HybridZ

Exotic "SOUNDING", high revving V8! Read "ENTIRE" thread before posting!!!

Cams for a vh45DE flatplane crank arent even going to be an issue for me. Well I started shopping around for a company that woudl make me a flat plane crank for the VH45DE and Scat didnt get back to me but Crower did. Crower told me that they WOULD NOT make me a flat-plane crank. That they had tried in the past and the resulting motor shook too much. So if the pros wont do it for any price i suppose there isnt many more options for myself on making an engine with a flat plane crank. Please chime in if you have any other options!

Well, Ferrari makes flat plane cranks all the time; what then is Cower doing wrong? Did they not balance the crank after machining or where they lying to you? Of all the crank manufactures I would’ve thought scat would have jumped on this chance but I guess it wasn't to be. Hey BRAAP didn't you say you could turn a standard SBC crank on a lathe and create a flat plane? Would it have the same balance issues the VH45DE did?

I know Ferrari has flat plane cranks, thats why i dont understand why its almost like black magic to have one made for a motor. I might try contacting Scat again. I really think this is a fun idea if i can find a company with experience and drive to make it happen. Crower didnt say that they had tried a VH45de flat plane, they just said that the motors they did try shook way too much. Clifton, you have any links to companies that were at SEMA that might be interested? I am wore out from searching the web for a while. Who wants to find the secrets of the Ferrari engine enternals, theirs dont seem to shake too much.. why?

We were talking about the v8 ferrari's. Lotus and TVR also made flat plane v8s. The v8's in indy racing are all flat plane as are the ones use for the DTM. So you should have cranks floating around that will fit the nissan, nortstar, audi, and merc engines with a displacement at 4.0 lts. I think Opel used the northstar/chev/olds engine in dtm.

Douglas

Zrossa thanks, I will try looking around at race forums for old parts. But really, as you have said, many cars use flat plane cranks. It cant be all impossible to get one to work in an SBC or a nissan v8. What is the trick to making them manageable for street cars like ferrari, lotus or tvr?

For the money you guys are talking about, if you want a small high revving engine maybe you should look into finding a used Foyt Coyote They only weighted about 400lb, 255cid, and made about 750hp with prob about 40 (I'm guessing) lb of boost. Of course that is a 30 year old engine:)

Sorry, but I've always been a sucker for that engine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest griff30

braaapp, hit the nail guys.

I am or was, or what ever, a Navy jet mechanic in my past. (Now an R.N. , but thats another story and Im too drunk to type it) I studied IC engines of all tyes and would say Braaaaap Was on ke ywhen he mentioned the 180 headers. Smokey Yunick of Engineering Hall Of fame had used flat cracks in SBC and had some at the warehouse. He also used 180 degree headers. He liked the sound, but hell Im too drunk right now to remember much from his book let alone edit my post for grammer. Anyway, it sounded nice with either and he wanted to research it more.

A BBC 454 Chevele can sound like a flat crank Ferrari wth 180 degree exhaust headers and keep the 44% improvement in sootheness do to regular crank. At least I think it was 44%?

• 1 month later...

I would like to revive this thread and mention a new point. Audi has the RS4 which is a 4.2L v8 that revs to 8250rpm, now this is a accomplishment especially when i went to go look up the specs and it has a bore X stroke of 84.6mm X 92.7mm and a compression ratio of 12.5 to 1. Those are pretty close or the same as the other 4.2L from the the other Audi's, so i think we could easily mod some of these to spin really high with slight mods, some years even came with 5v per cylinder! The only issue with these engines is the transmission, im currently in the planning stages of trying to throw one of these V8's into my 240z with the 4wd. I might be contacting you Braaap in the future for some info and to acquire some of your services.

I would like to revive this thread and mention a new point. Audi has the RS4 which is a 4.2L v8 that revs to 8250rpm, now this is a accomplishment especially when i went to go look up the specs and it has a bore X stroke of 84.6mm X 92.7mm and a compression ratio of 12.5 to 1. Those are pretty close or the same as the other 4.2L from the the other Audi's, so i think we could easily mod some of these to spin really high with slight mods, some years even came with 5v per cylinder! The only issue with these engines is the transmission, im currently in the planning stages of trying to throw one of these V8's into my 240z with the 4wd. I might be contacting you Braaap in the future for some info and to acquire some of your services.

So, anyone know of a RWD transmission for the Audi V8's? Google didn't get me anywhere :redface:

Guest TeamNissan

I think Audi even advertises every model uses their quatro system. Can you just use the stock one and gut the transfer case? Pretty sure you can. I like that motor. Its a shame the power to ratio ratio is so high lol.