HybridZ

How do you guys pronounce Datsun?

Adam393

My dad and I are always arguing about how to pronounce Datsun, but being that hes from NY and I was born and raised in OH, we are naturally going to pronounce things differently. I suspect that this may be a potato-potatto situation, but can anyone shed some light on how to correctly pronounce it. I say it "Daht-sun" my dad says "Daat-sin". Which is technically correct, and how do you guys personally pronounce it?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Cincy from age 11 to 19 and Dayton 8 years and and Cambridge Ohio fro 16 and I know we pronounced things strange. Like gasoline is gaZoline and we got our hairs cut not get a hair cut. But Datsun was always Daht Sun, at least in Greenhills. I never head anyone say "Daat-sin".

Son of DAT = DATson, later Datsun(since 'son' also means 'loss' in Japanese), so it follows that it should be 'DAT' as in 'that'

...but I've heard it as 'Dat' as in 'dot' all my life, so that's what I go with so I don't get oddball looks and pointless corrections. I'm willing to bet our Commonwealth friends(with possible exception to our northern neighbors) pronounce it the other way.

Dat, as in Bat or At, followed by Sun, as in Bun.

Mind you, I probably prnounce Bat and Bun differently to the americans, (either southern drawl or northern nasal versions of the Yankee accents)

Hard A, Short U.