HybridZ

Guys...should I buy this thing..sitting for 10years!..Pics

slownrusty

Gang - A few weeks back that I came across a Genuine Euro 1985 928S, that had been sitting for 10years!!! For those not familiar it is a genuine 310hp car / 295ft.lbs and has a 4.7L 16Valve V8, 0-60mp/h in 6.3secs.

Well I went to photograph it yesterday, please tell me what you guys think based on my pics.

I am going to test drive it today and will let you know how it runs, supposedly it is very powerful BUT has an initial hesitation when you first step on the gas pedal, almost like something is holding it back and as you increse the throttle position then it suddenly goes - so has an EFI issue to resolve. Has not been started since the summer of 2004 but does have relatively fresh gas in it )old gas draiend).

Has an ULTRA rare 5speed, as most of these cars came with 4speed autos as they were GT cars.

My observations...:

1) Why two wings on the rear hatch?

2) Interesting and ULTRA rare white leather, even white leather inserts on the door

3) No rust...couple of small dents...

4) Mileage much lower than I thought..67,909miles..engine bay reasonably clean and seems like alot of space to work

5) Dash is lifting and cracked

6) Two leaks under engine, looks like the P/S pump and could not identify the other....

7) When I had inflated the tires they all cracked...so it needs new tires at a minimum!

8) Alot of little interior trim pieces have fallen off.

9) No cats on the car.

10) Front black chin spoiler completely broken off car, but the ends remain, probably happended while towing it at some point.

Needs a GOOD scrubbing for sure...and truck fulls of TLC!!

Looks like I can pick up this car for "around" $5,500. Not sure what to do? If I do pick-up this car, that makes another to the growing fleet of high maintenance cars I already own - yikes!

Well here are the pics - please tell me what you think gang:

123632314.jpg

123632222.jpg

123632200.jpg

123632309.jpg

123632276.jpg

123632247.jpg

123632298.jpg

123632283.jpg

Regards - Yasin

I've worked on quite a few of these cars, but it was nearly 10 years ago. What I remember is that the US spec 928 came out with 180hp, and it wasn't until the DOHC S4 that they really got any balls at all in the US spec cars. I can't remember ever seeing a 4 speed. They were all dog leg 5 speeds with first down and to the left. You may be right about the Euro spec version, but it just doesn't jive with what I remember about the ones I worked on. It has been ~10 years though, and I think the only Porsche that we saw less of was the 914. We even worked on more 356's than 928s.

Maintenance wasn't too bad as I recall and I seem to think that I liked doing timing belts on those better than 944s, but the electrical system was a friggin nightmare, and almost every one we worked on had electrical issues of some sort or another.

It's a big heavy touring car, and it drives like one. They don't feel peppy, but you could cruise at 150 mph for hours and not be stressed about it. There was one guy at the time who had developed his own rear suspension and was very successfully racing a 928 in POC events. I think his was supercharged too. It was pretty shocking seeing pictures of his car in the middle of a group of 944 Turbos and 911 Turbos. It just didn't look like it was meant to be there. Anyway, that's what I remember about them.

i have one at the shop thats a project car.

its a 928S with a auto as most are auto's.

just to find one in a 5 speed is worth getting!

front spoilers they make still so no biggy.

euro versions had the dual rear wings.

red is rare too!

electrical nightmares are true, parts are alot of money for them and you never see any of them running for some reason.

but they are awesome cars and if you need some parts let me know..

buy it!

still have ur 911 too?

mike

I had an 85 928 for about 6 months. I enjoyed driving the car as it was a real pleasure to drive. What I didn't enjoy was the constant battle with electricals and the price for parts. I traded my daily driver 73 240z for it 2 years ago with a friend of mine. The car had sat for a few years, but all and all, it was a nice car (light blue exterior and dark blue interior) I had to put in a new battery, fuel pump ($250 was the cheapest I could find), injector hose kit from Porsche, along with other various. I had to bypass the automatic anti-theft system (the car would shut the fuel pump off when parked and would not restart). Wait until you see the fuse board under the passenger's side floor board!! There must be 60+ metal/plastic fuses which corrode easily and are a major cause of the electrical gremlins. Finally I needed to do a water pump/timing belt job on the car and parts alone were $400+!! I had already spent too much time and money in upkeep and I punted. I put the car up on Ebay and sold it for a fraction of what I had in it.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the car when I had it running, but the cons outweighed the pros in my case. Would I own another one? Yes, but would not try to rely on it as my primary transportation. Will I own another one? Probably someday ...

