HybridZ

Whats the Fastest you've Taken it? (is there a story behind it) (Video mounted in Z?)

240ZR

So tonight I joined the As Fast as my Datsun Knows it can go club.. Dose anyone here know how to mount those "car" VCRS and Camera sets? Dose it just run an inverter to the VCR or is there something more needed? a VCR cant be pulling that many amps.....anyone know of a decent kit?

Want to see me Next time I get Pulled over?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/73EB764B-3592-4EFB-BDBF-A048836C75BD.htm well not really but i feel like it.....

So tonight After a going to my girls house and and watching gone in 60 seconds, I was feeling invincible and wanted to see How fast I could take the Z..... Merged on to the 118 in Simi at Madera, its a pretty long flat stretch from Madera to Khuener (maybe 5 miles or so) so I figured All or nothing lets try it, by the time I was off the ramp i was at 65 and climbing fast, so i just leaned into it, and then freeway markers just disappeared I was on it for a good 30 seconds before I did it... I "pinned the Needle" 160MPH...... let me say this 0-65 is a normal 66-100 is very noticable 101-130 starts to get scary, 130-160+ Pure Velvet... the car was smoother then i expected only problem was that whine in the rear sounds pretty bad getting up there, but once I hit it it felt solid....

I had to back off quickly and slow way down b/c i saw traffic ahead and my off-ramp was coming, as well i did NOT feel like dodging and weaving or coming to my ramp at 160mph... I can say this coming up on a car doing 75-80 when your are doing double that WOW it comes FAST a lot faster then i expected....... and after all this I think I have realized that I need to keep it on the track and get a DD...

Thats insanly fast I had a 67 firebird for a while and had it upto 140 mph on a back road in surrey well estimated anyway the speedo has no stop and only goes to 120 but it looked around 140. Anyway the road is only a couple miles and when we started getting near the end the road went up and we got about 5 maybe six feet of air and Landed pretty flat actualy scared the **** out of me! Altho it massivly damaged my car! it ripped the exhaust OFF fucked the front end up and blew all the shocks and springs... hehe hell yes it was worth it but the was the last time Ive had a car anywhere near 100 mph infact the front of that car is still not straight i dont think it ever will be....... and yes I know it was stupid I just didnt realize the road came up that fast!!

I've dusted vette's and an NSX at over 165mph several times. My speedo doesn't read that mph, but theirs does and that's what they say they were doing, at least that and eating my dust!

Then the monte had a 406, 11:1, C&A rods, Dart heads, isky .510 lift cam, TH400, and 3.08 gears with an auburn 3 series posi.

I was wondering how z's felt at that kind of speed.

Evan, I know there's probably a little bit of stress in your life with that clock tickin' down... You've only got a few days before you head out to your NEW CAREER AND LIFE! Don't screw it up, man... That kinda speed on the street on those "may-pop" tires isn't so smart, for such a smart guy! Burn off that nervous energy under the sheets at your girl's house! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

A friend of mine had his 260Z 2+2 up to 307kph... call it 190mph. L28 decompressed with T3, ~ 7500rpm in 5'th, can't remember his diff/tyre package. The stock Aus speedo goes to 240kph, his was locked onto the zero stop. The speed was worked out afterwards from the ECU peak rpm. Damned if I can work out how he had the time to look at the ECU controller... he described the car as an 'unguided missile' at those speeds. Forest rally guys just can't seem to get away from the need for adrenaline...

I've been to 158 with my old setup. It was rock solid. Adjustable struts, eibach springs, aftermarket sway bars, poly bushings all around, and w rated tires 160+ I beleive. I could have gone more but wasn't 100% sure how smooth the rest of the freeway was. Btw this was at 4 a.m. and I passed no cars and never even caught up to a car. Still not safe.

I love driving the $#!+ out my car, but there is a time and place for everything. Top end adventures can rank as, sorry to say, the dumbest most reckless things you can do in a Z. The thrill isn't worth the risk. Yours and most engines on this site will push a Z lots faster than it should. Zs are notoriously poor on the aerodynamic side and flying down the road at 160+ and then leaving the pavement is going to be ugly. Just don't take anyone, or involve other innocent drivers along with you on your last ride. Nothing against you personally. Just would like to avoid losing a member on a thrill ride. John

ps. this post has come up quite a few times over the years, even used to do my own bragging. In my case a tension rod came loose the next day. What a pice of $#!+ I would have been killing myself and maybe others just so I could say I did XXXmph. I just hate to see how it gets the next guy/kid wondering how fast his Z will go. I'd rather see or hear about someone blowing away the competition at a sanctioned event. At least if you screw up not as many get involved. If I were king of the forums I'd ban this type of posts.

Ive been to an indicated 150+ on the datsun speedo which we all know is inaccurate. Now that I have a 200mph autometer I should have more accurate results, although i think ill try and stay cool on the streets, for the most part anyway. With all the dumb people out there its too scary. My car definitly got light at those speeds and wanted to move around, hopefully my new setup will be much better.

Bikes are another matter - my cbr600f4 i used to have frequented 140 an I took her up to 160 several times. Talk about ROCK SOLID -- there is nothing like speed on a motorcycle.

ive got some 140mph vids of my 260 but where i got a clip of the speedo ill have to dig them up. My z was stable to 120-140ish and then it got scary.

Guest tony78_280z

When I was a stupid teen, Mom's Chrysler Lebaron's speedo went to 125 mph. I had it burried on a lone highway in Wisconsin. (Wisconsin = lots of hills and turns) I wont ever do that again. I never had my Z that fast. Only twice I took it over 100, and that was only on the open freeway in very light traffic here in Missiouri/Illinois. (Illinios = long strait flat boring roads)

I'm building my Z for mild performance. I want quick acceleration and nimble driving. Not incredible top end. Why, cause I don't plan on driving it that fast, I just wanna get it fast quickly.

I had a 1971 El Dorado, 5100lbs on a military scale which was accurate to 20lbs.

It was FWD and had 500cubes. 550ftlbs 365hp net from the factory. 120mph at 4krpm in 3rd (lockup type automatic transaxel, top gear) felt like 80 in the Z. I didn't take it any further because at 4krpm it sounded like a freight train with 2.5" dual exhausts through flowmaster muffs. But it was smooth as a baby's butt. That thing was so cool it could break both fronts loose at freeway speeds when you hammered it.

I took it to the track once and it did 6 seconds to 60 and something like 12 sec 1/4 I can't remember if it was upper or lower 12, but considering it was 5100lbs and nearly stock you have to respect that 8.2L BBC.

in the blue Z fastest i ever went was almost the top of 5th gear in a reg 280z 5-speed. so maybe 145mph or so? felt fine. btw i ment just the reg 5-speed. the car was turbo'ed and at 16psi....

went 150+ in a few older projects of mine.

taken my uncles modded TT C4 vette to 181mph, thats what the digital dash said.

taken my dads Z06 into 6th gear, 160mph or so im guessing. really didnt look down at the speedo. now that car felt like a rock!

went 160+ in a few porsches and ferraris..

mike