HybridZ

To GTR or not...

thehelix112

Guys,

Was chatting to my wife about the GTR the other day (chatting: annoying, pestering, blubbering - you get the idea) and she said that we could probably swing it if we sold my current daily driver (a minivan), and I sold up shop on the 280z to get a down-payment. Owning a car like the GTR is not something I ever thought I would be able to do, so it being more-or-less within reach (ramen noodles for a few years, but hey, small price to pay) is very seductive.

However, I like working on the zed. I like my snails paced progress, and knowing that at the end of the day it will be something I can be proud of. That being said, it won't be much of a daily driver, it won't be worth diddley squat to anyone else, and it may not even be any quicker around a track. That makes me question if I'm just being pig-headed and foolish about it. On the other hand again, I don't know how to weld, I've started 2 engine conversions and never finished them. I don't like this situation, and I will feel like a failure if I don't remedy them. Additionally I just bought a new lincoln tig to learn to weld and haven't finished wiring up the house for it yet. I don't have a lot of time to work on the zed, so things move very slowly, but they do move eventually.

Would love peoples' input and thoughts.

Thanks,

Dave

How about a used GTR or some other fast (used?) car that isn't as expensive (WRX, EVO, Vette etc) or, if this is a track thing, a used race car that is faster than a GTR? You can buy a used Stohr D Sports Racer, a used trailer and a used truck to pull it with for less than the cost of a new GTR, and it will be WAAAY faster around a track.

I appreciate that the GTR is a truly bad ass car, but I really don't like the idea of being car-poor.

Jon,

Yeah I don't think I could bring myself to piss away 10K just to say I had a `new' car. Any GTR would be used, and it's still a bit of a stretch. The appeal though is that it would be a daily driver I would enjoy, and still let me have fun at the track (more than enough car for me to learn). But I think you and BluDestiny both make pretty compelling points: I'll be poor, won't be able to tinker with it at all, and that won't be any fun.

Damn it's tempting though. Bad-arse cars indeed. But I think I'll keep plodding along with the zed, until I can have the GTR _and_ the zed. :D

Thanks guys,

Dave

They are pretty expensive maintenance wise too, I believe.

I was just about to suggest looking up the running costs for these things. If it will be hard to spend the money to buy one, then you do not want to know what it costs to own one.

Keep the Z, and get something fun and reliable if you want to have a sporty DD. No doubt, the GTR is cool and a lot of car, but you can have something that costs magnitudes less and is just as fun (if not moreso), IMHO.

My opinion, FWIW...

If you have to change your lifestyle to buy something, then you can't afford it. As Leon addressed you should look at the total life cycle cost, not just the sticker price. I've heard some crazy numbers just for brake work. Don't forget to consider what comprehensive insurance coverage will cost for you.

Edited by rossman

At 50 years of age I have contemplated a turbo 911. I make good money, but probably a stretch to afford the car and the maintenance(just tires alone are scary!) I really want to own a "super car" before I pass this world, but do I want to be car poor.

Then yesterday i finally get my car back on the road after months being on jacks. I go for a small 20 minute ride and get two thumbs up from different folks and a guy in a van ahead of me stops his van at a 4 way stop sign, puts on his 4 way flashers and jumps out of the van with I phone and shouts---"hey can i take a picture of your car". Traffic backing up everywhere!!

It may not run like a GTR, but the cool factor is there and so is the driving fun.

I do understand where you're at though.

Dave you sell out! :D

I'd say go for the GTR if it fits your budget and lifestyle. I got a chance to play with one at willow and is an amazing car right out of the box. I guess you have a lot of things to factor in to make your decision, but ultimately it comes down to what experiences you want.

I've never owned a super car so I can only imagine what that would be like, but I do know that building and driving an S30 has it's challenges and rewards. Even if I dumped 4 times the amount of money the car's worth and still slower than a modern sports car the experiences will be with me forever.

Back in Michigan I made a nice business out of flipping Porsches from guys who managed to buy them and run them to a major maintenance interval and then got sticker shock and decided to sell the car...

I learned a lot back then (hell, I wasn't even 20!) about people selling the farm to own a prestige automobile. It was hard to believe at some times I had as many as five Porsches floating for people trying to sell them after I wrenched the maintenance for a pittance and picked it up on the back end of the sale.

No CAR is worth mortgaging your lifestyle. Ramen? It's not college---eat Ramen to get through school and get prep and foundation for a prosperous later life (statistically speaking, I guess) But eat Ramen for a CAR? It will only depreciate. You on the other hand get better with age! Put the money in you. Never a car! Incremental spending is how I rationalize car costs. New car? Only bought one. Cash. It was over, and I swear that is the only way I'll ever do it again.

I have the chance to own a p car in a few years when the previous owner of my z gives me a call and sells his 911 turbo off. It is a 86 turbo, that is built crazy fast. I don't think I will ever own a new vehicle myself again. Even when I buy for my company. I bought a new car just before I graduated college, stupid mistake. I should have used the money to go down on a house. It is all good though. I do like the MKV supras. 2 door killer with just enough room for 2 car seats in the back for my girls.....

Kinda in the same boat after selling my heavily modified 911 Turbo and missing it withing WEEKS...

Some issues I coped with that you might want to consider...

On the 911 Turbo, When you do something to "fix" an issue, you tend to "upgrade". A simple $1800-2200 fixm, to most people with the 996TT. In my case of the transmission with a bad 2nd gear syncro, it ended up with a full PMNA race trans build that ended up being $11300 for the internals, a guards transmission, a new Clutchmasters clutch setup, all the GT3 components for the clutch hydraulics, shifter/cables... Got a little out of hand...

Then there's the consumables... Those large brembo rotors are cool, until you have to buy new pads to the tune of $300 per AXLE.

Attention is a double edged knife. Idiots are attracted to nice cars as well as cool people. Some of those idiots will want to harm your car...

Replacement fenders/doors/bumpers can really hamper the cost of insurance and if you track it, Like I did, you'll be thinking about those replacements every time the car wants to step out on you in a corner... or on an off ramp or back road, or when that deer just happens to hop out in front of you...

Windshield replacements... make sure the cost doesn't exceed your insurance companies coverage...

I've actually looked at the GTR lately and I'd get a 2010 or newer if I were serious about it... I'm also looking at Newer Porsches and older Ferrari, as well as the newer C6Z06/Grandsports... Lots of nice rides out there for the money. Don't get in too deep and don't buy anything that is in a hard to unload color/options. I always approach anything I buy with the intention of selling it one day... so keep that in the back of your head, whatever you do.

Happy shopping!

Edited by Mikelly