HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

$1.15 on highway 99 down in newberg, oregon. for some reason, the night my best friend and i went down to pick it up, there were like three tiburons that kept f*cking with us.

115 is an estimate based on rpm, since the speedo on the 280zxt only hits 85 mph.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

n23206849_32373748_972.jpg

its been a lot higher---this was on an open stretch of I75 N up near Tenn. border :-)

felt nice and stable to be honest---didnt scare me a bit

Let's say 129 MPH and 4100 RPM. Get it up to six grand and you've got 188 MPH.

You da man!

Best -- Gary

I have hit 125 "dusting off" the cobwebs on the freeway a few times. I think the speedo is off though. I need to get a new one, the current (orig.) is really bouncing around quiet a bit.....

your speedo bouncing around like that is probably a sign that either your speedo cable needs a good lube and clean or it's on the way out. pretty easy to disconnect it at the tranny, pull the inner cable out then clean and either oil or grease. i did this and it cured my needle bouncing problem-had a section of the cable that was getting rusty so i soaked that innner drive cable in some oil for a bit just to be sure it penetrated, then put a thin coat of grease on it and reinstalled.

141mph.

240z, L24et, 10psi, 8.9:1 CR, pig rich and 22* spark timing.

215-60-14's, ZX 5 speed, 3.364:1 R180, 6600rpm in 4th gear. Still pulling slightly, but ran out of straight. Maybe would have hit 145 tops.

No aero mods whatsoever, car felt fine to me, no vibrations, not an uncomfortable amount of lift or anything.

6500 RPMs in 4th on a stock dead suspension Z with a stock 4 speed with 1:1 4th and 3.54 rear end. Tires were 215/60R14.

Calculates to around $1.35

speedo said $1.55

After a couple of miles something weird was going on and when I would gas it the engine would feel like it shut off and lose all power until I let off a bit on the gas. Maybe I was using more fuel than the two low pressure fuel pumps could provide with SU's?

It had nothing left in the motor to pull more...

After a couple of miles something weird was going on and when I would gas it the engine would feel like it shut off and lose all power until I let off a bit on the gas.

I believe there was a thread about staying at WOT for extended periods. It concluded that it wasnt good. Maybe something related to this...

Tony! Tony! Damn it! Where is he when you need him?

Here I am, 4 years later, late but with interesting numbers nonetheless:

As verified by the SCTA at Bonneville:

167.158 F/PRO

172.121 F/GCC

173.325 F/GALT

173.059 F/FALT--fuel used was GASOLINE (yeah, you can do that!)

We had F/FCC as well, at a comfortable margin above 170, but were protested and got the record pulled...

Most of these same records are ours at El Mirage and Muroc Dry Lakes as well, though with only about a mile to get to speed, they are around 10-15mph less. These are two-way averages, and in some cases the one-way speed may be considerably higher due to a tailwind, or mechanical distress on the return run... El Mirage and Muroc are one-way dashes, like Maxton's Monster Mile. I have watched events there a couple of times (try to schedule my training at corporate to coincide with the events during the summer--training is in Davidson, north of Charlotte.)

Interestingly enough after all the dustup, we now may be able to run the 2+2 in "GT" class now, and take that as well...

As for photos of Z-Speedos, they are notoriously innaccurate. A Z with stock sized tires will run 4750 in fifth with a 3.7 rear gear and late ZX five speed (stock L26) which equates to 125 mph. The same car with a 3.9 and an early five speed will top out at 5300 (stock L28...er, towing a small trailer...) which equates to around 120 mph. The car photographed at "130" with a late ZX five speed, stock sized tires, and a 3.36 rear gear, in fifth gear (the best scenario possible) 4100 rpms equates to 124mph... Hmmmmm:iospalo:

something weird was going on and when I would gas it the engine would feel like it shut off and lose all power until I let off a bit on the gas.

Something similar happens in my wife's 260Z, WOT and it will hit a wall hard, but feather the throttle back slightly and it will pull further till you get the normal 'fuel is running out of the float bowls faster than it can enter' surging.

Unless you got a very capable e-pump capable of forcing 7+ psi through the float bowl needles on the SU's (like the stock mechanical pump does at higher speeds) the float level will change and you start to run lean on SU's on the top end. I haven't solved that...oh, waitaminit, yes I did, I went to EFI! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I digress, forgive me for being off topic, 'back to your regularly scheduled programming'...besides it was Coffee's fault I'm in this thread, if I misbehave, blame him!:D

Ok I have no speedo. All I can say it was TOO fast for the car and it was still pulling hard. 327 SBC/7000 redline-hp unknown, T-56, sixth gear, 5700+ rpms, 225/45/17, R200 ratio unknown. I don't think it could redline top gear, and it shoudn't anyways, but this car is very capable of doing 150 mph.

Ok I have no speedo. All I can say it was TOO fast for the car and it was still pulling hard. 327 SBC/7000 redline-hp unknown, T-56, sixth gear, 5700+ rpms, 225/45/17, R200 ratio unknown. I don't think it could redline top gear, and it shoudn't anyways, but this car is very capable of doing 150 mph.

Graph.jpg

5700 rpm, 4.11 gears, T-56 6th gear, 225/45/17 = 200+ mph.......

weird. my speedo is perfectly accurate and i don't have stock tires.

I took my car up to 115 on the speedo (a little over actually) in 4th gear at about 5300rpm in 4th gear. I punched in all the numbers on a speed calculator and it puts me at 117mph at 5300rpm in 4th gear.

I run 225/70/14 on my car haha.

and it was still pulling pretty damn hard too imo. Got up there REALLY fast.

btw, it was also running with crappy injectors that have been causing it to fail miserably with emissions, so i had to compensate the crappy mr2 afm by making the spring really tight. didn't run lean though. but it ran really rich at idle. I think now it should be better though (new injectors a proper 78 afm)

I needa give the shop a call and see if it passed.

Maybe Harumi really does only have 166k on her. I should compression check her when i get her back haha. (what's the maximum pressure i should see on a stock L28? n47 head with dished pistons on a 78)

Graph.jpg

5700 rpm, 4.11 gears, T-56 6th gear, 225/45/17 = 200+ mph.......

Mopar, Cool info. Thanks!

But 200mph? (i wish) hahaha. We all know that is NO WAY even close to possible or a reality! Total pipe dream for ANY stock bodied Z. I will have to try again, this spring, paying more attention.

And yes, for safety sake, it will be done on public roads.

Hmmmm.... There is a large gap from a missing bridge in I-35W now....

Maybe I can clear it....

105 in a 99 Rav4.

35 in the Z. :(

I'm in the same boat, I did 125 in my '95 golf but only 115 in my Z :(

Hmmmm.... There is a large gap from a missing bridge in I-35W now....

Maybe I can clear it....

The boys of Ramsey county...

lmao...

Someday the mountain might get 'em but the law never wiiiilll