HybridZ

Got a new Z :)

240hoke

Just got a 2003 350z Track Edition... and I absolutely LOVE IT.

I am especially impressed with the handling as a bone stock car this thing is awesome. Stays flat in the corners and is pretty stiff. its also got just the right amount of pep for a fun daily, with the 6spd its a lot of fun. Switching from my 330CI this thing is a blast especially since it pulls at highways speeds not just geared to take off down low.

I'm thinking about keeping my vq240z N/A and using it as a track car and turboing this one in the future. To start she will get lowered, black powdercoated wheels, and Im going to make an intake and exhaust for it. Anyway enough rambling here are some pics I took today:

IMG_3408.sized.jpg

IMG_3413.sized.jpg

IMG_3414.sized.jpg

PS My BMW 330CI is for sale if anybody is interested here are some pictures:

http://gallery.voodoo-people.com/album889

Thanks for the comments guys.

As far as why the switch from the bmw... well I have always had and loved bmw's. Ive had two e36's and this was my first e46. They are really nice and fun to drive, I enjoyed the interior of my 330CI a lot and for the type of car it is its very sporty. Buttttttttttt.... there just isn't a lot about it that moves me. To be honest I got bored of it and its a car thats hard to modify and make your own (at least for a reasonable price anyway!) With the way I drive I was always worried I was gonna break something and end up with a maintenance bill out the whazooo! The 350 is much faster and handles better, its got a VLSD and I can turn the traction control all the way off! I will miss the rear seat a bit but I can deal with it :).

The German tag on the bmw is just thats its a authentic german tag. I always liked having them on my bimmers. My family traces its roots back to germany as well but that doesnt have much to do with it I just like em heh.

I feel like I will be able to enjoy the z for much longer and since I enjoy playing with cars I feel its something that I can work on modify. Oh and since my 240z is off jackstands like 5 days a year I can still go to Z events with my DD heh.

Asking a somewhat transparent question… how does the low-end and midrange torque of the E46 330 compare with the 350Z?

I have a love-hate relationship with my E36 (1992 325is). I love the RWD and the overall dynamics of the chassis (well, at least at my level of driving “skillâ€) but I’m deeply frustrated with the lack of torque. My 1990 4-cylinder Honda Accord has more torque off the line, and that is a very embarrassing admission!

A fellow at work recently bought a Porsche Cayman, base model (not “Sâ€). Though of course the market segment is rather different, soon after buying his Porsche at my request he test-drove a 350Z. His report was that compared to the Cayman, the Z felt more sluggish in moderate-speed corners, but was at least as fast in straightline acceleration.

Tom - The VA plates are the original owners I am still waiting on the title, and damn VA!!!! Stupid front license tag i have two damn holes in the bumper so ill have to repaint the bumper come summer.

Micheal - as far as the bmw torque, first off i love bmw engines they are the smoothest engines I have ever driven, simply sweet... I also had a 93 325is. But your right they have no torque, thats one reason I think bmw's are geared so high 5th is 1:1 in my 330. My 330 would take off from 0-45 mph but over that it was all over just didn't have any go. The vq owns the s50 engine in everyway except smoothness! Well and besides the fact that the s50 internals are probably much stronger. But if you ever want to build one its gonna get expensive!

On a side note though I drove my 325is to 240K miles before I sold it (still running strong). I loved the car kinda wish I still had it. Ive always wanted a turbo one. Here is a pic of it:

DSCN6150.sized.jpg

To start she will get lowered, black powdercoated wheels, and Im going to make an intake and exhaust for it. Anyway enough rambling here are some pics I took today:

Nice looking Z. Don't know if you found it yet but the wiki for the 350z is the best wiki i've seen. Also you can remove the cats for an easy 5-10hp and the light won't come on but it makes the stock exhaust sound worse than any honda i've ever heard. So look into getting an exhaust before you do anything cat forward. FYI I ran an injen SES dual and loved it. In the next month or so I will be getting myself another DD and it will be either a 350z or c5 z06 just don't know if I can justify/afford the extra $200 a month a z06 costs. But yeah 350z track is a nice ride. Did you get the leather? Nav? Leather is really a nice option. Nav is helpful when you are exploring around the day before the SEZ event.

