HybridZ

Pictures of welded R200 differential

maxtor

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it supposed to be welded on the sides like that too? or just the spider gears?

in that photo, it doesn't look like the wheels will turn at all.

Yes, the carrier turns as it is bolted to the ring gear. Welding the spider to the carrier is the strongest way to do it. I've done quite a few the same way.

yeah I went outside and took the cover off and saw how it spins, I get it.

Just finished welding mine up. All I have is a Mig, So i sprayed silicone spray on stuff I didn't want the splatter to stick too as well as wiring brushing it during welding. I did what I could. This was my first one. I'll post up pics later as I'm not sure if i need to weld more or not.

-Ed

Ok.. the pics turned out really crappy, I shoulda taken more. But this is what I got...

Diff.jpg

Diff2.jpg

Diff3.jpg

Diff4.jpg

It's really hard to see but there is a good bead between the teeth, your only seeing the top. I welded all 4 spider gears front and back, and to the carier on two sides front and back.

I don't know... compared to that one posted Mine looks like ♥♥♥♥ lol.

You need to remove the differential, remove the ring gear. I use duct tape to tape up the surface where the ring gear mounts and around the bearings. Then you need to put some heat to it. Those welds are not going to hold. You can take it to a welding shop and have them burn the spider gears all the way around / attaching to the carrier. Also do the other side as well. If you leave like it is it will cause great problems later on. Just my opinion.

John

This really looks like crap. I'm not happy with this at all. I might add some more to it just for "cosmetics"

it's just metal, I can take it apart, grind on it and lay down some nicer beads. Underneath all the "pigeon crap" were some good beads, I filled in the entire space between gears and the Pigeon crap is just on top. Either way I'll be takn' her apart today and cleaning it up for round two. This time I'll heat the metal. And if it breaks later on i've got a couple sapres lol.

-Ed