HybridZ

Aerodynamics DONATIONS NEEDED!!!

Anyone know that guy hybrid77Z? His true name is Mark Fraser... He seems like a real fine upstanding Zcar.com member... Doing them proud for sure! :2thumbs:

We're getting the plan together as this comes together gang, but BJ and a number of the members from the triangle Zcarclub in North Carolina will be putting it all together. This is geared towards handling moreso than top speed, and our goal is to try a number of very common and popular consumer pieces available thru the ussual vendors... Ride heights will be set and other measurements taken to insure we'll be able to collect as much data as possible in this testing...

Why am I not surprised that some tool on Zcar.com would raise such a stink... And what kills me is the admins over there are truly good guys and try to run a decent site... Brings to mind the saying I use regularly... "I'd be the biggest humanitarian in the world, but the people get in the way!" :cool:

Mike :cool:

Well with John C.'s donation, we're up over $320 for the day and the grand total todate is about $1800! I've got one check from a member and I will still be donating as well (I expect to kick in atleast $300-500 of my own money)...

As to the drivel over on zcar.com, there will be a project plan and a strategy. The people who are involved in this activity have run projects before gang, so don't worry. BJ and the guys in North Carolina are quite capable of pulling off the test. What will we get out of it? DATA that will be USEFUL. Will it be perfect for every scenario? I can't say. However, knowing those involved, I can assure you that the data will be useful in making future purchases and in setting up your car for street, autoX, or a day at the track.

The ney-sayers can just refer to their crystal balls for their info! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Hey classiczcars is posting some really neat links over there, check it out!

http://zhome.com/ZAerodynamics/AeroMillspaughPart1.htm

here is the link to the thread

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24228

I've got that article (Was an original ZCar Magazinge Subscriber and almost BOUGHT the magazine from the original owner when it went up in flames!!!) and they hi-lite some useful info... Again, most of us today are using lower suspension, larger wheels in those wheelwells taking up MORE space in those openings, and a varitey of spoilers and valances... However, the article has some very valid points!!

Mike

I just put you over the $1000 mark. She will liftoff at 185 mph I am betting.

I can second that because @ 165 mph the back end of the car started to get light. I will donate to this soon, I was thinking about doing a fluids model of a s30 and see what I get. This is def a good cause.

Clive

I doubt it will liftoff at 185, in 1989 there was an S30 that went that fast at Bonneville I believe they went 188mph....

Yeah, if you search the Archives at ZC.C, the Hybrid77/TKR514 threads are extremely negative. Rarely helpful, usually just sarcastic pokes at people asking questions. I may be an a$$hole, but jeeeeeez, at least I spend tiime in the Tech section trying to do my pennance for what happens over in the Car Talk Section! LOL

Mmmmm, Overtime this Sunday. More money to come I suspect.

What was that that Peter Sellers said (or was it Alec Guiness?) in "The Ladykillers"? "Just a pfenning from each policy holder, Ma'am. Nobody will miss one pfenning, will they?"

Probably not the thought that .53 cent comment was meant to elicit above, but it's the first thing I thought of when I read it... Probably best _not_ to make that particular persuasive argument for raising funds... LOL

:lmao:

...That individual is the example we'll use as to why we run this site the way we do. The guy is a tool and should be banned for his negative, lack of contribution of good info, and constant badgering of others... The question that should be asked is WHAT has he done to contribute positively to this hobby of ours? :roll:

He's a tool of the highest order for sure...

Mike

What we might learn from this time in the wind tunnel with the S30

1)Lift vs Speed - weight on the front and rear wheels plotted separately.

a.Stock form w/ and w/o headlight covers.

b.Front spoiler - BRE, MSA w/ 3-4" clearance, big honking track air dam 1" clearance

c.Rear spoiler - BRE, MSA, Whaletail

d.Roof treatments- roof diffusers, top hatch wing, driprails on-off

e.Hood options - stock, louvered, reverse scooped cowl.

f.Rocker side skirts.

g.g-nose

h.side windows up/down

2)Drag plotted with same conditions as above.

3)Airflow with smoke.

4)Pressure points at key locations vs Speed.

a. tail panel

b. along hatch

c. along waistline

d. windsheild base

e. around a,b,c pillars

f. underhood

g. wheel wells

h. roof top

i. points along hood

j. rear valence

k. rockers

l. underside key areas.

These are by no means, demands. These are suggestions.

It would also be cool if you could make some intentional small holes in the rear tail light section of the car, and see if any of the modifications keep the smoke from being sucked into the car, or trying to find ones that do.

MAN that meatbag Hybrid77z is a real waste of oxygen. This is the only forum I was aware of and may be the only one I use if thats all they have to offer...

Mike, you can count on a few duckies from me. I always score cash for Z-mas from the in-laws. BTW I'm in NC and if I can be of any help let me know...

Cygnus.. thank you for the ideas... The fact is.. that everytime i get a list together someone pops up with even more good ideas.. and the testing schedule gets updated...

It looks like we can cover all the common parts except the G-nose... it is just too valuable and too hard to mount and dismount quickly... that said.. we are still trying to decide if we are going to put a G-nose race car in the tunnel at the end of the day to just get some old school numbers... this would depend on a lot of things lining up with the sun and the moon...

We also have a splitter/underpan/rear diffuser all lined up for testing.. as well as roof mods and hood mods and a pantera deck...

The facility has the equipment to gather data on airflow through ducts, pressure at many points, much more can be interpolated later...

Hybrid77Z, Is this the same Hybrid77Z from ZCAR.com??? Why yes you are, and yes you must go... conduct unbecoming a human being... You and your boy Norm can have the Zcar.com sandbox to yourselves. :2thumbs:

Mike

Crap. The G-Nose seems like a #1 item for aero testing on the draggy S30. Any chance of using 2 equivalent cars (one with a G-Nose) and just swapping any other "differences" (like wheels) for the rest of the testing?

We're shooting for testing parts readily available. Unfortunately we dont' have one readily available. Also, I don't know of anyone in the USA that is currently selling a kit that doesn't cost $3000 or more. MSA discontinued theirs and Arizona Zcar nolonger sells one, and Showcar in Canada is unreliable. I had one that was stollen by a member who was going to "pull molds" from a couple years ago. It would have been ideal for the test. However, getting one from a member on loan, having it shipped to us, assembled and fitted to one of the chassis we'll be testing with, and then getting it back to its rightful owner isn't realistic...

Mike Kelly