HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No real Z stories to report, but episodes of driving rental cars on Autobahns in Germany:

180 km/h (about 110 mph) in an Opel Meriva (hey, this is a micro-minivan with around 105 hp!) This was at max throttle in top gear for about an uninterrupted 20-minute stretch between Bremen and Hannover.

205 km/h (about 125 mph) in a diesel Golf, on the famous high-speed stretch between Frankfurt and Darmstadt. That was also absolute max throttle, but only for about 5 minutes.

220 km/h (about 135 mph) in an Opel Vectra GTS, between Kassel and Frankfurt. Again full throttle, but only for about a minute - the car probably had another 10-20 km/h if I were truly fearless. But my excuse is that lanes are fairly narrow, traffic is heavy and it’s rather difficult to maintain these speeds consistently, even if it’s perfectly legal and one has no cause to fear the police.

In the Z (1978 280) the speedometer is about 15% optimistic. Indicated 70 mph is closer to 60 mph.

Speedo showed 130 mph in my 240. At that point, the driver's side windshield wiper popped up and scared the hell out of me! At that time the Z had a worked over NA L26 and 5 speed.

I now have a very nice SBC + WC T5 and 3.15:1 R200 in the same car. Results from various speed versus rpm calculators give some very interesting results. I just got the Z back on the road after 17 years so I am still working out some bugs and haven't had a chance to probe the top end. The engine turns 1800 RPMs at about 70 mph in fifth!

In my first Z, a raggedy '73, fiberglass front end, lots of rust throughout, but had a peformance cam, head work, etc. I drove it up to 135 mph, at least that is what the speedo read.

Thinking about this circa 1989, senior year high school, where has the time gone? LOL!

7500 rpm in 5th gear in my 240SX, racing a built Z32 TT on the highway (he lost...badly, 4 times in a row). No clue how fast it was...Too fast! It was very stable though, as it has all the supporting equipment to fly. 522 rwhp, 255-40-18's, 4.36 gears.

140 on the front straight of Hallett Raceway in OK according to the Z06 Vette driver behind me. (How in the heck did he have time to look at a speedometer with a 60 MPH corner coming up fast?) 260Z 350 Roller Cam SBC Approx 435 at the crank, 245:45:16 Yokohama A032R's 3:54 Final Drive. 4 speed Richmond Super T10. 6500 RPM.

So far the top speed that I have seen is 145 on the back straight of VIR. Was it really doing that you got me! I do know that my speedo is off by about 10% so I guess I was really doing something like 130-135 or so!

77 280Z

82 turbo motor

T3/T04 turbo pushing 15 psi

MS-1 running extra code

3.90 rear gear

82 tranny

225/50 15 BFG G-Force Sports

I was doing right at 6000 rpms in 5th.

Another time on the same track I saw 140 before I blew a head gasket going into turn 14, not fun to run down hill and through hogpen without any power!

VIR11-12Feb07.jpg

Now if I can just get rid of the turkey!

Having fun at VIR and someday soon Sebring I hope!!

I went an indicated 142mph in a mildly built 1978 280Z going down hill with the pedal matted for what seemed like an eternity. It was on a stretch of I-5 between Marysville and Mt Vernon WA.

Eventually I did this to the car... This was all back in my "not so smart" days... :oops:

1stzwreck_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...