HybridZ

North Carolina water shortage EVACUATIONS.

bjhines

The Sunday paper had a "Doomsday" article about some of our drought problems. They have now scared the hell out of me.

If we don't get rain soon, our water supplys will run out. This is only 2 months away. The local lakes and reservoirs are running dry quickly. We have already been on draconian water restrictions for months. There is no river running through the Raleigh area.

The local athorities are seriously talking about closing industries and restaurants within the next month or 2.

If we don't get some significant rain by 2008, they are talking about EVACUATING RESIDENTS!

HOLY 4uck! We might have to leave the area. We have had humidity and rainfall similar to the SouthWest USA all year. Plants and trees are dying, The yards look like shiat. Since we have no river in the area, we seriously rely on rainfall to keep the reserviors full.

We are so 4ucked. On a side note, I have been able to work on the project 240Z body without fear of flash-rust all summer long.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are dry down here near Charlottle also. My 200 ft well is dry. It was used for irragation only so we can still flush. The local water table has dropped over 100 foot this year.

I'm sure next year this time we'll be complaining about all the rain we have.

Same across the state. Thankfully its raining here today. Its going to take alot of rain for the water table to recover.

On another hand, the people that complain about the water, are they doing their part?

Taking navy showers?

Using paper plates to prevent washing dishes?

Not saying your arent BJ, just hate hearing people complain then they break the rules.

I was in the Climatology department at school the other day, they were doing an interesting study about increased annual temps. and relocation of rainfall. Hopefully this isnt a new regular thing.

Its like that in Georgia too. What rain we have had this summer doesn't even make mud. I think I've mowed the grass 3 times this year and then only to knock down the drought tolerant weeds, grass died months ago. They are talking about closing businesses here too. One of the assholes I work with was bitching the other day because the police gave him a ticket for washing his car during the water restriction. Funny though, you drive past the $300,000 + housing developments and their landscapes still look very green. Hmmmmmmmmm, I guess the police don't ticket those folks.

I am afraid that this will hit us blindsided in a way similar to the way hurricane Katrina took NewOrleans by surprise.

I can only imagine the mass hysteria the day they start evacuating residents from the entire central NC area. There are MILLIONS of residents. I live in a relatively wealthy area with a small police force. The looting that would go on in Cary after a major evacuation would be historic.

Wouldn't it be more prudent just to ship in water than to evacuate an entire city? Seems pretty drastic. We've been under water restrictions here for a while too, but it's not like they're thinking of evacuating or anything. Seems pretty silly to leave everything behind due to lack of water, especially when nobody's life is in direct harm.

wow. i caught some of this on the news last night but really thought nothing of it since it is what we are used to. when it does rain, watch out for the flooding. after the soils is baked to a concrete like finish, only a small amount of rain will cause more problems than what you have now. flash floods happen here with only a half inch of rain. we have had several 2.8" rain days that caused huge problems. several years ago a bridge was about to collapse in mesa. hope the weather changes for the best for you guys on the other side of the country.

jimbo

Sounds like my side of the state is about to get crowded. I run off well water and haven't had a single problem all year. We've been under a burn ban for a while because of the dry weather, but otherwise we don't seem to be incurring any severe side effects. Of course we have an entire ocean and ocean fed rivers that keep our area wet.

I can only imagine the mass hysteria the day they start evacuating residents from the entire central NC area. There are MILLIONS of residents. I live in a relatively wealthy area with a small police force. The looting that would go on in Cary after a major evacuation would be historic.

I'll bet my Z this will never happen because of water shortages.

I live about 45 minutes N.W. of Charlotte, we have water restrictions and it is bad. But I haven't heard of anything like evacuating. Heck, hurricanes can be heading straight for the Outer Banks and residents won't leave. Why would they leave because of water. Half of the people in my town don't take showers anyway, lack of water or not.... so we are conserving in my county. Well except on Saturdays. haha

Its just hype to get you scared. Just like they do with everything else. DOOMSDAY YOU WILL DIE. BE SCARED AND DONT THINK OF REAL THINGS THAT ARE WRONG YOU WILL DIE. You wont run out of water. Remember there will always be a supply of bottled water that you can go to costco and buy for like 30c a bottle. Theres a drought everywhere (Global warming?) so being evacuated to another state with no water would make little sense. Dont be engulfed by the scaremonger tactics they use.

I've been in Raleigh for the past 22 yrs. I don't remember it being this bad.

I hope my well doesn't go dry. This is the first time we had large trees drop leaves before fall. Some of the poplar trees started to bud a 2nd time after we go some rain last month and then the buds died.

Pray for rain.

wow. i caught some of this on the news last night but really thought nothing of it since it is what we are used to. when it does rain, watch out for the flooding. after the soils is baked to a concrete like finish, only a small amount of rain will cause more problems than what you have now. flash floods happen here with only a half inch of rain. we have had several 2.8" rain days that caused huge problems. several years ago a bridge was about to collapse in mesa. hope the weather changes for the best for you guys on the other side of the country.

jimbo

Yeah but we have storm sewers! My brother lives in Tucson. I was out there a couple years ago during the "rainy season". Its a sight to see for sure. Water running down the streets was like driving through rapids. I think they lost 2 people swept away in those dry water shunts. 10 minutes later it quit raining and everything was dry as a bone.

Yeah but we have storm sewers!

storm sewers??? i know. jk. i have a storm water retention pond down the street from my house. it has 2 soccer fields in the bottom. a couple of years ago it rained 3" in 2 hours. not alot for you guys out there or in other parts of the country but that was a ton here. the pond is 13' deep and i did not see the goal posts for 2 days. all i can say is i hope it rains soon. a little at first and then alot later. and you know that when you are tired of the rain and want it to stop, you still wont have enought to get the lakes back to where they were before.

jimbo

We are dry down here near Charlottle also. My 200 ft well is dry. The local water table has dropped over 100 foot this year..

im sure that the local media is blowing some of it out of proportion but not all of it can be far from the truth. i dont think mark's main job is to scare people into voting one way or the other. i trust what ive seen more that the medias version. the porblem is out here as well. there are canyons in lake powel that have not been exposed to hikers for decades since the dam went up. let it rain everywhere.

jimbo

Nope, we don't have water here either. Not a big deal, you get used to pissing in the yard. Saves water and waters the lawn at the same time.

Lol that's what I do at my friends house simply because someones always in the bathroom, I justify myself by "saving water" and "killing weeds"