HybridZ

Explain your screen name choice

alexideways

It's what I used to do for a living (industrial piping) now I am an estimator in the same field. I used to fly a Piper Warrior also. My pager code in high school was 5177 and stood for Superman...used to lift a lot of weights but now I am just you average everyday couch potato. I'll make it back to the gym eventually but the kid and work have me too damn busy!

I know it probably sounds corny, but I used to play pool AL THE TIME and I got REALLÃ good at it. I used to make up a new screen name every time I played online (when I couldn't get to a real table) simply because I never remembered my old ones. one day my cousin was around and I couldn't think up a name and I had told him that I usually just blow through people, and he suggested typhoonplayer, well that was taken so I used typhooneplayer, and now I use typhoone for every board, messenger, and email that I have. I am thinking about getting it as a vanity plate when I get this nezt Z, either that or ''KEEPUP'' lol

Some of you guys have me laughing out loud because of the funny stories behind your names. I couldn't think of **** when I wanted to come aboard, so I just went with a variation of my first name, David, and what car I love the most, my Z. "DaveyZ" looked to darn weird to me, so DavyZ it was! Funny thing is, in my "car circle" of friends, most call me "Davy," but no one outside of it ever calls me that :D

Davy

I'll weigh in on this one (with pictures and all!): As some of you may or may not be aware, I've seen a few cartoons in my day. My favorite growing up was Robotech (not transformers, contrary to popular belief). The premise behind that show was that a space ship crash lands on earth and humans reverse engineer the technology. There is a race of alien invaders (called Zentraedi-I think there is a race team in Cali that has taken that name, much like the Autobots car club and the Decepticons street gang) who are 50 feet tall, so in classic cartoon fashion, the humans (called micronians by the Zentraedi) make their fighter planes able to transform into giant robots in case they need to fight hand to hand. These fighters were called "Veritechs", and had three modes: fighter, guardian (the form in my sig pic), and battleoid. My favorite character was always Max Sterling, since he was an unassuming guy, kind of nerdy, but he was hands down the best pilot in the whole Robotech Defense Force. Plus, my name is Max, and I'm kind of nerdy and unassuming, but I haven't figured out what I'm hands down the best at (except maybe Street Fighter II, I'm pretty good at that...maybe NES tetris too)...that's my avatar pic though, if anybody was wondering who that was. Anyway, the Z part comes from the fact that when I first got my current 280, I painted it like the Skull One Veritech from the show. It's been like 3 other colors since then, but it's all good.

veritech-3.jpg

Here is a detail of my car with that paint job.

I'll weigh in on this one (with pictures and all!): As some of you may or may not be aware, I've seen a few cartoons in my day. My favorite growing up was Robotech (not transformers, contrary to popular belief). The premise behind that show was that a space ship crash lands on earth and humans reverse engineer the technology. There is a race of alien invaders (called Zentraedi-I think there is a race team in Cali that has taken that name, much like the Autobots car club and the Decepticons street gang) who are 50 feet tall, so in classic cartoon fashion, the humans (called micronians by the Zentraedi) make their fighter planes able to transform into giant robots in case they need to fight hand to hand. These fighters were called "Veritechs", and had three modes: fighter, guardian (the form in my sig pic), and battleoid. My favorite character was always Max Sterling, since he was an unassuming guy, kind of nerdy, but he was hands down the best pilot in the whole Robotech Defense Force. Plus, my name is Max, and I'm kind of nerdy and unassuming, but I haven't figured out what I'm hands down the best at (except maybe Street Fighter II, I'm pretty good at that...maybe NES tetris too)...that's my avatar pic though, if anybody was wondering who that was. Anyway, the Z part comes from the fact that when I first got my current 280, I painted it like the Skull One Veritech from the show. It's been like 3 other colors since then, but it's all good.

Here is a detail of my car with that paint job.

I'm with you on that, I have almost all of robotech on DVD in my living room

It's totally an 80's love triangle/soap opera with Giant people and planes that turn into robots! Cant beat that!

Everytime my girlfriend gets on AIM I have a sound clip from robotech that comes on:

Rick:"Now I can save her with this magic bicycle!"

Voice over Radio: "Attention, Corpral Rick Hunter was shot down this morning while attempting to fly a bicycle."

"t" = first name Tyson

"freer" = last name Freer...

"85" = the year I was born.

Pretty simple, and I use it on everyboard that I've ever joined. Allows you to go from one board to the next and have people recognize it. Though I have become found of "LSX_S30" because I'm building an LS1 powered S30..

Tyson

SteelToad: I was walking through Walmart in the shoe department desparately trying to think of a unique name for my business (software development) I decided to close my eyes, walk, open them, and the first thing I saw would be my inspiration... It was a pair of steel toed boots.

When I was in 6th grade I played a lot of role playing games and online MUDs. For my first D&D game I ever played I made a mage character and called him Naviathan. No idea where the name came from, just popped in my head and I've used it for everything because it's unique. It's kind of odd now, here I am 14 years later and I still have the same screen name and explaining it to people gives me some odd looks.

Owned a 1966 289 HiPo in 1976 while in High school..

That little motor would chew up any new Trans Am, Firebird, Mustang that all of the jocks in school tooled around in. It was a spunky little bastard and the rear end was low for go. Sitting in the relatively light 66 Galaxie, and or course it was red, made it a light to light terror. Dozens of victims would stare into the engine bay with their mouths a gape in disbelief. "A 289"!

I loved that. Most would try to guess what was under the hood. "351"? "Ah.... 390"? Hell with the gearing I had this little turd would wax both thoes engines. Even in a galaxie. Done it many times.

I told myself years later after owning many muscle cars that if I ever got the chance to build a 289 HiPo, that I would give it everything possible, within the boundries of a solid tappet motor, that it coild get.

Next was finding a lightweight frame, also what the motor wanted, that if possible could hang a corner. Thats how I was introduced to the Z. An engine builder actually mentioned it and HybridZ to me. Started reading Hybrid Z and the rest is current history (in the making).

You see which comes first, the chicken or the egg? For me, I came to the beloved Z with a motor. Not the other way around. I love my Z and I haven't even driven yet. Yet..........