loved the ZX from then on. 2) I always loved the hardtop S130's & the shape of the car. Don't get me wrong, the S30's were hot, but the ZX to me was sleeker & turbo, baby! 3) It was really the only Z I could afford being a 24 year old newlywed w/ a 6 month old baby..LOL. But I appreciate this site so much, & I enjoy all you guys keeping the car I loved so much a boy, ALIVE & better than ever with 21st century technology! The pics below are the results of a uni-body off restoration that finished in March 2009. But, being a HybridZ-er, I have a new driveline & motor ready to go in next month...sorry no pics, top secret till then. But, currently this car is a blast to drive, with over 400 turbo boosted rwhp, comfort, great brakes, handling, & looks IMO. BTW, everthing on this car I have done myself- fiberglass, paint, driveline, tuning, etc. So I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years! And you young dudes coming up, give the S130 some love, it was the top selling Z of all time, so there are still plenty out there that need a good home.79S130Zturbopics1001.jpg79S130Zturbopics1002.jpg79S130Zturbopics1005.jpg79S130Zturbopics1006.jpg79S130Zturbopics1007.jpg79S130Zturbopics1011.jpg79S130Zturbopics1012.jpg79S130Zturbopics1013.jpg79S130Zturbopics1017.jpg79S130Zturbopics1019.jpg79S130Zturbopics1021.jpg79S130Zturbopics1022.jpg79S130Zturbopics1023.jpg79S130Zturbopics1010.jpg79S130Zturbopics1027.jpg79S130Zturbopics1028.jpg

Hey all, here's my driving donor car.It's an 82 280zxt with some rust issues. I'll be using it's drivetrain to power my 79 slick top 2 seater restoration project.

So far I've done:

3" exhaust; Magnaflow muffler

Dsm blow-off valve welded to jpipe

Aluminum rad

17" Enkei's; Falken tires

rear coil-overs

manual boost controler-8psi for now

more to come:

2 1/2" intercooler,T3/T4,Z31 Maf,ect...

post-10302-12691835280229_thumb.jpgpost-10302-12691835371824_thumb.jpg

post-10302-126918399382_thumb.jpg

Sure thing man, bring that thing to TN & I can do it! Believe you me, I started with much worse with mine...LOL!

I like the way your custom rims match the steering wheel.Nice touch there!Got any before pics for motivation?

Edited by PR280z

Hey all, here's my driving donor car.It's an 82 280zxt with some rust issues. I'll be using it's drivetrain to power my 79 slick top 2 seater restoration project.

So far I've done:

3" exhaust; Magnaflow muffler

Dsm blow-off valve welded to jpipe

Aluminum rad

17" Enkei's; Falken tires

rear coil-overs

manual boost controler-8psi for now

more to come:

2 1/2" intercooler,T3/T4,Z31 Maf,ect...

post-10302-12691835371824_thumb.jpg

What rad are you using?

PR280Z,

Thanks for noticing the one of the theme cues. It was hard to pull that one off! Ha ha. The three things you should do IMO is this:

1)Invision your car the way YOU wish Datsun/ Nissan could have built it....with parts from every other car in the world, but still unmistakeably a Z!

2)Pick a theme that translates all through the car & matches or compliments groups of components on the car. A Z can never have enough style, power, grip, sound, etc.....unless YOU say it does.

3)Don't make the mistake of doing too much at once, wishing you had more money for this or that, or take other people's opinions as absolute. Let the "project" be an extension of YOU, because it's YOURS! Don't get discouraged because your Z isn't like everyone elses, if it was, this site wouldn't be what it is...DIVERSE & AWESOME! (Yes, I used an 80's word)

• 2 weeks later...

dude those would get you pulled off the road in europe in a heartbeat! next to that .. buy some stock H4 lenses and than judge! Even with xenons this light wel be some much more agle to help you.. instead of flare all over...

Hounestly its junk.. (that coming form guy praising the OBX diff)

I have tryed different ones right now I'm in the process of adjusting my lights nothing big I just put my lights on for visiblity not for looks we got a lot of dark streets and my lights weren't doing the job. Not really judging only talking about what I've seen here I know there better lights out there and honestly don't care to brag or judge cuz I ain't.

i've been watching, and seems like i may have payed a lot for my z. It's a white 1979zx 5spd with 110k miles and i bought it for $1750. Thought i was getting an ok deal. >:( No leaks, paint faded and flaking, surface rust and 1 nickel size hole and a rocker rot patch. Drives really great! I've yet to get the car on a lift to check the frame and underbody. I visually inspected it myself and couldn't find any rot but a lift will expose it all. Hopefully i'm lucky. She needs a tuneup, and simple bolt ons/upgrades to make her get the most whp and mpg. She's my daily driver and i've read that few people are getting 27mpg after tuneup and with mega squirt will see better results! I'm so happy with this lil Z, so pretty and a show stopper despite being in poor shape.

post-11218-12704836839066_thumb.jpg

personally I would say 1750 for a Z with little to no rust and with a decent to very nice interior would be worth that amount. You can sand the car down yourself and then take it to get painted for $260 to whatever you want to spend, so the paint imo isnt a huge issue on such an old car. Any interior pics? Great find!