HybridZ

Most profitable junk yard Z parts??

Z-Noob

I have just got done stripping many all original parts from my newly aquired 71' 240z for the purposes of building a street/strip Z ala the Lsx/T56/R200 route. After selling a bunch of stuff on Ebay I was shocked at the prices some of the pieces got. Now being that this car is going to cost between 10k and 15k to complete (fully disassembled, media preped, rotisserie etc) and I like many others have other responsibilities I am going to begin buying parts from a local junk yard (full of Z's) and attempting to sell the parts on Ebay to pay for my project.

My question is what parts are the most "profitable"? i have a short list which includes

87-89 300zx R200 (duh)

turbo exhaust manifolds

280 R200 mustache bars etc.

Any upgraded carbs...

Nice grills

Nice bumpers

What else should I be on the lookout for? Thanks alot..:)

I think you nailed most of them...

Non cracked dashes and center consols would be on there too

Maybe black interior parts (Maybe, I know 240sx guys all want black interior)

Oddly enough stock hubcaps ive seen get good money

Uncracked 240 turn signals

Turbo ECU and wiring harness might be good too (280zxt or Z31)

A couple of other points, check for half price days and sometimes they pick a single item like transmissions and give them a reduced rate. Also do the junk yard tour, find out the other yards in different cities that are connected with them. A entrance fee at one place is honored in other cities so make a day of it by doing a circuit of j/y's...

LARRY

I've seen a complete Z31 maf, and ecu swap bring quite a bit of money on ebay... Also be sure to keep an eye out for Subaru (AWD) LSD rear (85-90)differentials, they're pretty much a bolt in for Z's and 510s, but stay away from the 90 and newer cars, they have a viscous LSD, and the stub axles snap in so they won't accept the bolt in Z/510 stubs... I'm fairly certain you can still get a 90+ open diff upto a certain year, of which I'm not sure, because they still have bolt in stubs... Keep an eye out for low ratio open diffs... I just got a 4.11 open diff from an early 90s legacy wagon, and its still got the bolt in stubs.

• 3 months later...

If you get the Maxima N47 head from the 81-84 RWD maxima that is a great one to get. Smallest chamber of any of the L6 heads and great squish. I got mine with head bolts and valve cover for $50 and sold the valve cover right there for $10.

The hard part is getting all the L24e EFI stuff off. I just bashed the fuel rail and injectors with a rubber hammer until I could get to the bolts.

Also supra 440cc injectors are good to get.

The yard I have been to has a flat rate for 6 cylinder engines($110?) and you can sometimes find 2jz motors sitting there...those bring pretty decent prices you know...

Heh... you will soon find out that the parts that are worth money really aren't easy to get at. Atleast not in California. I go to the Pnp 3 to 4 times a month to see what I can see, sometimes you will get lucky 9/10 you won't. Im going to start pulling Mustang 5.0 T-5's though. To make it worth the trip you got to find out what is worth a bunch of money in not only Z cars but toher makes aswell. Otherwise you will find yourself disappointed when you realize there are 5 Z's maybe in the entire 1400 car lot of which 1/5 of them has anything you need, and it has already been picked. :P Okay that was a bit pessimistic, but it is true.

Oh... And PnP gouges the hell out of you in Norcal it seems.

...but stay away from the 90 and newer cars, they have a viscous LSD, and the stub axles snap in so they won't accept the bolt in Z/510 stubs...

There's an easy fix to that situation in one of the diff. treads.http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798 Bottom of first post.

You take the button inserts from the side gears in your original diff and they fit right in your new ones so you can use your bolt in axles.

You should also look for good uncracked windshields, they're getting harder to find.

how about the plastic door locks pieces? Mine are broken, but the one's I've seen on Ebay are way overpriced. That'd be fine, Supply and Demand and all that, but no one is paying the price they ask, so it's sort of stupid seeing these guys trying to sell them way expensive with no bids...If you find any and put them on Ebay at a normal rate, let me know. :)