HybridZ

List your dumbest auto related screw up

Workinprogress

When I was 18, I owned a 1982 280zn/a. She was my pride and joy. I had bought her from a little mom and pop sales lot in Houston for $1,000. She had a fresh black paint job over the extensive body rust. T-tops(one was cracked), tan leather interior(cracked and torn to hell). She had a 2.8 ltr with a 5 speed trans. And to the point. One day I was driving down the road and all of a sudden she died on me. Without warning, no big boom or anything. Just quiet. After a few months of sitting at my grandparents house and me about ready to give up. :x I went out one last time just to go through a basic set of rules about engine performance. You know, Air,fuel, and fire. Suck,squeeze,bang,blow. Then i went through the car as a whole. Is it getting air, yes. Is it getting fuel? yes. What about spark? yes. So, what was my problem? I just started to play with things. wires, hoses, belts, ................... damm, did i feel stupid, i didnt have a alternator belt. Went to the store, paid my five bucks or so. Went back and installed it. jump started the very dead battery. she started right up and purred like a kitten. After that. I always checked my belts.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a good one...just finished putting it back together. Fresh $10K roller motor in the Z, drove it around at the shop a little bit and the remote filter adapter was leaking a little oil through a gouge in the gasket surface. So I order up a new one, swap the lines and fitting over, putting them in the same location that they were on the old one, did a bunch of other work over the next couple of days, then fired it up to take it for a spin. I failed to look at the oil pressure gauge (which I always do on startup) and took it around the block, only noticing the lack of oil pressure when I got back to the house. Crap, wiped out the rod bearings and put a little bit of wear into the mains. Crank shows a little scratching but nothing major. I just finished re-bearing-ing the motor....and hooking the lines up right. God I felt like an idiot.

Got two of them for you. One is mine and another is a good friend of mine working in a garage.

When I was in high school rebuilding a lawn mower engine in Agg shop. I forgot to tighten the head bolts. My teacher tried to start up to motor and it started shooting fire out the sides. Scared the heck out of him and man was he pissed at me.

The other one was my friend who was listening to a complaint from an old lady who said that her car was not running very well. It had very little horsepower and the engine would not rev up. He asked her how often she changed the oil. She said that she was very careful to make sure that she added a qrt every week. WOW.

While I was working at PepBoys a few years ago, this guy had his non-running Monte Carlo towed to the shop. He then decides he didn't want to pay for a no-start diagnostic, $50.00 at the time. We watched the guy cuss and fuss for almost a week trying to get it started. He changes the dizzy, plugs, wires, goes thru the carb, fuel pump, etc. I asked him more than once , "are you sure you are getting fuel?" "oh, it has plenty" the guy says.

Come to find out, the car was out of gas the whole time!

I once replaced an egnine in a laser because it was knocking only to find out that the new engine had the same knock because it was a torque converter bolt hitting on the bent dust cover.

I put a rag in the air pipe to prevent dust and particles from getting in while in storage, then went ahead and started up the engine, the rag got hung up lucklily and didn't make it all the way tothe turbo.

I still think the funniest is when I took the spare tire out of my trunk on 66 impala SS, just so I could get some other stuff out of the trunk. I conveniently stood it up against the back bumper. Then for whatever reason hopped in to move the car, started backing up in the usual fast manner, and said WTF was that. Got out to inpsect and guess what, back the diff pumpkin right into the center of the rim. High centered the car perfectly.

Then if that wasn't bad enough I put it in gear and sarted shoving boards under the tires, that was a long time ago....

Speaking of being out of gas. In 1965 I bought my first new car, a Sunbeam Tiger. Anyone who has owned a British car know they can be a bit problematic, especially with anything electrical. This car had an SU electric fuel pump that was very temperamental, it even caused an engine fire once. One day my roommate and I got in the Tiger fired it up and got about 100 yards, it died and would not start. We checked everything and decided the engine wasn't getting fuel. Since I had issues with the fuel pump before we concluded it was not working. W pulled off the output hose and sure enough nothing came out when I turned on the ignition. So in the middle of a shopping center we decided to take the pump apart and "fix" it. Of course we found nothing wrong and it took many attempts to get it back together. Then I looked at the fuel gauge…oh yeah we were out of gas. We pushed it to a gas station, not very far, and filled the tank. Even before I tried to start it gas was pouring out of the fuel pump! The gas station owner told us to push the car out of the station before we all got blown up. It took about three attempts before we finally got the pump sealed. I took it back to the dealer the next day telling them the pump had just started leaking for no reason…hey I was young and broke and the car was still in warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

couple years ago, 14 at the time, had a datsun 210 as an autox car(always been a datsun guy), ran it hard alot, lotsa drifting too. this was right b4 winter, couldnt wait for the snow on the ground. Was preparing the car for winter. Jst got done running it real hard for some reason cant remeber wat i was doin, ne way, jst got done runnin it real hard, parked, shut it off rite away, drained all the hot coolent, filled it with nice cold antifreez, went inside got a drink went back out started it up, and ran...hard..again....lil while later...cracked block. lol

I’ve got a few….

