HybridZ

dyno videos of Chris, and myself.

big-phil

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I wish I would have made it in time to see those two beasts on the dyno.

Looks great bud, thanks for sharing. Are you happy with the numbers?

I am happy with the numbers. Once I figure out why my power falls at 4500rpm then I'll go back and see what it does again.

Mine made more torque than HP back when I was on the stock EFI. 265whp/300tq at 15psi. I had a horribly restrictive intake filter, and stock turbo injectors and injection. I was also limited to about 5000rpm due to fueling maxing out.

I haven't dyno'd since megasquirt, large injectors, bigger turbo, and better breating filter but I suspect I am in the same area as Phil right now. Albeit, I don't run more than 15psi yet....still tuning, no meth.

OK, My point is that an air flow restriction will bump the torque relative to the HP numbers.

Great videos! Proud to see some nasty turbo Z cars laying down large numbers.

Hmmmmmm interesting, I have a K&N filter that I've had for a year? and never cleaned it. My intake has to come off to get it outta there. Could it be that simple? Also I have a Walbro 255lph fuel pump running 52-56 pounds at 25 lbs of boost. Could that be maxing out?

This is Rich's 300zxTT on the dyno. This is the one I raced in one of my other videos a year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBIhZ4q5j0

olderthanme, Phil's 390 tq vs. my 365 tq?, how about the fact that he was running 7 psi or so more boost than I? I have no doubt there's a whole lot more left in my motor, I gained 75whp and 88wtq, with a 4 psi increase!!! what might my setup have done with 7 psi more boost??? another 100whp and like torque? who knows, and I'm not really interested in finding out, this is my daily driver street car, although I'm sure we could both make more power with some dyno tuning, not just a few pulls with a street tune, but I'm really not looking for any more power, my car will go completely sideways at 75mph on the highway the way it sits, so I am done, until I decide to cut the way too nice body for flares and much bigger tires, I really can't use any more power, except for maybe internet bragging, which I have zero interest in. My Z is a daily driven, pump gas, street car that I wouldn't hesitate to drive across the country if it struck me to, and I am finally satisfied with the power it makes, after a lot of years trying different set ups and tunes... I'll bet you a nickle that Phil will eventually make more power than me, I can see the wheels in his head turning even now... I built Phil's engine and did the intitial tune on his car (although he's been tuning it himself the last several months, they grow up so fast!) and I'll help him build the next one when this one goes BOOM, which I'm sure it will, he has some gene that gives him no mechanical empathy at all!:D

I'm pretty much done with this 240z, but I've got another one that I'm seriously considering dropping an SR20DET into, there was a totally stock 240sx with a totally stock sr, with the tiny factory turbo turned up to 15 psi that made a rock solid consistent 258whp and 256wtq, I rode in it and it pulled hard and made very nice noises, the wheels in my head are doing a little turning too...

olderthanme, Phil's 390 tq vs. my 365 tq?, how about the fact that he was running 7 psi or so more boost than I? I have no doubt there's a whole lot more left in my motor, I gained 75whp and 88wtq, with a 4 psi increase!!! what might my setup have done with 7 psi more boost??? another 100whp and like torque? who knows, and I'm not really interested in finding out, this is my daily driver street car, although I'm sure we could both make more power with some dyno tuning, not just a few pulls with a street tune, but I'm really not looking for any more power, my car will go completely sideways at 75mph on the highway the way it sits, so I am done, until I decide to cut the way too nice body for flares and much bigger tires, I really can't use any more power, except for maybe internet bragging, which I have zero interest in. My Z is a daily driven, pump gas, street car that I wouldn't hesitate to drive across the country if it struck me to, and I am finally satisfied with the power it makes, after a lot of years trying different set ups and tunes... I'll bet you a nickle that Phil will eventually make more power than me, I can see the wheels in his head turning even now... I built Phil's engine and did the intitial tune on his car (although he's been tuning it himself the last several months, they grow up so fast!) and I'll help him build the next one when this one goes BOOM, which I'm sure it will, he has some gene that gives him no mechanical empathy at all!:D

I'm pretty much done with this 240z, but I've got another one that I'm seriously considering dropping an SR20DET into, there was a totally stock 240sx with a totally stock sr, with the tiny factory turbo turned up to 15 psi that made a rock solid consistent 258whp and 256wtq, I rode in it and it pulled hard and made very nice noises, the wheels in my head are doing a little turning too...

Ah very true!

I guess I forgot that little(big) point of 7PSI. LOL

Your 240Z is one of the nicest Z's on this site with a mostly stock looking body.

Hey big phil whats the set up for your meth injection? Is it a simple kit thats just on off, or does it inject more with more boost? Now where does your boost peak at? I was talking to a car buddy of mine and he brought up a point I hadnt thought about. When you run 100% meth (which i think you are?) Its like overly rich- but since since it doesnt look for that, it wont show up on a wide band. So you might have target a/f ratios, and 100% going in, well you see where im going.

Just some food for thought? Let us know how it goes! Btw, any dynographs you can post yet? (Saw the one at the end of the vid- would love a closer look)

My brother with a crx, b16a turbo gained 65 more hp without air filter.

My bother in law picked up something like 60 plus hp with filters installed on a 383 tt, no intercooler, meth injection. The car is a donor.

Only assumption, with steve the air flow was less turbulent with filter,and my brother the filter acted as a restriction, or caused tubulence. Both were KN filters, not the same model.

I'am not an expert just adding information I've run into.

Just to clarify, air and fuel restrictions won't CREATE high torque numbers, they're simply restriction HP numbers, because they're not making a serious affect until you reach high RPM, where HP numbers are created.

You'll never make 400hp at 2,000 rpm unless you've got MASSIVE unheard of cubic inches. (funny car anyone?) but you CAN make 400 torque at 2,000rpm relatively easy.

Big phils numbers showing higher torque than HP shows that he's hitting some form of limitation in the higher RPM register. With big V8 engines that make more torque than HP it's the same reason usually, the difference is that many times in their cases they don't want to rev to 6500 rpm to get their power. They want off the line power, which means sacrificing top end numbers.

I seriously doubt an air filter would make that big of a difference, but who knows. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I'd suspect it having to do with the head setup, and possibly the manifolds as well.

To Phil - You changed your cam right? Might want to double check timing and such. You have a larger throttle body as well, dumb question but how well is the intake manifold matched? I'd suggest finding other dynos of people with the same cam and see what their HP levels were compared to their torque numbers, without porting like your head.

If there's no air restrictions, then start looking at the fuel system. How's your air/fuel ratio on the dyno? If you weren't going lean then you should be fine, but I honestly have ZERO experience with meth, so someone like garrett would be a better judge of your results.

If both show no serious restrictions, you might have to get used to the fact that without porting the head you'll have to live with needing more boost than you're currently running to reach your 400whp mark.

Car sounds great Chris, have not had time to watch Phil's yet. I have a question though, aren't you getting a false number by doing pulls in 3rd gear? I always thought you had to be in 4th or whatever 1 to 1 on your gearbox was to get your hp numbers. If I'm stupid, please help me.

P.S., when are we meeting at Ennis??

Hickl