HybridZ

Fiberglass door panels w/speaker holes

rags

I don't know what happened to my latest post but here it is again:

Hey, do any of you guys have any "extra" door panels laying around? I'll pay to have them shipped, in fact more specifically I'm only interested in the metal uppers. Doesnt matter what year or style ie: 240 260 or 280Z

I have a pair of lovely [kidding] butterscotch color 240z panels from a 71. Last pair I shipped was less than $25 but took me about 40 min to 'build' a box for them. These are for sale, $50 + shipping if you're interested.

I don't know what happened to my latest post but here it is again:

Hey, do any of you guys have any "extra" door panels laying around? I'll pay to have them shipped, in fact more specifically I'm only interested in the metal uppers. Doesn't matter what year or style ie: 240 260 or 280Z

Edited by 1 tuff z

I didnt trim the rivets, but thats not it. Its because of the rail for my power windows. there is a stud that sticks out so you can put a nut on it up there where the metal oem piece is. I grinded it down as much as i could, maybe next time i have it off i will try to find a skinny nylon nut for it. That would probably help some.

Okie dokie smokies;

Gots a few pics for a basis update on those door pulls, unfortunately Im not really pleased with the results. If I continue making them out of carbon I'd have to finish each and every piece that I pop out of the mold ... Sure I could tell the end user that they have to get the part finished or cleared but as a consumer myself thats not something that even I would want to do. Fact is it might be easier and cheaper for them to covered with leather, vinyl, bedsheets, baby diapers or whatever your plans are for the finished product... Again, Im not happy with the finish! I was even contemplating remaking the mold so I can get a vacuum bag on em just to see what the end result would be.

Oh ya and I have a set of panels (pics attached) that I forgot to roll all the air bubbles out of, same great panel, same great layup, same strength same great ... you get it. Just alot of air bubbles, I'll let em go for $200 because Im not comfortable with someone opening the box and seeing all the trapped air, just want you to know what your getn before you get it.

Pics!!!!

If these are still available, I take them. Pay by PayPal.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Carbon fiber panels wha!!!

97034160.jpg

Just kidding, it's wrapped. What do u guys think?

DUDE!!!!

That sh** is on FIRE!!!!! I was actually gonna do a set just to show off what they could look like but you did it for me and I must say that it looks absolutely incredible!!!!

Carbon fiber panels wha!!!

97034160.jpg

Just kidding, it's wrapped. What do u guys think?

Absolutely amazing! Did you use real carbon fiber sheets, or that "carbon fiber look" fiberglass stuff?

Also, has anyone ever tried this with their dash? I was thinking it might be nice to do them both like this, especially if you're repairing a cracked dashboard.

Absolutely amazing! Did you use real carbon fiber sheets, or that "carbon fiber look" fiberglass stuff?

Also, has anyone ever tried this with their dash? I was thinking it might be nice to do them both like this, especially if you're repairing a cracked dashboard.

It's vinyl wrapped

So....

After selling a pair of door panels to a local Z owner, I found that he was overjoyed to finally get some decent door panels ... with speaker provisions to boot. I refered him to the forum for support as well as addition parts and how to's and lots of great ideas, but despite the fact that the guy is pretty crafty he lacked the tools and maybe a lil patience to effectively finish the project.

So... I thought I would try to complete a set of panels (an A to Z of sorts) and I gotta say it does take some patience and a lil craftiness. Not to mention a lil extra cash as I was quoted $150 to $200 to cover the panels and $50 to $75 to cover the handles with about two week wait period before they were complete... I think NOT!!!! Then there were hours in the junk yard looking for door cups (although I did come up with some great ideas along the way) see pics. Waiting for window switch plates to come from SPAL etc etc ... Personally I enjoy doing this kinda stuff so its not a big deal for me, other people... not so much.

So... I figured I'd get my fiance in on the act (shes very crafty) and create an out the box and on the door product... see pics

I think a fair price point is $400 and you only have to be mildy crafty as the only thing left to do is plug in the window switch and run the wire.

As far as great junk yard ideas, I found a couple of door/window switch applications. Probelm is the fancy brown one came out of a Daewoo Leganza, I dont think to many of those are gonna be in the junk yard and wiring might be a bit of an issue. The fancy brown window switch came out of a Mazda Milennia, again not to many in the junk yard. The plain black one came out of a chrysler 300, tons of those in the yard but not the most appealing look either. The last black one looks pretty good but I can't remember what type of car it came from but I do remember seeing a couple of them in the yard. The price is all the same at $5 bucks for the plastic pieces and $8 bucks for the switch.

Overall I think the plain black cup looks period correct but still offers lots of flare and pow, the spal window switch while not period correct, is small enough to blend with the same visual pop and modern convenience. Not to mention the fact that its readily available.

So... what do you think?

post-1755-054680600 1328499786_thumb.jpg

post-1755-046222700 1328499844_thumb.jpg

post-1755-072555700 1328499878_thumb.jpg

post-1755-078288500 1328499942_thumb.jpg

post-1755-029231400 1328499987_thumb.jpg

post-1755-023165900 1328500027_thumb.jpg

post-1755-081548100 1328500075_thumb.jpg

post-1755-023036100 1328500117_thumb.jpg

post-1755-024432300 1328500183_thumb.jpg

post-1755-043100000 1328500220_thumb.jpg

post-1755-034886500 1328500359_thumb.jpg