HybridZ

Fast and the Furious 4 casting call...

BurnoutZ

Im actually surprised how many people liked this, I usually have somewhat low standards for movies, but I really did not like this one. Im not going to get into my reasons, but for one I felt like the movie totally did not focus on cars, which is the whole reason why I came to see it. And another thing, and im sure im not alone on this, WHY DOES HOLLYWOOD KEEP DESTROYING REALLY NICE/RARE CARS FOR ENTERTAINMENT!?!?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6/22/2001 The Fast and the Furious $40,089,015

6/6/2003 2 Fast 2 Furious $50,472,480

6/16/2006 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift $23,973,840

4/3/2009 Fast & Furious $70,950,500

First weekend gross statistics. Looks like the newest one made the most money so maybe destroying rare cars is worth it? Lol...

• Administrators

Hoke summed it up pretty well.

Warning, NOT so humble opinion contained within… whistle.gif

I see these box office numbers as proof there are more and more people fixated with their image and ego, wanting to be something they are not, (ricers) vs being genuinely original. :icon45: The box office figures mean squat diddly regarding the quality of a movie. Look no further than how many kids think their big exhaust tips on a stock four cylinder wrong wheel drive 4 door economy car is a straight up race car! ass.gifclown.gifOr at least they want everyone else to think they are cool enough to be driving a racecar on the street... This is the crowd producing those big box office figures! Go figure. scratch.gif Today they are called "ricers". When I was younger we called them posers. same thing really, just a different generation, but a WHOLE lot more of them today!

Straight up, the original 1968 release of “Herbie the Love Bug”, (we play it in the shop DVD player regularly), is HANDS down a higher quality movie than ALL of the FnFurious ricer movies could ever be, combined! The characters, the drama, even a good portion of the plot is attentive to the cars by comparison. Some may even say its more realistic/believable!?!?! :lmao:

Stepping down off my soap box...

Edited by BRAAP

I agree

did u guys really like Tokyo drift, i mean i really like the racing scenes, but as far as the movie went i felt embarrassed to watch it with how dorky the lines were lol. The only cool character in the movie was han, and they killed him. plus how can u have a cool movie with little bow wow...seriously

These are some disappointing reviews. I was hoping this movie might bring some hope to the series, but I'm afraid not.

Why aren't there any good car movies in recent years? Why does this generation have to look toward Gone in 60 Seconds to find characters that actually seems to know something about cars? Why can't directors/producers/writers at least TRY to make the real car guys believe what's on screen?

I don't think I'm being a purist/narrow minded either. There are geeks out there who are salivating at the movies now that comic book movies are being done RIGHT from time to time, and showing the rest of the world how entertaining they can be without being "nerdy". Why can't anyone do that for the car genre?

Although they've been decent "popcorn flicks" the fnf franchise is making me sick to call myself a gear head. They're tainting our name in culture imo.

it's entertainment....not a documentary....if we were all well versed in ALL subjects....every movie out there would be painful to sit through.im talkin about a gearhead noticing a missing driveshaft to a botanist who'd notice incorrect vegetation for a given set. in the end, i was entertained...

it's entertainment....not a documentary....if we were all well versed in ALL subjects....every movie out there would be painful to sit through.im talkin about a gearhead noticing a missing driveshaft to a botanist who'd notice incorrect vegetation for a given set. in the end, i was entertained...

i agree with that!

im talkin about a gearhead noticing a missing driveshaft to a botanist who'd notice incorrect vegetation for a given set.

It's not even that...it just tries too hard. Nitromethane injection on a street-driven car? Nitromethane residue on the ground? Nitromethane only sold in one shop in L.A.? I almost laughed out loud in the theater at that one. The wheelies were real this time, instead of using a hydraulic rolling rig under the car...

Hah! Nope, there was a huge counterweight on the back instead this time. Certainly a real 'wheelie', but not because of power.

Did they even check their facts, or did they just skim a few message boards and start writing? Who writes this junk?

So much of what's in that movie comes off as downright silly to those who know, and it's glommed onto by those who don't know better and is then perpetuated.

The franchise isn't about cars, it's not about being a gearhead, it's about the 'SCENE'...and if there's one thing I can't stand, it's scenes and scensters. 'Culture' that's all about image and 'cred'. :icon45:

Purile sensationalism at best. This stuff is made to get a buck out of us...if it was made for a love of making movies, a love of cars and actual racing, we'd be getting stuff like Le Mans and Grand Prix.

Of course, they got my hard-earned $10. I'm a sucker like that. Pass the popcorn. popcorn.gif

I see these box office numbers as proof there are more and more people fixated with their image and ego, wanting to be something they are not, (ricers) vs being genuinely original. :icon45: The box office figures mean squat diddly regarding the quality of a movie. Look no further than how many kids think their big exhaust tips on a stock four cylinder wrong wheel drive 4 door economy car is a straight up race car! ass.gifclown.gifOr at least they want everyone else to think they are cool enough to be driving a racecar on the street... This is the crowd producing those big box office figures! Go figure. scratch.gif Today they are called "ricers". When I was younger we called them posers. same thing really, just a different generation, but a WHOLE lot more of them today!

