HybridZ

My thoughts on Tire Rack Online

JaysZ

I couldn't be more impressed. On my daily beater, I need new tires. I jump on Tire Rack and find a great deal on tires, lower than anyone else. Click, order. 20 mins. later and my phone rings, not the one I gave them, but the one listed with my credit card. They confirm the order, approve it and done. It arrives TOMORROW!. Best of all, its tax free since its coming from a different state and its the cheapest form of shipping they use, UPS Ground, which ironically arrives in 1 day rather than the standard 3 to 5. I'm sold on Tire Rack for my future purchases lol. Too bad these tires are coming faster than my wheels are!

i use them all the time, and i have nothing but good things to say about them.

i used them on all my tire buys except the Drag Radials i bought not to long ago.. local place here gave me a killer deal.

mike

So anyone know how much it costs to get tires put on a set of rims (for those of us that don't have the equipment to do so)?

I've never done my own tire change so I don't know exactly what is involved with the process.

its around $8 a wheel here to get the tire mounted and balanced

It cost me about 15 dollars per wheel at les schwab, and they broke my center cap...and said it was broken before... i don't even know why they needed to take it off...

The center cap must come off so the rim can me mounted in many of the machines.

Last time I had mine done it was about $15 per wheel at any place I trusted to do it.

I also like tire rack for there prices and shippping. However, most of the tire places around here will not mount tires unless you bought them there. I need to find some one local that will do it for a reasonable cost. Last time I used tire rack, I found a place here to do it but they charged me $20 per tire. OUCH

I got a set of BFG Bias Ply "e" rated truck tires in 275/275/16s for my last Chevy truck and they were about $410 shipped. The closest any local shop would get was for a lighter load rating (Important when towing a car trailer) and about $200 more. Of course, I paid about $80 to get them mounted and balanced, but hey it was worth the savings...

I also pick up hoosiers from them when they do the "end of model" clearance on their road race tires periodically. :2thumbs:

Mike

Mark, try clicking on the "installation" button and you'll get a page that lets you enter your zip and gives you tirerack's "certified installers" in your area. You can get the tires shipped to them if you wish, and since they're in tireracks program they are more friendly towards mounting the tires.

Now, here in the Megametroplis of Ellenboro, the two guys who run the only tire shop are old friends, and will mount up anything I carry in there for free, provided of course I scrape their driveway ocassionally......

jt

I havent seen anyone metion of Discounttiredirect.com I have had great service with them, prices are just as good if not better usually then Tirerack, not to mention they will offer you "theyre warranty as well" at usually at least on the tires I got of 7 more per tire.

No matter what happens during the life of the tire, free replacement, no questions asked.

Service and speed of delivery has always been fast with them as well.

I havent seen anyone metion of Discounttiredirect.com I have had great service with them' date=' prices are just as good if not better usually then Tirerack, not to mention they will offer you "theyre warranty as well" at usually at least on the tires I got of 7 more per tire.

No matter what happens during the life of the tire, free replacement, no questions asked.

Service and speed of delivery has always been fast with them as well.[/quote']

Bad experiance with "Discount Tire Co." brick and mortar, I bought some tires and they would not take a balance They tried to tell me that my car was the trouble and I needed an alignment, but I just had an alignment and an alignment has nothing to do with a tire out of balance. Then I had another shop balance them and they noticed two of the dang tires were out-of-round. then I returned the things after about 3 bitch fests at their stores and I finally got a good manager. Turns out Discount tire co sometimes buys "slightly out of spec" tires and that's why they can offer the lower price. Total BS though, and they scratched one of my "10 day old" rims and said it was like that and then lost one of my locking nuts, come on.

Similarly bad Discount Tire Co story here. A friend of mine went in with a bent tie rod on his 240Z and the jackasses told him he needed a new steering rack. The problem was the idiot mechanic didn't realize one side is reverse threads and stripped the **** out of the locknut for the tie rod on that side. Luckily my friend called me from the shop and I talked to the service manager before they sold him the new rack. He was ready to buy it, and it was totally unneccessary. After I realized what morons they were I told him to take the car home and walked him through fixing it in his driveway. Took a torch and a big pair of vice grips to get the thing off after that retard worked on it. Of course that's just one idiot mechanic and one idiot service manager, can't say they're all bad on account of that one experience.

I should also say that their internet sales are fine IME, and I've never had trouble with any tires I've bought from them which is probably 2 or 3 sets now.

From 1998 through 2004 I was buying so many tires from Tire Rack (basically 4 tires every 3 to 4 weeks) that they offered me a discount off their list prices. I even had a tire store offer to buy tires through me because the prices I was paying were less then what the tire store payed through their distributor.

Sadly, my discount was discontinued because I only bought one set of tires in all of 2005.

Mounting your own tires is really not that hard. I have done several sets then just put them on the car and drove it and got them ballanced at my local GY store.

If you lube the tire up and do it from the back with a big screwdriver (carefull!) and your a33 you can save some buck's.

Mark' date=' try clicking on the "installation" button and you'll get a page that lets you enter your zip and gives you tirerack's "certified installers" in your area. You can get the tires shipped to them if you wish, and since they're in tireracks program they are more friendly towards mounting the tires.

Now, here in the Megametroplis of Ellenboro, the two guys who run the only tire shop are old friends, and will mount up anything I carry in there for free, provided of course I scrape their driveway ocassionally......

jt[/quote']

I'll try that next time. Thanks

I've bought from Discount Tires Aka Tires.com for the kids imports and had good luck with odd ball sizes like 205-50-15s... Never had an issue. Even bought two sets of import wheels for hondas from them without issues.

They don't seem to carry larger selections of wider tires though...

Mike