HybridZ

North Carolina water shortage EVACUATIONS.

bjhines

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't it be more prudent just to ship in water than to evacuate an entire city? Seems pretty drastic. We've been under water restrictions here for a while too, but it's not like they're thinking of evacuating or anything. Seems pretty silly to leave everything behind due to lack of water, especially when nobody's life is in direct harm.

NO, Warren, that would be far too logical.

Let's see, I lived in CA and we had 9 years of drought. Looked like crap before the dought, looked like crap after. Same same.

I almost guarantee that after a few weeks of wet winter, no one will remember this time in NC. Currently, though, my lawn does resemble my CA lawn: dead weeds. :mrgreen:

Davy

Wouldn't it be more prudent just to ship in water than to evacuate an entire city? Seems pretty drastic. We've been under water restrictions here for a while too, but it's not like they're thinking of evacuating or anything. Seems pretty silly to leave everything behind due to lack of water, especially when nobody's life is in direct harm.

When the crappers quit flushing the city gets evacuated. We are not talking about drinking water shortages. Obviously you can go buy more water in bottles. The problem comes from the fact that sanitation will stop working when the water runs dry.

I would not bet on a wet winter. We usually have dryer winters than summers. We need massive amounts of rainfall in the next few months to keep up with the demand on our reserviors. It is unlikely we will get enough rain this winter to bring levels back up to a safe mark. The thing is, We may well run out of water before the spring rains.

I heard it was going to be a pretty dry winter here...

I dug my well when the last "drought' hit about 5 years ago in this area when we built the house.. Its been fine so far. We hit a pocket 'o water. More than we could pump @ 12gpm.

We've had a couple sprinkles in the last few months. One just the other day.

In the case of North Carolina. I am sure the population explosion over the past 10 years is not helping the water situation. I read that the population has tripled in the along I-95 in the past decade.

So far as the Outer Banks, they keep putting up 10 bedroom houses in Duck and Corolla, moving the old 5 bedroom houses up beach to Corova. Rendering ground water non-potable. Finally a working municipal water works in Corolla, and the water company now says not to install copper pipes, becuase their product (water) is corrosive - and it tastes like it is too! What a F'n place!

When people hear global warming, they expect weather to get hotter and hotter. That's because of our general tendency to be short sighted. The path to global warming is an ugly one. In this case it's not the end result that we need to worry about, but it's the path to the end result that will kick our a$$es.

We already see changes in micro climates that will be followed by changes in macro climates. I still don't think humanity should take full blame for the changes. Are we that egocentric?

There is so much finger pointing going on. Human nature.

Good luck there in NC and CA and everywhere else where adaptation is already beginning to nudge the unaware.

Nomex, a kayak, relocation, beer...those will buy us some time.

:hs:

Its just hype to get you scared. You wont run out of water. Remember there will always be a supply of bottled water that you can go to costco and buy for like 30c a bottle.

30 cents a bottle? Right. If drinking water becomes scarce, you will lucky to buy it for $3.00 a bottle if you can find it at all. Just consider the population of that area of NC.

Think about this. Each of the 165,000 men and women in Iraq drinks approx. 5 bottles per day according to a recent report I just read. That is 825,000 bottles of water per DAY. Probably 10 C130's flights per day worth. What is the population of that part of NC? 5 million? Think about it. How would you even get that much drinking water to where it needs to be?

No they wouldnt up the price of water to 3.00 a bottle. Especially not a large chain store like costco. Thats called price gauging is illegal and i highly doubt that Costco would put their reputation in such jeopardy to make some more money. How do you get that much water there. Simple, trucks and airplanes.

What does any of this have to do with iraq? Last time i checked NC isnt a desert . And we also dont have highways going to iraq to deliver products, oh and its thousands of miles away.

Think about this, people in canada wear coats and use heaters in the winter time to keep from freezing, does that apply to me? No as i dont live there.

our gas prices went up anytime a cloud went by a off shore well. the big price gouging happened when a construction worker hit the only gas line to feed the phx area. no gas came in by pipe, only truck. gas went way high. we now have law also against price gouging but the law makers saw it as supply and demand and not price gouging.

i bet cosco would jack the prices up a bit. just my $.02.

jimbo