HybridZ

My official L31DETT RHD thread.

1 fast z

BAH!

Now you live in the world of DOHC where you can surface grind all your bucket spacer/shims to adjust for valve recession...instead of simply turning a wrench!

But that's an improvement! LOL

Our equipment uses surface ground shims to set clearances as well...if the rotor assembly is off more and 0.005", we are off with a set of shims to find a local shop with a decent surface grinder. "In the old days" they were set up with an allen jackscrew and a locknut...but apparently the incidence of people not knowing how to properly torque a locknut resulted in too much warranty work...so in came the shims. I still open up older units and find the original locknut/jackscrew setup, and have to dissassemble the whole thrust bearing assembly to retrofit the 'new and improved' solid spacer. Better measure right the first time...you overgrind that shim and you're calling to explain 'why you need another one'---it usually gets blamed on incompetent machining! LOL

I was hoping they were already ground with some performance lift/duration. Well, at least you can independently adjust your lobe centers...that should really help with the turbo and any reversion problems. As well as allow you to move the powerband pretty much where you want, within reason.

Damn, that reminds me, I need to talk to Ron about my camshaft---or actually Franks. I need to get by his shop and pick it up! BEFORE I leave for Belgium.

Have fun at JCCS with that thing, I'm sure the Japanese Press Boys will be pressing for interviews and feature articles for some of the JDM Magazines. It's neat when you get into one of them with your car, they will usually send you a few copies... It's too late now for CarBoy's Annual L-Engine Shootout Issue (usually October) if they even do it any more...

• Administrators
Ok, so after ALOT of fighting with the spark on this setup, EDIS, MS2, etc. I FINALLY got it good enough to RUN, Yes RUN. ......

I need to say a personal thanks to all who helped on this project.

1.) My Dad, withouth his help, and almost 50 years experience with engines and engineering, It could not have been done.

2.) Mcadam, for his orinial therory, that we worked into a working model over time.

3.) Andy Mayfield for his efforts on the build of this car.

4.) J. Seymore, for his dedication to the "quicky" paint on this car.

5.)My wife for putting up with the long hours

6.) Last and Defnitly not least My grandfarther and grandmother, for without them, I would not have a shop to build this in, nor the know how on how to do any of the building.

This IS history folks. .....

clap.gifbgiorno.gifWay to go Bryan. This is a HUGE accomplishment and definitely one that will go down in Z car history for sure.

I have great admiration for your perseverance in following through and getting it running and also how you kept a thick skin every time the “nay sayers” piped up.

Congratulations my friend, good work, yeup, good work in deed. ave.gif

Paul Ruschman

Rusch Motorsports

Congrats 1 fast z. At least someone finished one lol. I'm curious to see how much more power can be made with that head vs. a stock head, but with everything else the same. In case anyone is wondering I'm didn't finish my head because I really did not want to go with a 88-89mm bore so I'm working with the stock L6 heads to try and find the hot spots and flow restrictions. Right now I'm at my college 3d Scanning the chambers on a N42 head once the chambers I'll be slicing the head open for more scanning.

Sorry about the thread jack 1 fast z but once again my hat goes off to you.

tbs

i love your work and its amazing to see this thing running but i have to agree with olie05 the valve cover is awesome. but sometimes less is more and it just looks a little busy to me... but thats just my opinion obviously its done now and nothing can be done about it. and im sure that you like how it looks because its your machining, good job

1 fast z.

Im just curious why you decided to put the first line of text on the bottom of the valve cover, rather than the top.

it reads:

By Blake Machine Pheonix Arizona

DOHC 24 Valve Twin Turbo

would'nt this make more sense:

DOHC 24 Valve Twin Turbo

By Blake Machine Pheonix Arizona

I actually like the shape of the valve cover though. It fits in with the style of the z car of the 70's

Looks like Ill be going NA on mine. Talked to the machine shop today and the guy will have the dowel pins in place as well as all the halves surface ground and ready for the side plates by friday.

I think Ill have to look into some reground cams, as you know the ones I have are slightly puny, lol!! pretty comparable to stock KA cams.

Gonna get a header built for it and I have a set of 50MM itbs in the works for it. I just hope they finish soon so I can get something for mock up in my 280ZX engine bay.