I was raised around air-cooled Porsche’s and VW’s so it was only natural that my 1st car was a Type 1. Thankfully, these cars are rather forgiving with some of this stuff.

About 1 week after purchasing my first VW Bug (1967), I bought a used 1.6L Dual Port for a performance rebuild. I had the engine on the engine stand and was torquing the case back together. It was summer and I was wearing shorts (i.e. improper car working attire) when the whole engine with stand began to fall. I was soon to learn first-hand what it meant to buy a chincy engine stand. The whole setup wasn’t very heavy per se, as the case is magnesium afterall, but it does have these rather long cylinder studs sticking out of it which I found can cut your leg up pretty good. The cuts were bad enough to land me in the hospital. I still have the scars as a reminder today.

Now on my 3rd VW Bug (1954 Oval window), I was building a 2180cc monster engine. I had actually gotten pretty good at all this by then and was moonlighting by fixing neighboring VWs. As part of the restoration for the car, I also replaced the wiring and upgraded it to 12V (stock is 6V). This requires new bulbs, motors such as wiper and starter and of course a new alternator. Once I finally had everything hooked up and Ohm’d out (or so I thought) I tried turning her over. Much to my delight, everything was working and I let it idle for 5min while I performed a perimeter check to make sure nothing was leaking and all was working as expected. Confident that I had achieved greatness, I decided to take my new machine on her maiden voyage. This was a 1.5 year project so this was a big deal. I was living with my parents at the time and our house was located ~1/2 mile from a freeway overpass. As part of my test drive, I decided to head over the pass and then turn around and head back. A few moments later I realized that I should have turned around *before* the overpass, because once I had reached the crest and was on the downhill side, the engine died as did all the electrics. I was able to coast into a nearby parking lot and immediately began to diagnose my problem. Clearly something electrical, but what? After a good 30min of snooping I realized my problem. I had mis-wired my alternator. I was essentially running on battery power the entire time. The alternator is completely toast so jumping wouldn’t do me any good. I had towing available through AAA, but I didn’t want to waste it on a mere ½ mile home. My only problem was that home was on the other side of this overpass. Maybe it was because I was young & dumb, but I decided to try and push the car back over the hill. I figured it would take some work, but I would be rewarded with a nice coast down the other side. Besides, this is an old VW bug they only weigh ~1600lbs. I had kept my trusty wheel chock (i.e. brick) in the car with me so I proceeded to roll down the window and push, throwing the brick under the front tire every few feet to keep from rolling back. Much to my frustration many people walked by, but no one offered to help. In the end, I did manage to get to the top and eventually had the car back home. This took almost 2 hours. I doubt I could remotely attempt this today.

During college, I rented a room from a family and had to do an oil change on my 1991 Honda Civic. Anyone that has worked on these cars knows how much of a PITA it is to get the oil filter changed with the car on the ground. It’s directly beneath the intake manifold and takes the abilities of a contortionist to access. After successfully changing out the filter, I was greeted by a huge puddle of fresh oil on the ground. Upon disassembly for the 2nd time I realized the seal from the 1st oil filter was stuck to the block and when I threaded on the new one, it made for a nice gap. I always checked for oil filter seals after that. Since this car was my only transport, I was hoofing it back to the auto parts store for a new filter and new oil.

Other than that, no major screwups. Thankfully I have been pretty much mishap free with the Datsun. Lets hope this trend continues.

Guest AFSil80

I'd have to say that my dumbest automotive screw up was letting a friend install a new 4.3L Vortec motor in my 4WD S-10 while I was overseas. 2 months after I get back, I left an oil slick about 3 ft across at the main gate on base. That was almost 2 years ago. I still own the truck, but it's rotting away on the storage lot.

As far as my Nissans go (I've owned 3 240SX's, my DD is a well abused S12 turbo), the only real foul up was my current S13. It has 220k miles on the clock (straight frame, zero damage or rust but it's still getting work done), and sure enough, the KA24E had enough one day and decided to let loose. I'm assuming it's the head gasket but since the motor is out of the car (and not going back in) I could care less what killed it.

