HybridZ

4" too big?

myplasticegg

I just put a l28et into my 260Z and need an exhaust. I plan on upgrading to a holset HX35 or HY35, the one without the divided exhaust housing. Anyway, I only want to make one real exhaust. Will a 4" be too big for a holset? Will it fit in a big bumper 260? They are 4" outlet, so I am not worried about that. If it will fit, then I will just slap on a side exit onto the stock downpipe until i get the holset.

So yeah, Will 4" be too big for a holset in an S30?

Thanks, Shane

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly if your keeping the I6 no matter what turbo your running I wouldn't go any bigger than a 3 inch mandrel bent system. Plus with the 4 inch WILL kill your gound clearance for for very little to no gain over a good 3 inch system. In closing don't waste your money and kill your car with a 4 inch system.

That's just what i was looking for! Thanks guys.

BTW, i found a good source for 10' straight pipe and mandrel bends in everything up to 4". the electrical store!

I'm going to go ahead and build a nice 3" from the stock downpipe back to the tail. When i get the holset, i'll just connect that up. I'de rather not have to make an exhaust twice.

Thanks guys!

Guest 280ZForce

I fabricated my own 4" down pipe and exhaust system for my holset hy35... but I don't think it'll do you much good with your setup. If you had a more aggressive engine setup, then I'd say go for it. BUT you'll benefit just fine from a 3" setup.

I made mine 3 pieces all connected by v-bands.

But here's mine...

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

Guest 280ZForce
280ZForce' date='

where did you source the 4" v-band clamps and flanges?[/quote']

I got it from Burns Stainless... http://www.burnsstainless.com/Hardware/Clamps/clamps.html

i love your setup 280zforce!

would love to hear a sound clip!

Yes, I would love to hear it too! Unfortunately the Z isn't ready yet still, it's close but I've got some things I've gotta finish some how before I can fire off the new engine.

The Japanese were routinely running 125mm exhaust systems on Twin-Turbo High-Horsepower (444Kw to the rear wheels) S30's in the 80's.

Sure, 75mm Single or Twin 50mm was what all the N/A guys were running, but the Big Turbo Guys were fitting those sewer pipes under there...

The only real tight spot is near the differential, really. Everyplace else you can fit just about anything else you want.

Guest 280ZForce

the stock holset down pipe is only 4" for the 1st couple of inches, then it goes down to like 3.5" almost instantly. either way, going 4"-3.5" to 2.5" is too much restriction on that setup.

N/A L-series benefit more from a 3" system than a 2.5" system, so imagine a turbo would need atleast a 3" to get the power outta it that you are supposed to.

Don't waste your time and money doing a 2.5". Even if you use the stock holset downpipe elbow, go w/ a 3" system all the way back atleast.

• 1 month later...
I fabricated my own 4" down pipe and exhaust system for my holset hy35... but I don't think it'll do you much good with your setup. If you had a more aggressive engine setup, then I'd say go for it. BUT you'll benefit just fine from a 3" setup.

I made mine 3 pieces all connected by v-bands.

But here's mine...

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

hey I put my radiator overflow bottle, and fan control in the same place.