HybridZ

What sports car to buy?

Drax240z

47 members have voted

1. 1. What sports/super car would you buy in the $25,000 range?

• Porsche 911
    • Acura NSX
    • BMW Z3M Coupe
    • Corvette Z06
    • Other car
    • Save more money to buy more expensive car!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some great responses guys, thank you. Mostly cars I've considered, but I have MY (personal) reasons for choosing some rather than others. I'll put them out there for debate.

The Originals

Porsche 911 - Lots to like, and everyone knows what that is. Drawbacks for me are 1) too common 2) probably too much work for a $25,000 example. Not ruling this out.

NSX - Really like these, need more power and more noise and basically they are great. Headers, exhaust, intake take care of the noise. If I didn't have a buddy locally with one I'd probably be more interested than I am. His is a 9.5/10 beauty. Still not ruling this one out.

Corvette Z06 - Never really in the running for me, but it's a hell of a lot of car for the money. Not sold on styling, commonality, or the cheap-ish fit and finish. Probably not in the running.

BMW Z3 M Coupe - Car I've been lusting over for 11 years. S54 examples have 315hp, and are among the best handling cars made. Love it or hate it styling, I love it. An object of desire, but is it the best choice? Front runner for sure.

The Suggestions

Lotus Elise - I lust after this car, but worry that it's going to be a bit underwhelming as a STREET car. If it was an autoX/track car, with only occasional street use, I'd consider it. For me, I'm looking for a street car with occasional autoX use.

Ariel Atom - See above, but twice as much. ;) I see a lotus 7/Ariel Atom as a 2-3 year DIY project down the road a bit.

BMW E30 - Too mundane/common for my tastes, even the M3. A bit too old. I drive an E36 every day as it is.

MKIV Supra - Driven a few, not the "driving" experience I am looking for though. I like them in a lot of ways, I'm more of a corner carver than a straight line guy though, and the Supra seems better tailored towards brutal acceleration.

Lancer EVO - I have ZERO interest in a boosted 4 cylinder unless it's in a MUCH lighter car than this. Not a big fan unless it's for rally use. (where it's phenomenal) Not my intended usage.

Honda S2000 - Best steering I've ever driven. Fits the corner carver in me. Engine is only so-so in my mind. Not a fan of convertibles. A bit too common for me.

Mustang - I've owned one, no interest in owning another. I understand the appeal, but I'm looking for something a bit less cookie cutter.

Volvo C30 T5 - Not quite going to do it for me, in this particular application. Maybe a better replacement for my daily driver, but I can't see a scenario where I get revved up to get the Volvo out of the garage for a weekend cruise. Not sure a manual tranny is available?

Super 7 - In the long term plan, but it's got to be DIY project and I'm not looking for that at this point. In a few years once the kids are doing their own thing perhaps.

BMW E36 M3 - Doesn't work for me, not looking for a daily driver. E36 already daily driven.

Porsche 928 - Just doesn't do "it" for me. Love it or hate it styling, and I don't love it.

Jaguar - Unless its an XK120 or a D-type, I'm going to have to pass. ;)

Skyline - RHD only here. Not an option for me.

I'm cheap and wouldn't spend the $25K when I can buy a very limited production MazdaSpeed Mx5 (Miata) for around 10K with a hard top. Another 6K in upgrades for tires, fuel management, and such will put 250hp down at the wheels (Big Enchilada from Flying Miatas) and still have change to buy wax, full body length mirrors, and pay to attend about 100 shows. They are reliable, great handling, and hold value. One billion or so spec racers can't all be wrong. Otherwise, just drop the coins on any P-car in good shape. Or if really basic "cheap" thrills of the highest order is your game just buy the Atom and be done with it.

g

My dad is having a Z3 coupe in 3,0L version (230hp version). It is very close to what I believe would be a modern Z; from the way you seat, the engine specs, etc. It is a nice car but it suffers some steering feels not so good, it feels loose. I guess it could be solved with some goodies (strut bars, roll bars, rack bushings?).

Some cars on the list also will not lose value anymore, the E30 M3 is one of them. I will never buy a car as investment but it's good to know you won't lose money on it if you change your mind. I was looking for one here in Europe, cost doubled in 3 years. All reviews I've read said it's an great car.

My personnal daily driver was an EVO8 for 3 years with basic bolt ons (300whp). You don't want to consider it but it was a blast to drive; Very very nice handling even when stock, it is heavy on the scale but you don't feel it when you drive it.

