HybridZ

Effect of lowering car

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, ok, I'm a worm for having my terrible F-body oilpan hanging down like a pair of balls from a reciever hitch.....  I'm already spending over $100,000 Alabama dollars this year on this pool/garage project for the soul purpose of getting the Z out of my wife's garage, which of course is attached to my wife's house.  So I guess another $5000 on the Z is equally as justified.  But the drysump will have to wait until after I install a couple of lifts-this working on the ground is for the young kids.  After hours energy is the rate limiting factor.  How do some guys have energy for a drinkin' and womanizin'?

My stupid Arizona Zcar pan hangs below the cross member.  Dangerously close to the track in my opinion.  Meh...   Its taken a few hits already.

Lowering also moves weight around, no? 

I vote for slam.  Count your rotations and you can go right back to where you were.

I run the AZC oil pan on an IT car. For safety, I welded a steel angle on the cross member just in front of the oil pan hanging down. It was just about four inches long and I believe it was 1" angle just turned up like a "V". It will sacrifice itself before the oil pan.

Greg Ira

• 2 weeks later...

Most S30 folks run their cars too low for best handling.  As you lower the car you must increase spring rate and increase shock damping.

This is true, I'm wondering if my Eibach 250 lbs, at all corners on the EMI coilovers will be enough to keep a lower ride height (slight rake) or need to raise it a bit. Will be testing my project soon at ACS and next yr Buttonwillow, WSIR. It's damped by Tokico Illuminas.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting at 1/2 inch lower front (rake) with the MSA dam and BRE rear spoiler. We'll see how this works out, if I need more wing and/or splitter. ACS will be a nice track to test aero/downforce (145+ front straight in M3).  Report back soon.....