HybridZ

To flare or not to flare....flip flopping

Tim240z

I am beginning to lean more and more to building another car and unloading this body.......Like many of you guys' date=' I love the sleekness of a stock bodied Z car, it is what has attracted us all to this madness, but there is something very macho about those huge IMSA type/size flairs.....maybe I'm just compensating.....I'll have to ask the wife..... :redface:[/quote']

You need to decide what you like better. I agree that if you decide you want the big flares, you shouldn't do it on the body you have now.

Too bad you didn't figure this out sooner...you could probably have gotten a better deal when your car was still complete

:twak:...but then again I'm really enjoying my drivetrain:D .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not change anything on the chassis that you have now, but I would think about getting another chassis and puting some flairs on it. but maby it would be fun to try to do some steel work. the flairs I am building for my car are made from stock datsun fenders. so they reatain all the lines, but I can fit 325's under them.

Tim: Now you know how I felt when I was doing the work on the MuscleZ. The width of my two back flairs measure out to 76.5 inches overall. But, I don't think you'll be running 15x15 Convo Pros on 29.0x18.5x15 Mickey T's either. I've noticed the rage lately for extremely wide flairs. Unless your going to make your own, the widest are like Dan's YZ's. And even his are a good 4.5" narrower than mine. You've seen the MuscleZ in its early stages, and the rear flairs as do the front really make a statement. The Mongooses' body is extremely straight. Doing a double set of flairs will certainly set it off, however, the more understated theme like Han's is the compliment. Body stock with those sweet wide meats tucked in neatly under the cars rear. The only give away is the stance of the vehicle. That way you can keep the integrity of the stock look while compromising the hell out of the drive train. Something else to consider...in the unlikely event that something should happend to the body, your not stuck trying to remake the fenders again. For that reason I am debating whether to pull some glass flair copies off of the MuscleZ before I completely finish my body mods. I know Terry is hot to see my fenders. He and I have had many a conversation regarding them over the course of their construction. Pierre has also asked if I was going to make molds and produce copies. He is interested in selling them as well. But, I'm not ready to start a production process yet. Remember, I built the MuscleZ with the understanding that it was mainly for show. I needed to make a statement and extreme flairs, 18.5" wide tires and deep punched rims achieve exactly that. My advice is to start off by backhalving the car, get the tires/rims you want to run, measure out your tire placement, then ask yourself the question regarding flairs. Either way it's a win win situation. Just the flairs will take a good deal of work to accomplish correctly. Let me know if there is anything I can do and good luck with your new adventure.

VAN

It would be a shame to build all that HP into the engine' date=' only to put an effective governer on it by installing a weak rear end, no?

[/quote']

You're not going to be able to use "all that HP" with out building the chassis to near race car specs anyway. So back to the original question, what do you want to do with the car? If you aren't going to bring the chassis up to the level of the engine, then maybe you need to build the engine to match the chassis? Or just be happy you have a gorgeous street machine with more engine than you can ever use.

Guest JAMIE T

I wanted big tires also. But, I love the stock lines. Alas, the ZG flare retains all the stock lines but gives room for more tires. Flared, but still stockish. Works for me! Seems like you got a boner for some IMSA flares. Just do it. You know you want to. Cut the car you have. Do it, Do it.(my Ben Steller Starsky impersonation.)

Guest ON3GO

FLARE!

dont sell the goose.. if you do i will do something to you lol.

make your masterpeice something better now, let it grow!

mike

I'd say sell it and buy another shell to work with. You've already got so much work in that body you can at least recoop some costs (not much, but some) then buy another tub and flare that one. No way to flare the car without having to redo all the body work on the Goose, so might as well start from scratch and leave the pretty paint job looking pretty.

Get an english wheel... And build it perfect yourself... It will only add about a month to the build...

I love the look of a flared Z. And that is the direction of my next build.

Maybe i should put a mercedes v8 in my next Z....

Joe.

No, I'm here. Been out of touch the last couple of days (project location for work). U guys just aren't helping at all! :twak::-D

I am leaning towards the non-flaired, minitub version....

Knowing how I operate, if I start doing bodywork, the projet will snowball like it did initially and I will never have it done.

Tim, Of course this is just my opinion but, I don't think you'll be happy unless you wind up with the badest looking, widest flared, radical monster Z. Come on, your putting in a TT stroked SBC as the heart beat!!! And if I know you, the TT SBC will likely dyno out at roughly 1000 HP! We all love it when people admire our Zs, so go for the gusto. Didn't Jay Leno stuff a 1000 HP TT SBC in his Torando? Step up to the plate and hit a home run.....you certainly don't want to just bunt the ball do you? Am I getting your fabrication juices following yet? Get-r-done!

I am leaning towards the non-flaired, minitub version....

Tim,

I have re-evaluated my earlier suggestion to go with the mini-tub version because that's the look I prefer. However, that does not reflect your true personality. You are more the FLAMBOYANT type ( As seen on TV ) and thus a wild a$$ flare suits you much better.:) LOL:)

Hanns

Laugh at this if you must,but...............I am of the mind that your HP goals will "MAKE" the decision for you. It will

go something like this......slight inward tubbing AND outward flares!

Come on fellas lets be real.....1000HP will NEVER hook up with anything less than the biggest DOT slick you can get.

ANd Tim you gotta feel it too ! Full sub-rails all the way to the rear cross members etc. There are alot of sub 1000hp cars pulling the front wheels up for 40+ feet......so you know this cars goals are serious.

"GO WITH BOTH" !!!!!!!!!

....and take me for a ride (straight up )

Vinny 8)