HybridZ

My new wheels!

I just got some new wheels for my car. I liked my 17's but I finally found some 4 lug wheels with some dish / lip on them and I just had to have them! They are Sport Max 962 hyper silver's. Fronts are 18x7.5 with 225/40/ZR18 and the rears are 18x9.5 with 265/35/ZR18(next time I will go with a 275 to fill out the rim better). The rear lip is 3.25" and I believe the front is 2.25". The overall hight of the tire/rim combo is about 25.1"-25.3". I am using MMS wheel spacers(1.5" thick I think) on the fronts and in the pic I am using them in the rear but I am looking for 20mm thick spacers to get more of the tire inside the wheel well. I think it will look better if the tire isn't sticking out so much in the rear.

new_wheels3.JPG

new_wheels1.JPG

new_wheels2.JPG

new_wheels4.JPG

By the way a6t8vw thanks for helping me find this wheel! They look great on your car too!

Guy

Looks good!

It seems that the bigger the diameter you run, the wider you can go. A couple of questions:

Could you have run 8.5's on the front?

Did you have Ross custom make wider adapters for you? I have his adapters and I don't think they are 1.5" wide.

So you're think of removing the rear adapter and running just a 20mm spacer? A 35 offset with a 20mm spacer somes out to a total offset of 15 mm which equates to roughly 5.84 inches of backspace. Do you think you could fit this because the rims are 18's? Are you running 8" or 10" springs?

Looks good!

It seems that the bigger the diameter you run, the wider you can go. A couple of questions:

Could you have run 8.5's on the front?

Did you have Ross custom make wider adapters for you? I have his adapters and I don't think they are 1.5" wide.

So you're think of removing the rear adapter and running just a 20mm spacer? A 35 offset with a 20mm spacer somes out to a total offset of 15 mm which equates to roughly 5.84 inches of backspace. Do you think you could fit this because the rims are 18's? Are you running 8" or 10" springs?

Bart, remember I'm running a 280ZX not an S30. I am just running a set of Tokico struts with lowering springs(I think its a 1"-1.5" drop). My spacers are the standard MMS spacers for a 280ZX. I might be able to run an 8" wheel in front but it would get pretty close to the strut housing. The wheel size didn't seem to play a huge part in fitting these in back, the 280ZX has a lot more room back there than people think. I'm not sure if I'm going to run thinner spacers out back yet or not. I think I'm going to drive it and see if I like the look or not. They really don't stick out that much. Atleast I know if they are sticking out too much I can go with with them yet about 3/4" till they would hit the lower control arm.

Man either my old wheels sucked ass or these new ones are just that great! LOL Everyone loves these wheels on my car(eveyone I work with and all my friends are saying how much better these are too! LOL).

Guy

Thanks for the info Guy. After doing some more searching it appears that MMS Honda wheel adapters for the ZX are approximately 1.5" thick and the Honda wheel adapters for the Z are approximately 1" thick. I guess that's why the ZX adapters are a little more expensive than the Z one's. It does look like you have more room to play with as well and that you could easily fit in a wider tire if you wanted too.

Finding the right wheels and tires is quite a process for our cars, but it looks like you found a good combination for your car. I hope to have a new set for my car soon as well.

Man either my old wheels sucked ass or these new ones are just that great! LOL Everyone loves these wheels on my car(eveyone I work with and all my friends are saying how much better these are too! LOL).

Guy

It's not that the old rims sucked its more that the new wheels look great! They also match the car better.