HybridZ

Driveway Paint Job

SuperDan

• Administrators

IMG_3107.JPG

Before being sprayed with epoxy primer.

IMG_3140.JPG

My buddy Marshall (a bodyman/painter by trade) in our "instant paint

booth" laying down 5 coats of PPG black base with lots of green and some blue pearl.

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG

3 coats of clear, still needs to be wet sanded to remove some of the little trash in the paint. After that we are going to blow 2 more coats of clear and color sand it.

Looks great Dan! It looks like your using a procedure similar to what I was thinking about using. Did you paint the door and hatch jambs at the same time?

I'm thinking about having the headlight buckets, hood, access panels and cowl removed - just like you did. Then I'm thinking of opening the doors and hatch when I start painting so I can hit the jambs first, then close them for the rest of the paint - then do the same for the clearcoat.

• Administrators

Thanks guys, yeah it came out really nice.

Man, thats one nice color. I love all the pearl. I am sure it really pops in the sun!

It does, and it has a lot flop also, goes from black to green to blue. Just depends on the light. Pictures don't do it justice.

It looks like your using a procedure similar to what I was thinking about using. Did you paint the door and hatch jambs at the same time?

We pulled the doors, hatch hood etc and painted / cleared them and the jams about a week before we did the car. Reinstalled just the doors and used a technique he called "masking a soft line" were the paint on the jams etc would need to be blended to the new paint we blew on the body. You cannot see were they merge together but if you run your finger over it you can barely feel the transition. That will be colored sanded out and you will never know that they were painted separately.

Those panels look FLAT. Nice work!

They are, my car was in good shape, no major damage, some wavy panels and just little dings that had to be pulled and some paint chips.

Still, we have about 80 hours in prep and paint on just what you see here.

But Dan, I didn't know you even had a Z :-)

It's just a rumor.

I'm getting ready to paint mine again with the good stuff. I need a paint booth like you made.

Harbor Freight is your Friend.

Got this on sale a while back for $129

92928.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92928

One 100 foot roll of 3 mil visquine, 2 rolls of duct tape, 1 soaker hose to keep the floor wet and you have one bitchen paint booth.

• Administrators
what did you use to spray the paint hvlp? looks great!

Here is a little secret.

94572.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94572

This setup works just as good as any "high end" paint gun. ;)

Just add a pressure regulator and water seperator and you are good to go.

Dan