HybridZ

Mustang in Japan...not a V-8 under the hood

S30TRBO

I want to clarify something here in my above post. I am NOT knocking that swap or the fact that someone put a RB26 into an older Mustang. As JamieT stated, that mustang isn't that rare...Not in the least. Check ebay, they are everywhere. However, When someone makes the kind of comment that I quoted in my post, THAT draws fire.

I'm in 110% agreement with these latest comments about the double standard. But some here have made negative comments about honda swaps, and those kids will argue all day long that they are on the cutting edge of the custom car scene, and I believe some of them are right.

From a personal standpoint, for anyone to transplant a motor from maker A into Car manufactured from Company X is pretty cool. Some of you may know of Sean Corb from the GRM Challenge. He's running a complete Supra suspension and drivetrain in his 65 Mustang. That is just plain cool... Same with stuff an RB26 into that Mustang... I see no difference than the RB26/240SX swap my oldest stepson is in the middle of right now.

If you don't "get it", then you're not a true car guy. You're as pure as the deepest "pursist on the planet". :toetap05:

Mike :cool:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think It's cool as hell. :cheers: I kinda thought there would be more room in there for it though.
It actually fits the engine bay very well! Like it was destined to be! :-D

think they did this swap simply to piss off domestic guys and make ricers happy.
It wasn't done to piss anyone off (although it has :rolleyes: ). It was done for a movie and there is a viable story behind WHY it was done.

A quick story:

My grandfather has an old '30 Model A (Chopped, leaded, etc...). He's 74 years old and decided speed was not his concern (come one... he listens to Willy Nelson.) so he put an 80's Ford V-6 in it. 4 years he spent building that car... and he did it all himself (which is a rarity anymore :rolleyes: )... including the interior . When he has the car at shows does he get any praise for any of the custom work, flawless paint job, home made wood trim, etc...? Rarely... most of the time he is bombarded with the stupid MF's who can see nothing beyond the V-6. These are the people who don't own a car (and likely never will), can't build a car, could not afford to have a car built and are imbued with no character or creativity whatsoever.

Last week my gramp mentioned to me that we should put my spare RB in the A to really piss them off!

:shock: Right on gramp! Let's hear 'em howl!

"My money... My time... My car... piss off!"

"My money... My time... My car... piss off!" THAT should be anyone's mantra. Bottom line is, until someone else pays me to build it their way, I'm building it MY WAY, And all of you should too (Your own way, of course!) ! :2thumbs:

Mike

I think they did this swap simply to piss off domestic guys and make ricers happy...
You're half right...maybe this swap was done to piss off both the domestic guys and the "ricers". In fact it pisses off a lot of people (as evidenced by this thread), and that is part of what makes this car cool to me.

I made my car the way I like it, but as an added benefit I piss people off too. Some American Muscle guys don't like that I stuck a muscle car engine in my jap car, and japanese car purists don't like that I stuck a V8 in a Z. Somewhere in the middle, most people just think it's cool.

Last week my gramp mentioned to me that we should put my spare RB in the A to really piss them off!

:shock: Right on gramp! Let's hear 'em howl!

from what I've heard from friends of mine there is a SR20DET in a model A somewhere in the state of texas....how cool is that?! high tech with vintage design!

Hmmm..... I've always liked the 32 Roadster Coddington kits... An SR20DET would be the POOP in that little car... They weigh so little without the running gear in them! :2thumbs:

Imagine that with a corvette suspension hung off it! :shock:

Mike :cool:

Well I've had some time to calm down from my initial reaction. SInce the car isn't a Shelby I'll get over it. It a cool idea, and the RB makes great power. But I still think the sound will be all wrong for that car. And since it won't make the car anymore nimble why do it? It doesn't look like a 800hp RB in the pic, but it's only a pic. The only way I can see this swap making sense is if it is a MEGA powered RB.

WOW!, I had no Idea that this swap would upset people all over the internet. I guess I'll be talking to Jon tonight and see if he wants to pull the Mustang from the back pasture, sell the S15 and move forward with the 26 into '67 Stang swap.

But then again, I don't know how many times I can tolerate "Hey, that's just like that car in F&F".

At least Hybrid Z moderators allow this sort of discussion.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=149893

I think the Mustang setup is cool and ingenious. In the 60's my father put a 409 into a 58 Corvette. He has done numerous other swaps no one would ever expect.

You know.... as much as this topic has kinda seperated some of us, it's amazing how well we all take it compared to these other boards.

Most of the people here at least appreciate it on some leve. Most of the people so far that don't like it just state "they're prefference" not like "gosh whoever did that should burn at the stake".

I love it here.

Not to be the devils advocate, but think you guys are to emotionally involved in this, a mustang especially a fastback is an American Icon, and they mutilated it with some jap engine…. It comes of in opinions as about the same as bluntly put a transsexual… it just isn’t done.. (ok ok that is an image that really does make me sick)

To me a foreigner .. I see a mustang with a RB, agreed it looks awkward to see such a designed looking engine under the hood of a lo tech car … but that is about it… I think it is cool… now if it could only make a turn ..

hmmm lets build a vette with a rotation engine !!

Guest JAMIE T

That is a healthy sized Turbonetics turbo hung off the side of it. The engine is probably a solid 600 RWHP. Just a guess since I have no tech sheet on the engine.

I bet it would be faster then most other street cars. even a non prepped rb26 with that big of a turbo is good for 500+rwhp and 400+ ftlbs of torque.

I will say.... there are cars that are offlimits to swaps other then original, Cars like a yenko or any other very low production car. but in something like that stang..... if it makes it go fast im all for it. In fact im for anything that makes any kind of car go faster. weather it be its original engine or a transplanted.