HybridZ

What is your Daily Driver?

JustinOlson

Well I need ideas for a new daily driver as driving my 280z every day is driving me nuts. I fix one thing, and two new things break :)

My budget is up to 6000, but I would be fine spending half that if I could find a decent deal. I'm a college student and work full time. I was thinking of the following:

240sx

SC300

honda civic

bmw z3 (not sure on maintenance cost)

mazda miata

bmw e36 (not sure on maintenance cost)

acura legend coupe

acura cl coupe

subaru impreza

subaru outback

subaru legacy

Anyway, just curious if people have recommendations for what to look at and what to not look at.

Justin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive a R31 skyline.

3L RB powahhh!!!!!! but no turbs.

It cost me $400, and its mostly reliable. best part is i dont care if it gets damaged, so if something is in the way, like a shopping trolley, i just knock it over.

I have had a lot of cheap daily's, usually i find them through friends Ect, and i generally drive them till the rego runs out, and strip and sell them.

usually the proceeds go to a new shi!!er, but i often get quite a few parts out of them that can be adapted to other projects.

Probably my criteria for a daily would be;

Good on fuel

generally mechanically sound (im a qualified mech, so i can fix a lot easliy)

NOT cop bait.

anything else is a bonus.

one of my disposable cars didnt have a stereo for 8 months, needless to say, i got good at singing to myself (well, i thought so anyway)

Can't go wrong with a Civic especially if you want to keep costs low. As long as the timing belt has been replaced, you usually don't have much to worry about on them. Otherwise I'd say go for the 240sx or Miata. The euro cars will cost a little more for maintenance parts at your local parts store.

93 Sentra B13 SE-R. Used to get 26-28mpg city.

Now with that pulse driving technique I might break 30mpg!

Depending on your size and the year, the Miata might be too small. The thing I don't like about it is the very limited trunk space... Especially if you keep a spare tire in it. On the other hand, I can fit an L engine in my sentra just by removing the manifolds...

Legends are pricey to repair, and finding a manual one is really hard (if that even matters...). I'd go 240sx -> Miata -> Sc300. I'd love a e36 BMW but at this age they are starting to be neglected.

Mario

I have a 97' saab 9000 aero. Ive been driving them for my last couple daily drivers. They are large, can fit alot in the hatch, get great gasmileage, best Ive done is around 36 hwy, and they are comfortable on road trips. They can be had pretty cheap too and the maitenance really isn't bad at all.

My DD

16142DSC01112.JPG

Avants make great daily drivers but for 6k or less how about a CRX hf. 40+ MPG and decent trunk space. It's just hard to find one these days that hasn't been hacked up.

If you want something different how about a E28 5-series. You can turbo it when you no longer need it as a daily driver. Just throwing options out there :flamedevi.

My dd is a 94 Acura Integra GSR. Small car, about Civic size but with the 1.8 litre dohc engine. It's fun to drive, cheap to operate at 28-30 mpg daily and it will do better on the interstate. As mentioned above about hondas, the timing belt is the one maint. item to stay on top of. It handles pretty well and can be made to handle excellent. I've got over 200k on mine and other than the faded paint, it's still in excellent condition.

chris

You have much snow in Portland? I live in that great bit of California that gets 115 summers and snow storms in the winter(at home the snow, 15 minutes, the summer heat).

Might want to stick with FF or AWD if you have much, the tow companys love the weekend skiers going into the ditches.

Subaru 22B - daily except fridays - get a WRX keep it stock and you will not complain.

PGC10 2000 GT-R - fridays - to keep it lubricated

1971 240Z - would be my daily driver, but it is a project car...

weekends: mamas taxi - a SUV to cart family around.

South African 5c - make it less than 1c US

m

DSCF2324_thumb.JPG

DSCF1883_thumb.JPG

DSCF0454_thumb.JPG

For me, I want a NA car for daily driving. I dont want to have another turbo car.

We don't get much snow in portland. Its really not an issue here. My roommate has a 2002 ranger 4X4 and the other a jeep so I'm set for camping/mountain vehicles.

I really would like a 2.5RS impreza, but I think I like them too much. I really need a car that I won't be tempted to do anything to as I have too many of those already. I just want a car I will get in and it will take me to the destination of my choice. Kinda lame I can't control myself enough to have a cool car that I don't MOD. :)

Another thought is a Audi A4 2.8L 30v quattro (99-01). Those cars aren't too bad for price. Parts would be higher tho.

Justin

My daily driver is my 1982 280zx n/a. Has been the last couple of years. I just rolled over 207k, the past couple of days. (oh now my Z is all flat black)

Anyway I would take the Civic, or Miata, for your daily driver choice. But personally to me. My Z has been a great dependable daily driver for me. And I do keep up on his maintenance. And drive him hard here and there. ;)

011_thumb.JPG

003_thumb.JPG

002_thumb.JPG

004_thumb.JPG

My dd/winter car is a 1997 Grand Prix GTP coupe. Good looking, lots of power and fun to drive. Good mileage on the highway, decent in the city. Great on snow and ice (important up here in Canada). I've got 270 km on it and no major problems.

Great cheap car. Would recommend it to anybody.