HybridZ

13 hours ago, Ironhead said:

My first response to the fuel cell next to the driver's seat is horror, but why not I guess?  Really no more dangerous than having it in the hatch area.  Maybe safer, in terms of less likely to take a major hit.

But don't the rules require a metal partition around it, and either braided steel lines or hard lines?

They do.  But I've seen this interpreted different from time to time.  My car has a separate metal box over the cell and the lines where they are in the cabin. I got busted at a hillclimb (GCR rules) that I didn't have metal over my fuel lines (braided hose didn't count) so I did what any normal person would in the middle of nowhere.  I built a cover using aluminum foil and riveted it to the floor here and there.  Technically it was a metal cover.  Rules were changed after that to be more specific.

• Like 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have a single critical comment. The car is great!

I'm more excited to see people come out and have a good time! As my project shows, these cars are always evolving, so you gotta take time and smell the race gas.

Just cooked the pads and got some serious heat into the system. No brake cooling to speak of, which with wheels this small and wide is a real problem. The pedal felt alright, but the brake feel just d

Posted Images

21 hours ago, calZ said:

I've long been planning on and working towards having traction control in my car. I've been doing some reading about the MK60 units. It's handy that it outputs the wheel speed and yaw data as raw values that ECUs can read as regular inputs. It avoids having to make the can systems communicate. The only downside is that the ABS unit requires the sensor ring on each wheel to have the same number of teeth. I haven't pulled my R200SN off the shelf to count, but I'm guessing it doesn't have the same number of teeth as the Subaru tone rings I have for the front. 

The MK60 does require the same tone rings on all 4 corners, but it's not super concerned what that number is or not. The 3dm Motorsport guys said really anything between 40-50 teeth ought to work. I'm using Q45 tone rings on the rear stub axles and they do match up with the 350z front hubs I'm using. Oh yeah, this is the front hub now!

_DSC1654.JPG.92f9439c7a73e52264c510c381d1c726.JPG

15 hours ago, Ironhead said:

My first response to the fuel cell next to the driver's seat is horror, but why not I guess?  Really no more dangerous than having it in the hatch area.  Maybe safer, in terms of less likely to take a major hit.

But don't the rules require a metal partition around it, and either braided steel lines or hard lines?

Or am I all messed up and that's not a fuel cell?

Yes, almost all rule sets require a full bulkhead separating any aftermarket fuel modifications from the driver. This is just an in progress pic, and since I posted it, a bulkhead has been installed! I think it's arguably safer since it's fully inside the car's roll cage (and about 2" off the floor). It's also a fully SFI/FIA rated fuel cell. It's also much better for the weight distribution, which is why I've done it! 

23 minutes ago, Ben280 said:

The MK60 does require the same tone rings on all 4 corners, but it's not super concerned what that number is or not. The 3dm Motorsport guys said really anything between 40-50 teeth ought to work. I'm using Q45 tone rings on the rear stub axles and they do match up with the 350z front hubs I'm using. Oh yeah, this is the front hub now!

I suppose an alternative would be to just have the ECU(will be a Haltech in my case) output the wheel speed data to the MK60. I believe I could setup an output that scales one set of the VSS pulses to match the number of teeth on the other set. The MK60 wouldn't know the difference. 

12 hours ago, calZ said:

I suppose an alternative would be to just have the ECU(will be a Haltech in my case) output the wheel speed data to the MK60. I believe I could setup an output that scales one set of the VSS pulses to match the number of teeth on the other set. The MK60 wouldn't know the difference. 

I'd be interested to see if there's a good way to interpolate that data and make it work. I don't think the MK60 would care at a theoretical level, but trying to bump a 35 tooth count up to a 46 tooth for example seems tricky at best, particularly with real time data.