On a side note, the guy with whom I traded my 73 to, still had the car until 2 weeks ago ... when I bought it back!!

Sounds like a good swap candidate! :-)

Seriously - with a good body, interior and suspension, but a drivetrain of questionable reliability, high complexity and a lot of weight, it makes sense to consider cars of this category as swap candidates. Chances are good that a 350-based SBC (or LS1, if you prefer) would fit - and would actually weigh less than the original engine.

Never own one but always wanted.I guess you should be asking yourself first why do i need it? If you want to swap to V8 these guys will help you: http://www.renegadehybrids.com if you want to keep original engine and get more performance out of it ,then these guys will help you:http://www.devek.net .

Here is few advises which i found out in Excellence magazine: the clutch used in early 928s ( until 1987) was a multiple-disc unit and was prone to clutch chatter if abused at all.Because the 928is highly complex it can be expencive to repair.As such, it's important to buy a good example with good maintanance records.Before buying 928,have someone who really understands this particular Porsche model give it a through examination.You don't want to buy a bad one! Also was recommended that you have the bodywork checked by a reputable body shop that specializes in Porsche repair and reconstraction.Check the steering rack and ends at the bellows.If they are leaking, the rack will require replacement or repair.Make sure that the engine coolant has been changed every two or three years, as it must have an active anti-corrosion agent to prevent corrosion of the alloy block and head.Corrosion can ruin one of these engines by eroding the sealing surface between the block and cylinder head.Another problem that some 928s will have is noisy torque tube bearings.Be critical of drivetrain noices in any potential purchase.The cam-drive belts are crucial maintenance items in the later four valve cars as well as the two Euro cars.If a belt fails, it can cause expencive damage to the valve gear and possibly to the engine internals.Be sure that the 928 you are considering has regular belt maintenance every 30-45000 miles, which should be the regular replacement interval.It's important to inspect the belt every time the car is serviced.

Hope this helps.Happy New Year !!!!

One of my best frend's dad has a 928S, i think, I know it is a 928 though, It has a 5 liter V8, and he said that stock it pushes out 320hp and 300ft/lbs or sumthing like that, but his is a 91. It has 3 mufflers, if you just take off one it makes about 15 hp, and he did that recently to his but i haven't managed to hear it yet. He uses it as a daily driver.

oh my gawd!!!! i used to own one of those... biggest money pit i ever owned... but that one doesnt look too bad. reason why theres no rust on the car is because the whole body of the car is made of aluminum. the upper wing is the origional 928-s wing and the other wing is a aftermarket one.. parts for that car is not going to be cheap.. the radiator is around $1200 (i know because i had to replace one) the water pump another $400 lol but i do like the interior.. i dont think ive ever seen one in white.. looks awswome.. hope you have more patients than i did with that car..this car is very high maintenance. but then again you can always drop a chevy 350 in it.. theres a company that makes a kit for this car so you can drop a small block in it.

I came across this car quite by accident, while taking a shortcut through a neighborhood close to my office.

The car does have a somewhat "shady" past and has been sitting a long time. Old gas has been drained and a fresh battery installed, but car refuses to start, no spark at all, so some further investigation will need to be done to figure what is going on, maybe after work today - we'll see! Great oil pressure too.

I am OK walking away from this car, if things do not work out, as I am not about to throw good money after bad. I am aware that they can be money pits, but also very reliable daily drivers as well. So its a toss up at this point.

Once it starts and I take it for a quick test drive, I'll determine if its worth buying or letting it go.

I'll update you guys soon.

Mike - Yes I still have the 911 Turbo...wink!

Yasin

the radiator is around $1200 (i know because i had to replace one) the water pump another $400 lol but i do like the interior.. .

It's always about parts when it comes to Porches. A buddy of mine had a 924, which from what I remember shared the engine with another manufacuturer. When he would go to the parts house to buy something like a t-stat, he'd tell them it was the other make, and the same exact part was magically 1/2 the price of the Porch one.

IMHO, the only way anyone can own one is if they don't care about originality, and have some fabrication skills. I was thinking why couldn't you adopt something else, like one of the aluminum radiators that we talk about for the Z, from Summit or something?

this car is very high maintenance. but then again you can always drop a chevy 350 in it.. theres a company that makes a kit for this car so you can drop a small block in it.

If it doesn't need a rebuild, fine, but if so, a Chevy swap would probably cost the same complete, and cheaper to repair as well.