Hey Thumper, thanks for the tips I have heard cat deletion make it super raspy, Im thinking about using Corsa muffler/mufflers for my exhaust, but Ive got some researching to do... I have to build tthree vq exhaust systems so Ive got a couple trys to make it right lol. Building one for the 240 one for the 350 and one for my buddy.

Its got cloth seats and no nav. I thought that leather wasnt an option on the track unless you got a grand touring which doesnt have volks? But I dont know to much about the trim levels, wasnt something that concerned me much. I actually have a Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS unit that I prefer over factory setups. I have it hard wired but can move it from car to car if I so choose. Its also touch screen and can be updated easier, has blue toot hand fm transmitter and yada yada. My brother works for Garmin too so I get the hookup :)

Probably going to get started on the intake next week hopefully, then exhaust.

Hey Thumper, thanks for the tips I have heard cat deletion make it super raspy, Im thinking about using Corsa muffler/mufflers for my exhaust, but Ive got some researching to do... I have to build tthree vq exhaust systems so Ive got a couple trys to make it right lol. Building one for the 240 one for the 350 and one for my buddy.

Its got cloth seats and no nav. I thought that leather wasnt an option on the track unless you got a grand touring which doesnt have volks? But I dont know to much about the trim levels, wasnt something that concerned me much. I actually have a Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS unit that I prefer over factory setups. I have it hard wired but can move it from car to car if I so choose. Its also touch screen and can be updated easier, has blue toot hand fm transmitter and yada yada. My brother works for Garmin too so I get the hookup :)

Probably going to get started on the intake next week hopefully, then exhaust.

Don't forget the plenum spacer:icon6: My car with just a motordyne spacer and everything else factory stock I ran a 13.6 in the summer. So it does do what they say. I think the clotch seats hold you better but imho the leather looks nicer. The leather and navigation was an option you had to order with the track. The touring and grand tourning got the leather standard. Its very hard to find a track with leather but i've seen some. Also the stock track wheels look sweet powdercoated black. Damn I might be getting a track model soon.

mmm I love S4's. They can be such nasty sleepers. I drove a couple before I bought my bimmer, but a bimmer's maintenance bill is penny's compared to the horror stories I had heard from S4's. Still a sick car i drove one with just an exhaust, 15psi chip, and metal bov's and it was hella fun.

Has she treated you well?

Warren - Maybe so heh, odds are my 240z wont be done by the next event though so ill just be driving this thing down to chill.

my friend just got a 2001 s4 its pretty much stock but its about to change. but your right that is one nice ride.. the allwheel drive is amazing i can be completely out of control sliding around a corner yet still be in control. i love that car.... but my z is still faster lol

My wife has an Audi 4...a red one....... its no S4 but Audi sure does build a nice ride. The two liter 4 banger could use more torque but when you slip it into sport mode...yes its an auto.....that thing wants to go. I keep toying with the idea of installing a boost controller and uping the power a bit.... ;)....

Congrats Austin. A new car is always exciting, just driving it and getting to know the ins and outs of it, much less the future perforamance plans that you have for it.

So your car has the Xenon headlights as well correct?

I have been looking at E36 and E46 M3 BMWs. Most of the E36s are really getting neglected and tired and many are at 10 or more years old and most owners have given up on maintaining them. The E36 M3 was not as quick as I had hoped either, but a beautiful car to look at, sit in and go around corners. The E46 M3s '00-'03 have had multiple issues with cam failure and rod bearing failure which BMW have yet to own up to, but have replaced many motors under warranty, so I backed away.

Anyway congrats again on your new purchase!

Yasin