I was 17 living with my dad at the time, my witer beater for the year wasn't starting. so to find out if it was the starter or the ignition switch. I turned the key to run and prociede to jumper the starter with a screwdriver. well it started to bad i left it in revease (auto) it then bashes my dades garage door out a foot and half. I had to work soon so I did my best to bend it back and make it look like nothing happened. 5 years later i was up at my dads house visting we were in the garge b.s. ing. and he says "why is the light coming through between my garge door panels". "oh that I said uhhhh...." and the rest is history.

driving folleys-

16 (had brighter years) they ahd just installed a round about in our small town, and i though to my self I'm gonna drift that.

well it was a year later Ihad a z31 and I did well sorta. I made it 270 * around and then sand and gravel came into play. out went the back the whole pass side of the car went up onto the curb. But not be fore making a loud thunk.

Ok i'll just drive away I thought... wrong.

start the car let out the clutch ... snub ..... okkkk

try again let it out .... snub.... wtf.

get out look .... ahhh #$^&

wheel is cocked at a 45 arm is cracked stub axel snaped or bent.

next thing i know a cop is shinning me saying what happened.

"AHHHH........ " completely dumbfounded

I fese up, he laughes at me, calls the tow truck. tow truck comes and the wheel lift won't go narrow enough. calls a flatbed. flatbed comes picks it up. at this point i relieze i forgot my walet. the took truck takes the car, I walk a mile home and get a ride and get my car out of hoak in the mourning.

to this day I have not drifted another corner.

hell i barely do the speed limit, even in my Z's

Gosh, where to start....

16 years old, took apart the carb on my parent's car - one that I drove all the time. Put it back together but couldn't get it to start, was up till like 1am twiddling before I found the part I'd put in backwards. Why stupid? My parents had taken THEIR car in for service and we had only just the one car and they sort of needed it to goto work and I only took the carb apart because I was curious :-)

Few years later, out tuning the timing on my 84 Mustang GT, doing it by ear like I'd read about.... Drive it, listen for knock under WOT, stop to advance distributor... Long about the 5th stop I dropped the hood thinking it was on the first latch. Hit the gas and as soon as I went WOT the hood flipped back :( Worse? A handful of years later I'm out in a different Mustang with a pair of turbos under the hood. I'd raced and had the car cooling in a parking lot sitting on TOP of the first latch in order to hold the hood open further but not show off the goodies. Things begin to get a little out of hand and I decide to leave following a friend. I decide to take it easy so I don't stomp on the gas or anything. I think I got up to at least 25+mph before I sort of "remembered" the hood as it flipped straight back - argh!

Best of all... Build a nice 351W for said Mustang, blower this time. Get it all together but I want a friend of mine to run the valves for me - expensive set of pro ported heads... He does one valve, does another, and then spins it over a little more only it comes to a hard stop and won't turn further.... Stumped he finally gives up and tells me "sumthin's hosed". I come home, look it over and pull a plug on a cylinder to see something odd.... Seems a pair of Fruit of the Looms has been left in a cylinder by your's truly - doh! Not wanting to pull it all apart again I get out a pair of forceps, slide them into the spark plug hole, grab hold, and pull - I get a tiny sliver of cotton. About 45mins later I have a pile of clippings and the motor turns freely. I damn near never heard the end of that one! At least I didn't have to pull it apart to get them out!

Oh I've made some tuning errors too... nothing like setting the boost cut below ambient or forgetting a zero when you set the rev limiter :D I could probably write a book on stupid tuning errors!

• 4 months later...

I remember this thread...Hehe, lots-o-fun.

I think my best one by far has to be replacing my head gasket three times.

First time, head warped.

Second time, the head I used, a PO put shorter valves in that wiped out my cam.

Third time, Realized after blowing number 5 seal that the head is an N42 on an F54 N/A block. Compression ratio that would require more work...

Last week, setting the Z on it's tires from a LONG time sitting on wheel dollies. I forgot how low the Z sits w/ the frame connectors and can't use the Jack pad insert (the white thing that spins and usually sits on the frame when you use a HF floor jack) So I pull it off and just slide the jack back under the car, didn't look to make SURE i had the pad on the frame, started lifter her up, and up and up and SLAM! Jack slid off the frame and landed right in the middle of my new floor pan! I used .062 sheet, i think that helped a bit, it only put about a 2 inch Jack Pad Shaped bulge in it, and my welds dindn't tear at the seam! So I was actually stoked about that :) Little hammer and dolly work and she'll be ok....

SIGH!

This was a good read. Heck, if you do anything long enough there will be mistakes along the way.

Many years ago my brother n law, sister meet me at work w/Dad driving. This is unusual as my brother n law and sister were suppose to be visiting Mom/Dad who lived about 100 miles away.

They all rush me telling me that my brother n law/sisters 76 442's engine's timing chain had jumped a few teeth and would not start. The engine turned over but wouldnt start. So we rush around bying parts from three different parts stores. One store had the chain but not steel timing gears. The next store had steel timing gears but not the gasket kit.

