HybridZ

S30 body line.....your thoughts.

Savage42

Guys, it's interesting to see different Z car with the "disappearing" body line and those with a highlighted body line. What do you guys think and if you did body & paint, which way did you go? Here are just 2 quick examples:

EPSN0019-3.jpg

1-Bodyline-BURRL.jpg

Are you referring to getting rid of the pilar emblems? I like them and they do serve a purpose in not sealing the interior. Anyway, I was referring to the body line that goes from the rear edge and goes just along the top of the rear fender to the front fender. Some cars have a sharp edge, others don't have one. Difference in body work, for sure. My car had an edge that wasn't consistent, so I had it redone to sharpen the line all the way across the side of the car.

with the line gone it gives the body a more sentuial look. It starts to reproduce the lines of italian sports cars of the 50's and 60's. With the line in there it brakes up the body more and goes with the kit that is on the car. I personally would say no crease and keep it smooth........but then again that is just me....

It's hard to tell from your question. If you're referring to the sculptured crease 2/3rds up the door, I say leave it in place. The horizontal lines on the Z visually stretch the car out. To my eye, this works to the advantage when the Z is lowered, and especially if lower skirts have been added. I've always thought the S30 was less than ideal in a height/length/width aspect, and any horizontal sculpturing helps improve these ratios visually. Paint choice also has a lot to do with the end result of these shapes in that a metallic will emphasize these changes more than solid colors will.

Guys, it's interesting to see different Z car with the "disappearing" body line and those with a highlighted body line. What do you guys think and if you did body & paint, which way did you go? Here are just 2 quick examples:

EPSN0019-3.jpg

1-Bodyline-BURRL.jpg

Datsun and Mr. K wanted it there. I say keep it. I think it adds dimension to the car.

I can understand your thinking in removing the crease, it does tend to give your ride the super smooth "Boydster" look, I'm leaving mine on to strech the car, but I'm also ditching my rain gutter as I feel it is cluttering the area just behind the door. It will take a decent amount of body work to sharpen and perfect the line but I really feel it is worth it, as the car it self looks squat to me, I feel the lines would look pretty good if you had a nose extension (G-Nose) or headlight covers . but again this is just my thoughts it your ride, make it pleasing to your eye. Keith

personally i think that line is what make a z, a z, if ur gonna remove that line, y dontcha jst remove the slow slope to the rear, and the candy scoop head lights, and the long hood. Just my thoughts.

and the L6, and the r180, and the stock suspension....

its a mod like any other, do it if you like it, personally i like the line though.

are we talking about the sharp angularity in the picture of the second car, that distorts the reflection, running along the line of the door handle... or the line that runs just above the gas filler door?? I can't really tell that either "line" is diffused in the first picture. I THOUGHT we were talking the door handle line, but "that line is a major part of a Z" only really fits the "rump" shape line going above the gas door... ????

are we talking about the sharp angularity in the picture of the second car, that distorts the reflection, running along the line of the door handle... or the line that runs just above the gas filler door?? I can't really tell that either "line" is diffused in the first picture. I THOUGHT we were talking the door handle line, but "that line is a major part of a Z" only really fits the "rump" shape line going above the gas door... ????

Yes, the sharp body line that runs from the rear quarter all the way to the front fender. I had my friend put in about 20 hrs of extra time in working that body line. It's obvious, with or without, it sure gives the car a different look.

Yes, the sharp body line that runs from the rear quarter all the way to the front fender. I had my friend put in about 20 hrs of extra time in working that body line. It's obvious, with or without, it sure gives the car a different look.

by "working" that body line, do you mean he made it more noticeable, or less?