HybridZ

New lap record at Willow Springs

S30TRBO

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it may look funny, but chris is a hell of a driver. at pir here in phoenix, chris wast in the sub 1:05 range with problems. that is faster than cliftons times people. that is down into the gt3 catagory. the car was at 700 whp last may (08) and is now reported to be above 1000 whp. laugh all you want as it blows by big powerfull cars.

there has got to be a better way to get the downforce and make it look better.

and luck had nothing to do with it.

jimbo

it may look funny, but chris is a hell of a driver. at pir here in phoenix, chris wast in the sub 1:05 range with problems. that is faster than cliftons times people. that is down into the gt3 catagory. the car was at 700 whp last may (08) and is now reported to be above 1000 whp. laugh all you want as it blows by big powerfull cars.

there has got to be a better way to get the downforce and make it look better.

and luck had nothing to do with it.

jimbo

JIM73240Z That is one WAY to get down force. It adds drag but if there is enough horsepower and torque to overcome it then it appears to the be main way to go about getting front downforce.

I'm certainly into function over form, however, I would do it once, just cause, then......

Well then again looking at the faces of others as there times get crushed!

Either way it will give some pause to think, maybe some cool stuff will come from someone willing to pave the way. Just give it time.

Did I miss where they mentioned the previous record? How much faster was this fugly set-up? Unless it was considerable,theres a chance this guy is simply a better driver than the last record holder.If it is a second or more quiker, he may be on to something.Still, I'm leaning towards form over function with this design.

Didn't some of the older Lambos have front mounted spoilers (Countach maybe?). Granted they weren't as big as this, but the idea isn't new.

And there have been a lot of Pikes Peak hillclimb cars that have used wings like this over the years. I would think a good front diffuser would be work as well but may have been tricky to build into the car in question.

Cary

Did I miss where they mentioned the previous record? How much faster was this fugly set-up? Unless it was considerable,theres a chance this guy is simply a better driver than the last record holder.If it is a second or more quiker, he may be on to something.Still, I'm leaning towards form over function with this design.

I did some digging: in 2008 at Willow Springs his time was 1:27.30.

New record: 1:22.623.....4.677 faster.... :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Rado

Unbeknownst to Rado he started a new fad, now every teenager will want one to make them corner better and a place to hang there neon on.

This will be a short lived fad until it blocks their vision and they kill someone. Then they will be banned and only for track use only.

In the Sixties, the great Colin Chapman played around with the 'new' concept of wings and downforce with the Lotus 49.

1967-lotus-49b.jpg

Downforce and the control of airflow over the vehical is key to many forms of motorsport - just look at modern F1 cars

In the Sixties, the great Colin Chapman played around with the 'new' concept of wings and downforce with the Lotus 49.

1967-lotus-49b.jpg

Downforce and the control of airflow over the vehical is key to many forms of motorsport - just look at modern F1 cars

Very true. You have to test it out somehow. Jim Hall had a snow mobile engine running a giant fan under his lemans car I think with side skirts on it and such to suck the car to the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars

• 4 months later...