I love as well the S2k (I use the exchange my Evo for the S2k from a colleague from time to time) but it's too small for me. I'm 6'2, I can drive it but you have to forget hell-toe since my knee was always in contact with the steering wheel when driving no matter what.

For 25k, you can also get a E46 M3 but for a weekend car, it feels too confortable.

What about also a Porsche Boxster S? I've never driven one but I've been passenger once, I liked it.

Edited by Lazeum

Some great responses guys, thank you. Mostly cars I've considered, but I have MY (personal) reasons for choosing some rather than others. I'll put them out there for debate.

MKIV Supra - Driven a few, not the "driving" experience I am looking for though. I like them in a lot of ways, I'm more of a corner carver than a straight line guy though, and the Supra seems better tailored towards brutal acceleration.

The stock Mark IV Supra chassis has also proven an effective platform for road racing, with several top 20 and top 10 One Lap Of America finishes in the SSGT1 class. Despite its curb weight, in 1994 the Mark IV managed a remarkable skidpad rating of 0.95 lateral g's (200 ft). The Z4 M Coupe manages 0.88 lateral g's. [/url]

The Mark IV Supra also featured a four-sensor four-channel track tuned ABS system with yaw control whereby each caliper is sensored and the brakes are controlled individually according to the speed, angle, and pitch of the approaching corner. This unique Formula One inspired braking system allowed the Supra Turbo to record a 70 mph (110 km/h) -0 braking distance of 149 feet (45 m), the best braking performance of any production car tested in 1997 by . The Z4 M Coupe manages to do it in 215 feet.

To the Miata comments... I used to own one, great car. If I was really going the convertible route the Z3M roadster is about $7-8k cheaper than the coupe. I know all too well what 25k can BUILD. Yes, I can build an awesome car with that money. The key is, I don't have the time to do it. In a few years I can re-address that need with a suitable project. Until then, I want something to actually drive. ;)

The stock Mark IV Supra chassis has also proven an effective platform for road racing, with several top 20 and top 10 One Lap Of America finishes in the SSGT1 class. Despite its curb weight, in 1994 the Mark IV managed a remarkable skidpad rating of 0.95 lateral g's (200 ft). The Z4 M Coupe manages 0.88 lateral g's. [/url]

The Mark IV Supra also featured a four-sensor four-channel track tuned ABS system with yaw control whereby each caliper is sensored and the brakes are controlled individually according to the speed, angle, and pitch of the approaching corner. This unique Formula One inspired braking system allowed the Supra Turbo to record a 70 mph (110 km/h) -0 braking distance of 149 feet (45 m), the best braking performance of any production car tested in 1997 by . The Z4 M Coupe manages to do it in 215 feet.

151ft for 70-0mph for the Z3 M coupe. Z3 M coupe is a distinctly different car than the Z4, more raw, louder, agressive, more car. As well, skidpad numbers tell about 10% of the handling story. Any car in race form has a good chance at out handling cars in street trim. In my mind the skidpad tests really only tells you what tires the new car comes with. ;)

I had an S2000 pre kid. It was an awesome car but needed BOOST. They respond well to supercharging (easier) and turbo's. But I to am not much of a convertible guy, I never really had the top down.

Check out this forum

http://www.s2ki.com/forums

But if I had to chose one from your list it'd be the 911, great racing support, classic lines, and they design the car for drivers like us.

I remember a "5th Gear" episode ('04-'07) on Speed Channel when they assembled a strong group of sports cars to find the one that stood out from the others on a road course. One that was fun, fast, balanced and predictable, with outstanding brakes and steering... Porsche Boxster.

Also, the editors of the Brit mag "Evo" last year picked the Boxster as their favourite all around ride.

And, if you got one, you wouldn't HAVE to wear a gold chain and get all uppity with us.

Steve

Pantera FTW! We have a car show monthly here in dallas and a couple always show up. I think you'd be hard pressed to a find a decent condition pantera for 25 though. Could be wrong. If you want to buy a delorean for 15 I'll charge 5 to install the flux capacitor/Mr. Fusion and we'll end this debate with 5k left over.

If it was me, I would buy a b5 Audi S4 and put a stage 3 kit on it, bigger turbos and coil-overs depending on how much I still had leftover after buying the car. Not the lightest, but would definately fill the daily driver bill, and have more than enough power. Not the best for auto-x, more of a road course style car that can rip down the 1/4 and keep up/walk away from more expensive cars.

But from the list, I would choose the NSX, always loved them. Might not be the most powerful, but they handle awesome, and pull decent times for being underpowered.

Edited by Hey_You