HybridZ

Auto Glock 18 + 100 round mag = win

Oleh

I was at a hands on gun show in CA probably around 1990 and the Glock was still pretty new at the time. They had a demo that went all day, and they put 10,000 rounds through a Glock a matter of maybe 5 or 6 hours. They had several shooters and had preloaded clips, and they would basically slap in a clip, point it at the dirt mound backstop, and pull the trigger as fast as they could. When one guy would get tired they'd hand it off to another and keep going. Then at the very end of the day they shot a decent group with it. I was pretty impressed with it. Gotta wonder which gun actually got hotter, although I suspect the full auto.

In October, 1986 I was at the Federal Law Enforcement Academy in Brunswick, Ga and the guys from Glock came over from Smyrna and gave us a day long demo on their product line... I've never carried anything but a Glock Since... It's one fo the most durable and concealable weapons made and the accuracy is top shelf.

Mike :2thumbs:

In October' date=' 1986 I was at the Federal Law Enforcement Academy in Brunswick, Ga and the guys from Glock came over from Smyrna and gave us a day long demo on their product line... I've never carried anything but a Glock Since... It's one fo the most durable and concealable weapons made and the accuracy is top shelf.

Mike :2thumbs:[/quote']

Definitely one of the most innovative guns of our time. Being a fan of Smith and Wesson revolvers, I never liked the trigger feel of the Glock. But if I ever had to carry a pistol, that would be one of the first models I would look into.

Well in Canada we aren't allowed to carry handguns. Our handguns are limited to 10 round capacity; our semiauto centerfire rifles are limited to FIVE rounds. But unlike in the USA, our semiauto rimfire rifles can have unlimited round capacity. I have a ruger 10/22 with 50 round drum mag....feels almost like a Thompson, plinking without aiming :D

I still prefer the overall design and ergonomics of the 1911 as long as concealment isn't an issue, but even as a die hard 1911 guy I can say that that was pretty damn impressive seeing that glock spray that many rounds that quickly. Will I ever own one? ........... Nah.

Mike

There is a company that makes DOUBLE/single action 1911 called Para Ordnance in Canada. Ever heard of them? They sell in North America and have good reputation, very smooth trigger pull I heard. If you ever thought about carrying 1911 but is conservative about carrying a chambered+cocked+locked gun, then you should take a look. It's been too long since I touched guns, can't remember if it's ParaOrdnance or Para Ordnance...

There's a new .45 out that is 14 rounds, I can't remember the name but it was in my last issue of american rifleman.

Glock is a quality piece, but no matter what your packing, it's still the shooter that does the shooting. I shot IPSC for years, and I prefer my 1911 Colt Enhanced that's been worked and is switch barrel .400 Corbon and .45 ACP and last I checked the 1911 was winning all the matches, whether a colt or a copy. I think that speaks for itself. Mine will feed a whole clip of empty cases which is my gun builders test of tests for feeding ramp mods. I've never tried a glock with a clip of empty cases.

Nothing IMO can come close to the feel of a S&W revolver trigger, nothing! I own 3, all worked, custom pieces and I'd buy another if I had the need.

But it's all about preferences, like engines I guess.

I think it's the new Springfield XD that takes 14 rounds of 45. Quite a feat considering it's hard to just hold 14 rounds of .45ACP in your hand period. I'll admit that the Glock will take WAY more abuse than a 1911 and still function reliably. I think most 1911's would be hard pressed to fire away on full auto for that duration like the Glock did. Probably the best compromise between the two is the HK USP series pistols. Has the exposed hammer and much of the ergonomics of the 1911, with all of the durability of a Glock. Still kinda feels like a toy though.... Tupperware is best left in the kitchen.

is the glock 18 [the full auto model'] legal in the us?

IIRC, no full auto firearm is legal in the USA....unless you acquire a special permit/licence. As most compident shooters will tell you....a full auto firearm is best suited for only waisting ammo.....unless of course you just need to hose down your driveway!

Tom

IIRC' date=' no full auto firearm is legal in the USA....unless you acquire a special permit/licence. As most compident shooters will tell you....a full auto firearm is best suited for only waisting ammo.....unless of course you just need to hose down your driveway!

Tom[/quote']

Actually, this is not true. They are legal to own as long as they were registered before 1986. There is a lot of paperwork involved in a transfer, so most people who can both afford to buy them in first place and bother to go through with the paperwork go ahead and get the class 3 license for their convenience.