Straight up, the original 1968 release of “Herbie the Love Bugâ€, (we play it in the shop DVD player regularly), is HANDS down a higher quality movie than ALL of the FnFurious ricer movies could ever be, combined! The characters, the drama, even a good portion of the plot is attentive to the cars by comparison. Some may even say its more realistic/believable!?!?! :lmao:

Very well said, and I agree!

did u guys really like Tokyo drift, i mean i really like the racing scenes, but as far as the movie went i felt embarrassed to watch it with how dorky the lines were lol. The only cool character in the movie was han, and they killed him. plus how can u have a cool movie with little bow wow...seriously

Haha I would have to agree.

I thought FnF 4 was good. Yes it had scenes that were overdramatised but isnt all of hollywood like that? (I would have to agree, the tunnel were very overdone and there was another part/detail in the middle of the movie I thought that wouldve been brought up later toward the end) Is every movie perfect though? I find it funny when some people complain about FnF being unrealistic, but when say TRANSFORMERS(A fantasy movie) comes out they're all "WOW! Such a great movie!"..

All in all I was entertained...

well i guess since everyone knows already. yes the car is going to be in the movie. :lol: Suppose to be some Dominican republic race scene.

aziza,

I saw the movie this past weekend and watched intently for any sign of your Z to no avail. The closet thing was a red (first glance, and it was quick, looked like a 280ZX) car parked 2nd or 3rd in line at Letty's funeral(?).

AMEN MAN AMMMMEENNN :rockon:

Straight up, the original 1968 release of “Herbie the Love Bugâ€, (we play it in the shop DVD player regularly), is HANDS down a higher quality movie than ALL of the FnFurious ricer movies could ever be, combined! The characters, the drama, even a good portion of the plot is attentive to the cars by comparison. Some may even say its more realistic/believable!?!?! :lmao:

• Administrators

I agree, its purpose was for entertainment, it just failed to deliver something original. It had the, "oh so typical", beat to death plot. Gigantic egos, fights, car chases, etc. They intermixed that same old teeny-bopper style ego movie with cars and the ricers, (unoriginal car guys), are going nuts over it! shrug.gif The problem with the FnFurious crap is that it has no originality. We didn’t necessarily expect a documentary, though that would also be rather cool, (Anyone reading this thread old enough to remember “On any Sunday”?) We were just hoping it would be a movie with cool custom cars that is original, a movie “car guys” would appreciate and want to see, maybe even twice!

Tokyo Drift was probably the most original of the series so far. The story, how the plot builds was typical, but it was original and it was a movie about a side of the automotive sport that is new and original, not so typical. It was still just OK, but better than the others because it was original, fresh, current.

The example I used earlier, the original 1968 "Herbie the Love Bug" was fantasy, lots of "unreal" content, far from being any sort of documentary, though entertainment wise was head and shoulders above the FnFruoious. Herbie was original! The plot, the characters, how the movie flowed. etc.

Entertainment wise, if people like to see the same old warmed over car chase, fight, more car chase and fight scenes with a boy kissing a girl in the end with some CG thrown in, and with just a splash/smidgeon of a variety of cool custom cars, FnFurois will deliver. If you are looking for something original, new, fresh, with a plot "involving" cool custom cars... the latest FnFurious; FAIL!

Edited by BRAAP

Haven't seen FnF4 yet, but I did see a truly great car movie - Le Mans with Steve McQueen. Heck, they entered a car equipped with loads of cameras into the '70 Le Mans!!!!

Porsche and Ferrari duking it out, what could be better? Plus, you catch a 'Vette in some of scenes.

I find it funny when some people complain about FnF being unrealistic, but when say TRANSFORMERS(A fantasy movie) comes out they're all "WOW! Such a great movie!"..[/size]

All in all I was entertained...

I understand what you're saying, but think about this: The 3D art group that did the largest chunk of designing the models for transformers actually took the time to figure out how to do it right, and developed a space for everything to go somewhere. They didn't simply have the CAR, and then the TRANSFORMER, and an animation sequence to make people go "ooo, ahhh", they figured out how to make it work, physically. How can we pack all of this transformer model into a real vehicle frame? That was their challenge. It's also one of the main reasons why the physically larger transformers were larger vehicles. It just works better.

It's that kind of thought and creativity that makes a movie BELIEVABLE. I find it hilarious that a "fantasy" movie like transformers is in many ways MORE believable than any of the FnF movies I've seen (all the first three).

The movie experience for most isn't just about a good story, good action, or good acting, it's about how well it draws you into the world it's creating, which is how a movie becomes more than the sum of it's parts. THAT'S entertainment. A "popcorn flick" is when a movie fails to realize the ability to encapsulate an audience and has to rely purely on good looks to get by, not talent.

So, funny story. I walked into work today and my friend said "I just saw the most BAD ASS RED 280Z on fast and furious!"

I replied, yeah, I know, he's a member on a forum I'm on.

"HOLY ♥♥♥♥ THAT'S AWESOME!"

Both my son and I missed aziza's car :(. I felt like they copied Star Wars in that FF4 was more a prequel to Tokyo Drift... I think it was in the first movie Dom and Letty were somewhere (beach?) and Dom says he pictures them in Mexico someday (reference to FF4), then when Dom is saying goodbye to Han in FF4 he makes the comment 'I hear they're doing some radical stuff in Tokyo these days'.

It is what it is and just entertainment but they still left it open for a FF5 in the end.