HybridZ

OBX LSD for 240sx R200

Clifton

Actually that's about what they SHOULD cost IMO. Used to sell Dana Trac-Loks for about that price, and I always felt the Quaife was priced about 300% high, and along with being hyper-overpriced it gained this mystique of the magical clutchless LSD. People seemed to assume that because it was so overpriced that it had to be in all ways superior to the clutch LSD. Kind of a pet peeve actually, especially since I could sell the American version for a Dana 80 (gigantic truck diff) for less than 1/2 the cost of the R200 unit.

Here's a thread from another forum (thank god we are here and not there):

http://www.zilvia.net/f/archive/index.php?t-96477.html

If you can get past all the bickering it looks as though they are an exact copy of the Quaife. Some might have issues with that, as it's pretty underhanded to copy someone else's product exactly and sell it as your own. Then again "exact copy" comes from a forum for 240SX's, not from the manufacturer directly. It would be nice to know the torque bias ratio on that diff. Looks like the Honda guys haven't been breaking them, but they have some issues with fitment on the axles that has caused some serious problems (don't think that would be a problem for us based on the pics I looked at).

Someone should try it. The price is right...

hahaha... I like this guys opinion of this diff

"Why pay $250 for a "Phony Grip"?

( or is that phantom-slip ? )

When you can have a Helical !!

Or worse yet,

Pay anything for a chinese LSD !

Oh we-Be junX

They can't get their 1.6 Honda LSDs

to stay in one piece,

Just what is a 2.4L KA, or a 2L SR

going to do to one of them !

Do you want a JDM Spec car,

or a chinese rickshaw ??"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Nissan-Silvia-S-15-S15-Helical-LSD-240SX-S13-S14_W0QQitemZ8035789294QQcategoryZ33731QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hahaha... I like this guys opinion of this diff

"Why pay $250 for a "Phony Grip"?

( or is that phantom-slip ? )

When you can have a Helical !!

Or worse yet' date='

Pay anything for a chinese LSD !

Oh we-Be junX

They can't get their 1.6 Honda LSDs

to stay in one piece,

Just what is a 2.4L KA, or a 2L SR

going to do to one of them !

Do you want a JDM Spec car,

or a chinese rickshaw ??"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Nissan-Silvia-S-15-S15-Helical-LSD-240SX-S13-S14_W0QQitemZ8035789294QQcategoryZ33731QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ha, ha. He's a "good o'l boy" from Texas. Seems he doesn't like people from

Syria, Iran, N. Korea, or - france either.

So does anyone know if these work in the long diffs? I don't see why they won't if it's for a 12mm ring gear.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to revive this old thread, but it's the most recent I saw directly pertaining to the OBX diff.

I was just clicking around for information on them, and found a thread on a Honda forum about a teardown:

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=18501

Someone in there I think mentions that the metal in the splined parts might be softer than in some of the more expensive diffs, which is why some users have had problems with axles getting stuck in.

I somehow doubt OBX offers the lifetime guarantee that Quaife does :lol:

• 2 months later...

Time to drag an old thread back :)

I found this while looking for info on the OBX diff. This has a good write up on the strip and re-assembly of these units.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1752849&page=1

Now I have purchase one of these OBX 240sx units and they are the 12mm type and the normal open diff spline setup ie 30mm with 29 splines. I have a long nose R200 12mm type (from a R30 Skyline) that I plan to install this unit into. But I am thinking I might just follow the above thread and strip and inspect to ensure the washers are in the correct order )()()(

I will take pics also and post here also. Watch this space - also might take me a while work is nuts currently

There was actually a Torsen-Gleason unit available in the JDM Z31Turbo models. I helped change one out in 89 before I rotated. That apparently was a Nissan unit (or so they said)---with Fuji Heavy Industries supplying the 2007 Legacy Turbo with an R200 Torsen-Gleason Torque Biasing Differential, it's only a matter of time till these units start showing up in the junkyards at junkyard prices...finally!

It will be interesting to see what the diffy does when someone test it in "our application".

The newer S15 supposedly also uses that same HLSD.

Correct the S15 6speed SR20DET Spec R locally have them. I believe they are made for Nissan by these guys. http://www.gkndriveline.com/gkn-driveline/jsp_en/solutions/tmd/hg.jsp

The input spline might be different I'm not sure as I have not seen one yet but the ones that show up on evilbay (I am sure that is what the wife thinks) always have the shafts with them. A number of newer cars now come with these type of Helical Gear centers. S15 one example, MX5 another and I am sure many many more.

I am sure that in the next few years more and more of these Torsen/Helical Gear centers will become available - however until then I will try this OBX unit I now have.

I've got the S15 HLSD in my shortnose S13 diff (remember that thread? ;)) Looks like the GKN diff. It's got a 30 spline count on the output shafts and they're a little larger in diameter than the standard Nissan 29 spline shafts so it's a custom CV shaft set up all the way - you gotta make sure you get the correct output shafts!

I'm pretty sure I got mine from the Ebay seller mentioned above, no problems with him, just took ages to get through customs here.

Cheers,

Rob

I've got the S15 HLSD in my shortnose S13 diff (remember that thread? ;)) Looks like the GKN diff. It's got a 30 spline count on the output shafts and they're a little larger in diameter than the standard Nissan 29 spline shafts so it's a custom CV shaft set up all the way - you gotta make sure you get the correct output shafts!

I'm pretty sure I got mine from the Ebay seller mentioned above, no problems with him, just took ages to get through customs here.

I believe that the 88 SS shafts for the VLSD will work with that HLSD. I know they're larger diameter shafts with a greater spline count. I think since they're Z31T shafts that modern motorsport's CV adapters will work.

This thread has related info: http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=169151

EDIT-- I see you are correct, it does look like the GKN diff, not like the older Torsen.

I believe that the 88 SS shafts for the VLSD will work with that HLSD. I know they're larger diameter shafts with a greater spline count. I think since they're Z31T shafts that modern motorsport's CV adapters will work.

I wouldn't like to say yes to that without having the two types next to each other. The S15 shafts are the same lengths as the 280ZX CV shafts I've got i.e. both similar in length. When I pulled a S14 VLSD diff apart one of the shafts was much longer than the other. Unfortunately I got shot of the VLSD unit before the HLSD arrived so I didn't get a chance to see if the VLSD shafts would fit. One thing I remember about the VLSD unit is that you could see right the way through the shaft holes, handy as I had to hammer one of the shafts out using a big drift from the otherside, I can't remember if that's the same with the HLSD, if not then the VLSD shafts wouldn't work at all in it. I'll try and get some pics of the HLSD unit tomorrow, workshop is in a major state of flux though as I'm installing a milling machine.

Cheers,

Rob