HybridZ

HBZers guess my 3.1 rwhp.

fhptom

Well finally finished the 3.1 stroker bottom end swap on my car and will go to dyno to compare with last engine in car.

Old - F54 block 2.8L .040 over bore flat top pistons, N42 head stock valves with Schneider 490 lift 290 duration cam

S&K 45 mm triple carbs with 6-2-1 header 2.5" exhuast.

184 rwhp 177 ft-lbs torque.

New - F54 block 3.1L, KA 24 pistons shaved to remove lip w/relief cuts, 240 rods. Top end is still the same.

Just did a more aggressive adjustment on the cam with lash pads to get a better wipe pattern.

???? rwhp ???? ft-lbs torque.

Ok all you bench mechanics (and real ones) what are your estimates. Try to get within 5-10.

Winner gets bragging rights.....

Tom

Edited by fhptom

204 HP and 189 Ft-lbs. That's what my butt dyno says. Maybe more if you rev it past 5000 RPM.

When is dyno trip planned? I want to watch to make sure there is no cheating.

Yea when's the trip I'd like to come see. Where are you going to dyno it at?

Well lets say I was not too happy after the dyno runs today.

HP stayed the same and torque was increased by 10. The torque and hp came on sooner and ran higher across the curve than before so that was the only good thing.

Quit making any power above 6K.

Hoping maybe the carbs might need some adjustment to compensate for the increase in displacement. The operator thought the a/f ratio showed a little air deprivation.

On top of that the passenger rear tire blew on the last run. I guess it was better there than on the track.

Tom

Should have went V-8 two engines ago......Throw nostalgia out the window...

Edited by fhptom

Have you played with the timing? you most likely have changed your CR & engine efficiency, timing would need some adjustment if it was not done, you might have some power to recover.

Regarding head design

I've been from a stock N42 head with Schneider cam to a P79 made by Braap with Rebello cam, difference was small until I bumped the timing to where it was supposed to be, difference became huge..

• 1 month later...

Well we port matched the intake to both the head and the carbs, thanks clarkspeed, and installed a O2 bung to get better air/fuel numbers. Now it is time to get some extra jets, chokes and needles and do some real dyno tuning instead of just a base hp run.

I am kind of where your at right now-lot's of work and not happy with the end results. I agree with the above statements that a more precise tune will get better results. I need to get a wideband also, so I am not just guessing about what's going on. I believe I have an engine that wants to breathe, but my SU's are not providing enough air to the engine, but can't prove that without the O2 sensor. Your engine sounds good-don't give up on the L6 yet, it has the way-cool factor going for it!!!