HybridZ

Luker posting about an S30

Guest eparayno

Been lurking this site for a while. I cam across this Z and wondered if anyone has any info on it. The wheels and stance are gorgeous to me.post-23962-037736200 1321220683_thumb.jpg

I put the image into google and this is like the third thing that came up

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/sstp_1011_1973_datsun_240z/index.html

hahahahahah.

"The Z Car is predominantly owned and modified by "old guys" with little or no taste." -from the Super Street article linked above.

The article must've been written by children. A uselessly low car, speckled with primer is what they consider "form at the highest level of importance" ? Please.

The article must've been written by children. A uselessly low car, speckled with primer is what they consider "form at the highest level of importance" ? Please.

There was another z a lot like this one floating around that started a huge argument because form over function is the opposite of what hybridz goes for and people wanted it banned. Believe it or not form is what the guy is going for (albeit misguieded). They purposely make their car look like and perform like absolute siht and think that it somehow makes it cool. Ugly for the sake of being ugly. I have a hard time slapping a "to each his own" on that.

Does the original post actually constitute trolling given the stated goals and philosophy of the site?

(Not to mention the left front fender clearly states -- with an arrow pointing to them -- "I love SSR MK3"

My bet is you google SSR (or Speed Star Racing) MK3 band you can find what you want in regards to the wheels which apparently you love so much.

I got bigger, wider wheels on my car. But that was mainly because the turbo was making a bit more power than stock, and I needed traction. Not because someone told me it looked cool... It was something required for the power produced. Sure, when the turbo was off, I got by on 225's, and they looked totally dorky in the big flares. WTF do I care what someone else thinks about what my car LOOKS like, it's what was needed to work, and that's what went on it.

Function>Form, period.

And the reason it's old guys doing the work is becuase they got the money to do it. You will notice places like LeMans, Bonneville, etc... got a lot of 'fat old white guys' in charge of things. Hmmmm, wonder why that is? Let's change the world and make LeMans a styling contest. Then young kids would have a chance.

My bet is the fat old white guys would simply go someplace else and continue doing what they were doing before without worrying about the approval of someone else...

Edited by Tony D

getoffmyinternet, this is the same car. Yuta's lowered to all hell Z from motormavens. Just with different rims.

And if motor sports were left to the hipsters, cars would fall apart, people would die and the world would be a horrible place.

Edited by BluDestiny

Irony of irony is that my S30 doesn't look a whole lot better, but would never get the attention of that car for the simple fact that I don't have obscenely stretched tire on wide rims with absurd camber and no ground clearance.

I think Yuta still has a dash, I win. biggrin.gif

I thought that might be the same car. Wasn't sure though, it looked a lot different. Old pic? That makes me feel slightly better knowing that there's one less of them out there than I previously thought. <_<

Irony of irony is that my S30 doesn't look a whole lot better, but would never get the attention of that car for the simple fact that I don't have obscenely stretched tire on wide rims with absurd camber and no ground clearance.

I think in this case it's the thought that counts. ;)

Does the original post actually constitute trolling given the stated goals and philosophy of the site?

(Not to mention the left front fender clearly states -- with an arrow pointing to them -- "I love SSR MK3"

My bet is you google SSR (or Speed Star Racing) MK3 band you can find what you want in regards to the wheels which apparently you love so much.

I got bigger, wider wheels on my car. But that was mainly because the turbo was making a bit more power than stock, and I needed traction. Not because someone told me it looked cool... It was something required for the power produced. Sure, when the turbo was off, I got by on 225's, and they looked totally dorky in the big flares. WTF do I care what someone else thinks about what my car LOOKS like, it's what was needed to work, and that's what went on it.

Function>Form, period.

And the reason it's old guys doing the work is becuase they got the money to do it. You will notice places like LeMans, Bonneville, etc... got a lot of 'fat old white guys' in charge of things. Hmmmm, wonder why that is? Let's change the world and make LeMans a styling contest. Then young kids would have a chance.

