HybridZ

I have a new baby!!!!

Gollum

Ok, so I'm selling my CRX back to the previous owner like we'd agreed upon. And I needed to either get my 280ZX on the road in 2 weeks or less (impossible for the most part) or buy a new car. I wanted something presmog, and I only had around $1000 I could reasonably spend or so. $1500 was doable but would be a stretch. What did I get?

drum roll please...

A 75'

Datsun

280Z!!!!

And it has an L28ET installed, so I guess now I'm officially a hybridZ owner!!!!

Spare misc parts, decent body (normal floor rust, but very little in other areas), and it's running pretty solid except a slight miss at idle. Sticky injector maybe? I'll run some cleaner through it and change the plugs + wires, see if that clears it up.

My GF took some pics of it sitting in it's dusty corner, and got some pics after it was rinsed off. I'll post them up tomorrow if I can.

I really REALLY wanted a 240Z, but this was the right price, and will do what I need it to. Tomorrow i'll be going over the whole vehicle and making an auto parts run to buy some basic things for it, fuses, switches (might rewire the turn signals), wipers, etc. It really needs a bath too.

Btw, it's black on black!!! (only one seat though)

Looks like a semi-gloss black.

No bumpers. Turn signals are lower on the outsides (i can never remember what came like what). It has a regular S30 seat in it. Small crack in the windshield on the upper right (driver) side.

Umm... can't think of what else. Very minimal rust. Battery tray is great, hatch area is 95% solid, the only major body imperfection is that the hood is rusting and someone tried to open up a hole for the S130 turbo 82-83 NA hood scoop, and some corner panel damage behind the driver's rear wheel.

Some big flares would fix that though :D

Even VGs would cover most of the body damage. Shouldn't be too hard to pull out to a decent curve again.

Oh yea, car was in west oakland, but I believe it used to be in travis. That's where the owner is from and where he said he used to have the car.

EDIT: Oh yea, another very distinctive "feature" of this car is the boost guage what was a pretty poorly done job. Dash is a bit hacked up from it.

Ok, so I don't know how I missed this before, but I think it might have mismatched injectors, or they've been painted (wholely possible). Anyways, just got new wipers put on, DANG they make a difference. Before rain ment that going 65mph on the freeway was insanity, now the water actually gets removed, not just smeered.

Anyhoo, on with the pic!!!

Here it is as it was sitting when I got to it.

p1000067new001xn9.jpg

p1000068new002do8.jpg

p1000069new003ns3.jpg

After a quick rinse.

p1000075new004pb5.jpg

p1000078new005tj1.jpg

The GF taking a pic of me as we left with the car. (use a figure, probably a good thing...)

p1000079new006aj2.jpg

Today at my parents house. Gonna look over a few things and see if I can get some bugs worked out. Clean the windows for sure....

p1000080new007fu5.jpg

p1000081new008kc7.jpg

p1000083new009pi6.jpg

p1000084new010ht5.jpg

A random Zclub sticker on the passenger quarter window.

p1000085new011tv0.jpg

Some interior shots (or lack there of).

p1000086new012my1.jpg

my.php?image=p1000087new013jr9.jpg

p1000088new014vp6.jpg

p1000089new015re5.jpg

p1000092new016fe2.jpg

p1000093new017oc9.jpg

p1000094new018ud8.jpg

Engine Pics (i'm not a fan of the turbo intake piping....)

p1000095new019ij0.jpg

p1000096new019db7.jpg

p1000097new020vv7.jpg

Ghetto!

p1000098new021ov0.jpg

Worst Hack Job Ever

p1000099new022sx2.jpg

Money Shot!!!

p1000101new023xk0.jpg

So that's what I got thus far. As you can see, it's not really that S30 we're all looking for, and it's not the best deal in the world for 1k, but I don't think it's anything close to a bad deal either.

I'm loving the rims still. Might consider buying rudypoo's rims in the future. We'll see.

Congrats on the new toy,

You know It might not look like 1 million bucks, but I love Zs like yours. flat black or bad paint, kinda cool old school wheels, a bit beat up, but packing heat. nothing says cool like a car that seems like a total POS but can lay the smack down when called upon. I would seriously consider leaving the exterior as is and just clean up the engine bay a bit, add mega-squirt, and intercooler and be done with it for a bit. Don't get all wide eyed when it comes to new paint and new interior and blah blah blah, just drive the thing and enjoy it. :)

sweet deal eh!

Congrats on the new toy,

You know It might not look like 1 million bucks, but I love Zs like yours. flat black or bad paint, kinda cool old school wheels, a bit beat up, but packing heat. nothing says cool like a car that seems like a total POS but can lay the smack down when called upon. I would seriously consider leaving the exterior as is and just clean up the engine bay a bit, add mega-squirt, and intercooler and be done with it for a bit. Don't get all wide eyed when it comes to new paint and new interior and blah blah blah, just drive the thing and enjoy it. :)

sweet deal eh!

I totally agree with sparky, leave it lookin how it is, just FMIC and MS it, will be a ton of fun and not too expensive that way. and best thing is, you get to actually drive it, not look at it in paint jail.