HybridZ

Everyone Hates Car Theives

Gollum

And boy do I know. I think in my family's history we've had about 4-5 cars stolen.

Now I can add myself to the list.

The 280ZX was gone this morning when I got up to leave for school. I'm still waiting for the cops to show up.... almost an hour later.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you, or anyone else wants help or advice wiring up a rather anal alarm into their car, I'll help. I've wired up several, including a rather fancy one on my 280ZX. For some reason these cars attract a lot of attention, and a creative alarm install goes a long way towards convincing people they shouldn't touch it.

BTW, I liked that S130...bad thing is you can frequently open the locks to our cars and start them with a bobby pin and flathead.

We have a cheesey '92 Honda Accord. Thieves have only tried 3 times. Two of the times they could not even get into the car. The third time they got in and broke the ignition lock, but were unable to start the car. I had to replace the ignition lock cylinder, it was inexspensive. I was looking at how these things are built, it seems very easy to steal a Honda anyway. I guess we were lucky that the bandits were to stupid to know what they were doing.

Yep theives suck.

I had my truck broken into not two weeks after getting painted and put together. It was the police that woke me up to let me know that it had happened, they caught the guy in my truck, so nothing went missing, but enough damage to the doors and paint to piss me off to no end.

My Grandfather lost a mildly done up '85 S-15, SBC, aluminium slot wheels, custom paint, it was his daily driver. Came out in the morning and it was gone. It did end up being found about a week later stripped. pretty much nothing left.

A few years later they tried to grab my Grandfathers '90 Ranger, but all they did was break the window and damage the ignition cylinder, still annoying, since I had to replace the window, which is not an easy task in those trucks.

I hear everyday how someone's vehicle is stolen, I install Automotive security systems and people will come in for estimates on replacing the audio systems, and accessories for the insurance company, and then usually the first thing done to the new vehicle is a security system.

It only seems to be getting worse.

Good luck Gollum, we hope your 280ZX turns up unscathed.

If you, or anyone else wants help or advice wiring up a rather anal alarm into their car, I'll help. I've wired up several, including a rather fancy one on my 280ZX.

I vote for a security system thread.

How good is your insurance? I had my first Z stolen from the driveway in front of my house. Because I had a list of what I had done to the car (the receipts were in the glovebox of the car which, in hindsight, was not the place to keep them ) and the cost I assigned to them was reasonable, I got $3,100 for a car I had paid $3,200 for three years earlier and had invested about $700 in fixing up.

In retrospect I kind of laugh - the car looked like it had been dipped in Porsche Red (7 coats of red & 3 clearcoat) but it was a $500 paint job. The rest of the work I had either done myself or used salvaged parts. It had bondo in every fender, the brakes needed to be rebuilt, the engine was burning oil (not a good sign for an old L28), the seats were shredded, the dash was cracked, and it had an AM/FM 8-track player in it with the stock speakers. They never found the car and I used the money to buy an old Sentra and pay off a couple bills until I found my current car 3 years later.

Needless to say the 280Z28 is in a locked garage every night since the day I brought it home.

Luckily, I haven't had a car stolen. Someone tried to get my '66 Chevelle quite a few years ago. They broke in, hot wired it and tried, but failed to get it started. Did I mention it had a perforated block and oil pan where the two pistons came out? They made enough noise trying to start the thing that they woke the neighbors. Didn't catch them but chased them off.

I had a 1983 Nissan Laurel Medallion stolen once, that was the top of the line luxury cruiser of the time it was made, only model above it in the lineup was the leopard limosine, electric everything, options and extra trim out the wazoo... 20 years old at the time and the option lists was still pretty respectable compared to a new car.

It also had over a grand worth of SCUBA gear in the boot ready for a dive trip. that hurt as much as the loss of the car. More so since I already had 2 other cars at that point.

Thanks for the support guys.

I'm down for contributing to a security sticky. I've installed a few systems and I've found some pretty creative ideas around here too. Just need to get all the information consolidated down to a single usable thread.

The only reason the car didn't have any form of security on it is that I'd JUST gotten the thing on the road, and had a wopping $105 into the entire cost of the vehicle (gift to me). So I wasn't going to double my costs on anything fancy, and I just hadn't gotten around to installing some basic idiot switches.

As far as the insurance goes, I'm still talking with them about what they're going to cover. When I first insured it they told me I couldn't get comprehensive on it, even though I asked for as much coverage as I could get. So now they're telling me if I had comprehensive that the loss of the car would have been covered. After explaining to them THEY told me I couldn't get comprehensive even though I asked for it, they said that they'd look back through their records and if that is indeed the case, and they COULD have given me comprehensive, then they'll cover the vehicle.

Still no word about what was in it, but I can go through the home owners insurance if need be. I have to wait for the home owner to get back form a cruise though.

That really sucks..... two kind of people I hate... Liars and Thieves

Along with some creative security things... a lojack or some sort of GPS tracking device will be something I will look into.. A cheap cellphone can even be setup to be tracked..easily