HybridZ

Top End Performance. Reputable?

madkaw

Any feedback on TEP-Top End performance. I was considering flywheel lighteneing service from them, but haven't found much info about them from the Z sites. Any references or warnings would be appreciated.

TEP has had some shady dealings over the years. I've personally been to their shop and saw the "600+" hp yellow car that later dynoed at 350 or so. Nice car though not as advertised. I bought several sets of sway bars from them and never had a problem with my own purchases. A friend of mine bought a bunch of brake parts and got the wrong stuff and had a bitch of time getting it straightened out. Another friend got just plain wrong advice on his 510 head. I don't remember what the issue was exactly, but the bottom line was he called Steve to see if he had a necessary part, Steve said it didn't exist, and then he ended up buying the same imaginary part from someone else (Nissan Comp if memory serves).

Dont go to him for engine builds or parts. Sway bars and stuff OK. He did a motor for me years ago, and it was not what he said it was. I mean in the quality of the work and the parts installed. He'll tell you what you want to hear. There are so many other better places to go. Just my .02

The bump was because the post didn't show up when I looked at 'new posts', so I thought I would bump it to see if it came up. maybe I should have waited longer.

I want to lighten a flywheel and I noticed TEP does that, so I wanted ask to see if there was anyone that has dealt with them-especially for flywheel servicing?

Well can anyone steer me towards a reputable shop that can turn down a flywheel? I can't imagine with all the performance stuff that has been done by members on this site that there isn't a good reference for a flywheel lightening.

Any machine shop can lighten a flywheel for you. I actually WOULD use TEP for that though. At the levels that they lighten them to I don't think they're that dangerous, although a lighter flywheel that is built to weigh 10 or 11 lbs will respond better than a stocker turned down to 16.

^^ True, I only wanted so much to keep drivablity. I can start the car out in second, shifting is easy and throttle response in amazing!

I'm weighing in at 17.

Taking the meat out of the outer radius is where most of the action is anyhow.

Balance the flywheel after work, and the pressure plate. Just that alone makes the engine almost invisible to the sense of feeling, I have to watch the rpms when driving,,,,,,,(loud stereo)

I myself have dealt with TEP and would never buy from them again.

I originally bought my triple webers from them and payed top dollars for the complete kit. Everything needed to bolt up or so was advertised. It was supposed to be bolt on and go. After half a year of modifying things and changing jets the car ran decent. When they sent it to me the manifold was hitting the linkages so I couldn't even open the carbs up. I have the thread posted on here from back in the day.

They are complete @sses to deal with when something goes wrong. Thier attitude was they just didn't care, you already paid them so "tough $hit". That's just not the kind of place I like to do business with. I've learned my lesson.

I guess it's like Ebay... sometimes you get a sweet deal, other times you get screwed.

-Ed

I think you'd be a lot better off getting a Fidanza flywheel. They are 10.5lbs and they have a replaceable contact surface...much easier to deal with than trying to get it resurfaced every time you need to change the clutch. I believe they are a lot safer to run than lightening a steel flywheel that much, as well.

They were 285$ shipped on ebay last time I checked.

• 4 years later...