Keep in mind, they picked me up at work after I got off work (late in the day). They were rushing me because THEY had to go to work the next day.., as if I didnt. After getting all the parts and rushing to Dad's where the car was last parked..., in all the rushing I forgot to pick up my tools before we headed to Dad's.

The unfortunate side to all this is that Dad's toolset basically included a monkey wrench and a 1/2" box wrench and a 9/16" box wrench w/a few mostly unuseable other box wrenches.

Forward this long story to make it longer; somewhere in the 2 to 3 am time frame I am finally finished w/this timing chain swap only to realize my non mechanical minded brother n law drained the battery dead trying to start the car. Had to then swap batteries from my car to my brother's car. Then while tightening the alternater belt w/a large crowbar....,

..., I, not realizing I was pulling the crowbar towards me - as the crowbar slips and hits me smack dab in the forehead WHACK! To add insult to injury I threw the crowbar as far as I could out of anger (folks lived in the country w/lots of trees and under brush) only to realize as I'm watching the crowbar disappear into the darkness - that the crowbar was not mine and that it was my Dad's and that I would have to find the crowbar before I left that morning.

I laugh about it now but it wasnt too funny having to rpl timing chain/gears w/only a monkey wrench and a few box wrenches.

Oh, yea; if anyone is wondering - you do see stars when you get hit in the head w/a blunt instrument..., just like in the cartoons.

Alls well that ends well as the 442 started on the first try.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

This little incident happened when i was 16. I was working on this 1950 chevy stepvan, and i was trying to get the motor running so i had to rig up a fuel pump to the carb, and the fuel pump was pumping gas from a one gallon container. I didn't check to see if the spark plug wires were cracked...and they were, and i also didn't check the old fuel line running on top of the engine to the filter to see if it was leaking....and it was. can anyone guess what happens next........... when i go to start the engine it runs for a few seconds and turns into a fireball i was so worried about getting the fire put out i forgt to disconnect the fuel pump which kept feeding the fire. i got the fire put out with only a few burnt wires, and i was not injured in this little incident.

You might be able to find this somewhere on this forum...

Was working on my car and notice some oil leaking from the engine (stock L28E) So I pulled this part off, cleaned it off, put some gasket maker on it and bolted it back up...

...turns out it was the oil pump. Engine didn't want to rev right after that and I drove it for a week like that because I didn't know any better and it still felt fine for the most part. Well I was also running without a fan and would just watch the temp normally. Well since this "fix" i performed it overheated a couple times BAD. Later the week the starter died.

Got a new starter, went to change it and had to pull the dipstick out of the way and "WHAT THE @#$^?!" coolant in my oil!!!!" was my exact language working on my car out on the street.

So it turns out I'd knocked the timing WAY off when I put the oil pump back in, and the overheating warped the head. Gasket was fine when I pulled the head off but one piston was obviously leaking.

So now I've got a turbo motor in the car (though not running yet). Quite an expensive mistake depending on how you look at it. In hindsight I only had $700 max invested in the vehicle. I should have parted it out and bought either a 240Z or a 280ZXT. Would have saved me time AND money. Oh well.

Along the lines of Blkmagik's Fruit of the Loom story.

Again w/my Brother n law's 442. This time he and my sister had moved to OKC, OK. During one of their hard winters my Brother n law, evidently doing to much stop light drag racing, blows a head gasket.

So he calls me in D/FW for advice. I tell him this is a perfect time to upgrade a little w/an Edelbrock Intake, shave the cylinder heads - to which he agrees.

My first trip from D/FW to OKC was to pull everything apart and insruct him on what to tell the machine shop. The second trip was suppose to get everything back together - yet, my Brother n law decided he wanted to do one cylinder head while I did the other side; I thought why not - maybe if he learned something he would quit calling me when his car broke down.

Remember, each time I'm workng on his car, it is in his friend's garage during very cold weather. Finally, we get to the point where he is finally done and only has to put his spark plugs in - to which he tells me he cant get the spark plug threads to take(?). I tell him he's crazy and to just put the spark plugs in; and he tells me if I can do a better job to do so.

As I took a look at the spark plug holes I could see red. Literally the color red was inside the spark plug holes.

Turns out, upon my Brother n Law having finished scraping the gasket off his cylinder bank - he forgot to take the red shop rags out of all 4 cylinders. I tried pulling them out w/needle nose pliers - but the shop rags are to tough and dont rip. This required me having to make a third trip from D/FW to OKC to get him back on the road.

Those were some really cold weekends. I havent thought of that event since then....this thread is bringing back some good "live and learn" memories.

After we finally got the engine finished - the car would get a pretty good 3rd gear scratch.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)