My bet is the fat old white guys would simply go someplace else and continue doing what they were doing before without worrying about the approval of someone else...

I wish it were trolling, but I think it's just the latter of that meme... :unsure: I don't think he's even going for the wide tires idea because those things are stretched like crazy. Ricer and gangster apparently agree on one thing.

It's almost hilarious the way they talked about 'old guys' (not sure why it's in quote either, I think they're being literal). The statement would almost make sense if the picture of a car in the exact opposite condition. I felt like replying, "Are you guys looking at the same pictures we are??" In their minds, it's the old guys that don't have the taste, and this guy is the one that is building a cherry show car. Yeah the stereotype is totally that someone who wants to restore a car to its original form has no taste... Restored? Ewe!

I thought that the stereotype was that old guys didn't fix up their cars and drove them into the ground until they looked like this. But apparently careless neglect and undying precision ultimately yield the same result...

"I can only pray that this kind of modification will continue to become more popular."

:blink:

That "zombie" Z has prescence, there's no denying that, but what bugs me is the overall lack of respect shown for the car and for anyone who doesn't think it's great (only because it's soooo low).

I like low cars, I like really low cars but I'm sorry, the attention to detail on that thing is lacking. I doubt the owner cares, but this strange defiance "younger" guys have is weird, straight up. I'm a younger Z owner myself, but I can't get down with the attitude towards any style that isn't yours.

It's great to see people loving their cars though and it seems to me the world has enough arguing on more "important" matters haha...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been around this subject so many times. Personally I don't care what a person does with their own car as long as they don't drive it in a manner that endangers someone (like me!). The old saying is that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I've seen enough art to verify that statement. Our cars are an extension of our personalities and I think we all work to create something that we are proud of.

I made a lot of "compromises" with my car as it was being built because it was my daily driver and I couldn't afford to have it down for any length of time. I also had to ensure that any suspension decisions I made kept the car suitable for driving to work which meant handling curbs, speed bumps, and RR tracks and enough travel to not bruise my but on the way to work and home.

If my car was strictly a toy to take to the track or a car show it would look much different. If I had a goal of getting sponsors for all the stuff I did to the car - it would look much different. Would I like to do my car over - you bet! Will I? - probably not.

I'm not knocking the OP's taste in the wheels, to each his own. But the idea that that car could be a featured car in a magazine shoot puzzles me to no end. It looks to me to be one of those pictures from a progress journal, you know, "this is how it looked when I bought it", "this is the car fully stripped, before paint and bodywork", "this is the finish product". I can easily match that car right now with one of my own but I'm almost embarrassed to drive it, much less photograph it.

As for the lowering, if it's just a styling thing, then fine. But it's too low to be functional, even on most racetracks. And it's obviously not designed (well) for tracks, or whoever put those tires on those rims needs institutionalized.

It does have an aggressive look to it, but that means nothing when it isn't practical to drive on anything other than a perfectly flat road. Wow and all this time I had been going about it the wrong way by buying performance enhancing engine, brake, suspension parts. Now I realize that I must sell all of it, bust out my da grinder then dip my car in the pacific ocean and leave it to get just right. I will slam the dolly, extend the wheels with new barrels, shave the rubber on the sides, and install a cushman golfcart engine and use old school 70's gocart brakes that lock up the wheels. I guess I have been one of those "old guys with little or no taste", but I want soooooooo desperately to be onto the newest of new in trends, so that when I'm sitting in the local supermarket parking lot, everyone will be in awe. Here she is, almost ready for my photo shoot.

On second thought, I think I'll just stick to my old guy ways and build a super fun, well handling beast instead.

post-736-068233200 1325187314_thumb.jpg

I'll admit something, my black turbo car would have issue going up that driveway as well.

But it's not low for sake of being low, it has more to do about preventing air from getting under the front end at 160+...

And that was in 1985...