HybridZ

Seat swap list for s30's

gvincent

Hey everyone,  I just picked up these old school recaros I stumbled upon.  I'm wondering the best way I should mount these?  I want to be able to use the seat adjusters as well.  I saw some mounting hardware on eBay from Crowder customizing, but I'm not sure about them if anyone has used them, please let me know.

post-15914-0-88071800-1460705084_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-83916300-1460705110_thumb.jpg

post-15914-0-13000400-1460705134_thumb.jpg

I installed VW Jetta VR6 seats. PITA but they look and feel great. They sit about 1" higher...I can still fit with my helmet on. I have about 3-4" headroom without the helmet. I'm thinking about modifying the rear seat mount to gain my inch back. I did have to modify the trans-cat hump as mine is a late 260, same body as the 280.

What did you have to do to the hump? I'm going to pick up some bucket seats that have the MK3 Jetta brackets. 

Thank you! 

Few pictures of my 78 with Corbeau FX1 Pro's installed.

I had to section the tunnel on the DS, and clearance with a BFH on the pass side.

IMG_20140511_182611_830_zpssk8hcthp.jpg

I (heavily) modified some 4th gen F body sliders for the drivers seat, to get some adjustability. I played around with it and mounted it with 15* of layback.

IMG_20140512_213058_098_zpsyxg0j58w.jpg

IMG_20140512_213155_982_zpsbby6yyue.jpg

A little cozy, but not terrible.

IMG_20140515_214613_131_zpsi8gnyk11.jpg

Passengers seat outer brackets. I used some pre-cut brackets from speedwaymotors.com and trimmed them to fit. PN 917-20381

IMG_20140515_214627_015_zpstkcvi9sl.jpg

For these, I plated the floor with 1/8" plate, and thru bolted.

For the inners on the pass side I plated the tunnel and used one speedway bracket (rear) and 2 pieces of 1/8" x 2" angle iron (front)

A little tough to see, but I took my e brake handle off, and trimmed the horizontal portion because it would have worn out the seat. I also removed the e brake light switch, but have yet to put the cover back over the tunnel hole.

IMG_20140515_214714_296_zpsyg1ent1r.jpg

Finished installing.

IMG_20140515_214801_791_zpshow1pvkr.jpg

Here is how much room there is from the shoulder bolster to door cards. Doors don't hit them at all!

IMG_20140513_220201_552_zpsbqls14n8.jpg

The seats sit directly over the new frame rails I installed, and are possibly a little to the inboard of the car off center in the "tub". Still very comfortable to reach all controls.

Given the size of the FX1 Pro's that you have, do you think the NRG FRP 310's or 300E's might fit in a 1977 280z? Of course with tunnel bashing and whatnot.

For comparison, the FX1's are 23 inches at the shoulder bolsters, and have a 20 inch base. The 310's are 24 inches at the shoulders and 20 inches at the base. The 300E's are 23.25 inches at the shoulders and 21.5 inches at the base. I ask because you said the fit was cozy, and there wasn't much room between the seat and your door, along with the e-brake being snug. Essentially, was there anything you could have done to squeeze out a little more room?

If anyone else has some insight, feel free to share.

Edited by NagaSadow

Hey everyone,  I just picked up these old school recaros I stumbled upon.  I'm wondering the best way I should mount these?  I want to be able to use the seat adjusters as well.  I saw some mounting hardware on eBay from Crowder customizing, but I'm not sure about them if anyone has used them, please let me know.

make sure you mount the door and door panel before you mount them. I had these in my z when i got it and they touched the door panels. Passenger side had issues closing sometimes because of it. you may have to push them as close to the tunnel as possible.

Those are awesome! You may have to cut out the factory brackets and fab new ones. I would use them.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished 350z power , heated , leather seats.

Really like the seats and yes it's tight.

Managed to get drivers seat low enough to sit in there with a helmet on. I'm 6'2", so pretty happy with that.

Yes they are a bit heavy and yes I would have preferred manual seats , but the price was too good to pass up and the stitching matches my car-lol

post-1083-0-03827700-1463182833_thumb.jpeg

post-1083-0-32515700-1463182878_thumb.jpeg

post-1083-0-53921300-1463182910_thumb.jpeg

Just finished 350z power , heated , leather seats.

Really like the seats and yes it's tight.

Managed to get drivers seat low enough to sit in there with a helmet on. I'm 6'2", so pretty happy with that.

Yes they are a bit heavy and yes I would have preferred manual seats , but the price was too good to pass up and the stitching matches my car-lol

What did you have to do to get the power seats to work?

• 1 month later...

I have a 240Z I'm working on and an 06 350Z. I love the seats on the 350. Very comfortable with good lateral support.

So I found a set of power, heated leather seats from an '05 350Z on ebay for $500.

They fit great after I trimmed the plastic storage trays off of of the door side of each seat. Left the bottom rail from the 240Z seats in place. Welded 2 3/16" transverse bars across the original 240 tracks and welded the 350Z bottom rails to the top of the 3/16" bars.

You lose about 3/4" of height by leaving the lower 240Z rails, but I am six feet tall, and have about 4" of headroom.

All in all, they are really comfortable and easy to install.

I don't have any pictures since they are out of the car right now but RX8 seats fit great! I just made brackets to solid mount them to the existing mount points on my 75 280z chassis. 

They look like this.

rx8s2t_1.jpg

I have Leather Rx8 seats in my 260z. The driverside is powered. I eliminated the stock mounts and made my own. I don't have pics on this computer though.

Edited by Daz

• 11 months later...

I was also able to mount some RX-8 seats to my 280Z.  I made a bracket that I welded to the bottom of the RX-8 seat rails that would allow me to bolt them into the Z's factory seat mounts.  That way I can go back to stock any time I wish.  I only have a picture of the passenger side in right now.  post-44876-0-76201300-1498834452_thumb.jpgpost-44876-0-60844400-1498834470_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pillar

• 5 months later...

Maybe I am doing my fabrication in the wrong order. I have 350Z manual seats and cut off the seat sliders and welded 2" wide flat steel across side to side.  I have them sitting on the stock 280Z rails, but I don't really see how to mark them or spot weld them while they are in the car so I can pull them out and final weld or drill and bolt it all together.  How did you guys mark them up to get them aligned right?  

Revised this a bit. I can see how to mark the fronts. Maybe I just need to mark them and bolt them together and put them back in to make sure they work and then take them back out and do the rears.

Did anyone slot their holes so they could adjust them a bit before final welding?

Edited by mclark999
clarity

On 12/2/2017 at 5:00 PM, mclark999 said:

Maybe I am doing my fabrication in the wrong order. I have 350Z manual seats and cut off the seat sliders and welded 2" wide flat steel across side to side.  I have them sitting on the stock 280Z rails, but I don't really see how to mark them or spot weld them while they are in the car so I can pull them out and final weld or drill and bolt it all together.  How did you guys mark them up to get them aligned right?  

Revised this a bit. I can see how to mark the fronts. Maybe I just need to mark them and bolt them together and put them back in to make sure they work and then take them back out and do the rears.

Did anyone slot their holes so they could adjust them a bit before final welding?

Here's how I did mine in my 240z. I think I just played around with the spacing and set them in as far back as they go on the slides to figure out where they should mount.

Edited by Aero Z