HybridZ

A Stunningly Well Executed Track Z Car

jt1

A track day this weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park was the shakedown trip for board member Mayolives's (Tom) recently completed track car "Redbird". Redbird is the result of over three years work by Tom, with a ton of help from Roddy and Mark at RTR Motorsports. The planning, execution, and attention to detail really make this car a masterpiece. RTR's custom fabrication of a lot of components is simply mind blowing. Tom has kept me updated on the buildup, but seeing the sum of all the parts was much greater than the pieces. The car is a turbo L28 with electramotive EFI, crank trigger ignition, water cooled turbo, caterpillar sized intercooler, Arizona Z suspension & brakes, and a whole lot more. Tom has spent a lot of time and a few $$$ on this beauty, and it shows.

It was a bright sunny day and the shadows are a little harsh, but you'll get the idea. Please disregard slower cars in the background.

pic_013s1.jpg

pic_005s.jpg

pic_004s.jpg

pic_007s1.jpg

pic_006s.jpg

John

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!! THat is one sweet car. I'm motivated to get mine going again. How did that slow looking porsche in the back ground do? Does Tom want to bring redbird out on 9/11 to play? If so, I think we can swing it. Let me know.

Awesome car.

The slow looking Porsche is, in fact, slow.

Well not really, just compared to what I'm used to. It's on Falken street tires, so no really fast laps. It's well setup by PO, turns in nicely, and you can put the tail wherever you want it with the gas. It took me a little while to get used to the pedals and shifter, and it has the famous 930 turbo lag, which was frustrating at times. Overall I was pretty pleased, but I really want a car like Tom's with my motor in it.

I'll check with Tom on the 11th.

Olie, the dash is just one of the super details on this car. My crappy pics don't do it justice.

John

Ok Tom.... you've been "outed". You obviously have been humbly hiding this beautiful car for the world to see. The car is stunning.

I can't see the rear of the car that well in the picture but do you actually have a functional air diffuser behind the gas tank? :shock:

I remember your thread on your Greddy Profec B boost controller. What kind of HP and torque did you make on the dyno with the GT35R?

... My crappy pics don't do it justice.

John

Do you happen to have anymore crappy pics youd like to share?

that Z is sick, stunning, well thought out and to the point. Well done Tom!

EDIT/Addition...

I have been thinking about strut bar designs lately, wondering what my best course of action is and I believe I just found it.

AWESOME! I love the addition of quick releases, very nice.

Looks pretty damn sweet to me. Sounds like there was no step-by-step on this one. I'd be curious to see what kind of difference if any was felt by adding the splitter, or the diffuser, or the X in between the engine and the radiator.

I see so many ideas that I've tossed around in my own head implemented there... wow. :2thumbs:

Looks pretty damn sweet to me. Sounds like there was no step-by-step on this one. I'd be curious to see what kind of difference if any was felt by adding the splitter' date=' or the diffuser, or the X in between the engine and the radiator.

I see so many ideas that I've tossed around in my own head implemented there... wow. :2thumbs:[/quote']

I second that. The splitter and Type II airdam *ARGG!* my idea has been completed by someone else. Hrm, at least it looks as good as I thought it would :mrgreen:

Beautiful work and execution!!

Davy

Wow totally totally sweet Z love it and the stance is all attitude.. love how clean and the fabrication on it.

What turbo is on it and also the IC specs? Any estimate on the HP?

As for the 911 Turbo Slope Nose in the back ground, yes they are laggy but if its stock it is running the VERY old (this 30year old design) antique 3LDZ KKK Turbo - 282hp stock. A fairly quick change to the newer KKK K27 turbo, 3" muffler and B&B headers and change the wastegate spring to 1bar and 420ish hp is now at your finger tips...trust me it transforms these cars and they come alive very quick.

If its a factory slope nose it worth an easy $50K

Cool pics.

Yasin

Just a few days ago I finished modifying my radiator to mount at the same angle as in the pictures of Toms car. I was trying to decide how I was going to lay out the aluminum to box in the radiator... well now I have my answer. That is absolutely gorgous and I am one of the people who would like to see some more pictures of the car and in particular how the radiator is mounted and how the aluminum is attached etc.

Dragonfly

Looks pretty damn sweet to me. Sounds like there was no step-by-step on this one. I'd be curious to see what kind of difference if any was felt by adding the splitter' date=' or the diffuser, or the X in between the engine and the radiator.

I see so many ideas that I've tossed around in my own head implemented there... wow. :2thumbs:[/quote']

I have been examining the pictures to the best of my ability and it appears to me that the X in between the engine and the radiator is the new support to box the engine compartment because the original beam that supported that function and the radiator in its stock position does not appear to be there.

Dragonfly

A small correction and some info on Red Bird.Speed Design Inc. was enlisted to help "Turbo"Tom build the car.The turbo is a GT35R.As a 100% track car,the stock gas tank has been ditched in favor of a stainless steel fuelcellcontaining an ATL bladder.The diffuser should provide much better control of the airflow exiting the rear of the car.As for downforce;who knows.We'll post some answers after the wind tunnel.HaHa!The engine dynoed well over 400RWHP,but we ran out of injector.Tom plans to push the HP limits later on down the road.Right now he wants to get Red on track and have some fun.The radiator and intercooler are able to be mounted at that angle because the entire stock radiator support has been removed and replaced with ......uh.... other stuff.The cage is TIG welded chromemoly.Of course the hood is carbon fiber.It was built by brothers Shawn and Drew Ulrich of the Speed Design Inc.composite shop.Yee Haa!