Gauging interest in EDIS mounting parts

Derek

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 75 280z damper, does anyone know if it will fit the zx motor. I am not using the a/c, or power steering, only the alternator. if it fits then I could use the parts correct ?

From what I understand the answer is yes. The hub is the same and as long as it's from a 6 cyl and not a 4 cyl the harmonics should be the same.

Derek

I think they all interchange, Derek's is the first I have seen with opposite clocking. Is it possible to flip the mount to A/C compressor side ?? I haven't fully layed out that option, I was going to do all my machining myself before. Just a minor speed bump along the way.

I think they all interchange, Derek's is the first I have seen with opposite clocking. Is it possible to flip the mount to A/C compressor side ?? I haven't fully layed out that option, I was going to do all my machining myself before. Just a minor speed bump along the way.

The hole pattern on the timing cover is different from the passengers side so the sensor mount has to be mounted there. Mounting it on the drivers side would take a different mount bracket.

If you guy's would just go out and buy 73 model year cars this wouldn't be a problem.

C'mon work with me here

I think clint78z is correct. They will all physically fit on the engine but the v-groove positions and diameters are different. Actually I haven't verified the positions (fwd/aft) are different. I have four different dampers on hand. The one pictured above. I believe it is a ZX damper. The PS v-groove was probably removed. It was on my 240 when I purchased it. I have another that is very similar. I also have one off an 81 turbo which has a bolt-on CAS disk and power steering v-groove. That one is HUGE. Finally, I have one off a '78z that is very similar to the one Derek has but, as he mentioned the outer groove is wider making the depth of the hub deeper. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

I originally had the same 280Z damper from a 1975 280Z and while it is very similar to Derek's set up (that he based his design on) it will not work with his 36-1 wheel. The diameter of 36-1 wheel is about 1mm larger and it won't go into the damper center hole.

I went to the local yard and ran into a 1974 260Z, it had the timing marks on the drivers side just like Derek's and the damper also had a 1mm larger center diameter. I tried on the Derek's wheel and voila, perfect fit.

I finally got a new battery for my cam so I will post pictures and measurements comparing the two dampers in the next day or so.

I have a 75 280z damper, does anyone know if it will fit the zx motor. I am not using the a/c, or power steering, only the alternator. if it fits then I could use the parts correct ?

I'm thinking if I make the hubs to fit the 75-78. Which is the one rossman sent me then it will also fit the dampers like mine. This will become the standard adapter that will fit early (73-74??) and 75-78 2 groove dampers.

Derek

I originally had the same 280Z damper from a 1975 280Z and while it is very similar to Derek's set up (that he based his design on) it will not work with his 36-1 wheel. The diameter of 36-1 wheel is about 1mm larger and it won't go into the damper center hole.

I went to the local yard and ran into a 1974 260Z, it had the timing marks on the drivers side just like Derek's and the damper also had a 1mm larger center diameter. I tried on the Derek's wheel and voila, perfect fit.

I finally got a new battery for my cam so I will post pictures and measurements comparing the two dampers in the next day or so.

Did the 74 260 have A/C?

I think the earlier 260's had more in common with the 240's, and the later 260's had some parts simular to the 280's. Read that somewhere, not too sure what it applies to.

I am willing to pay for another sensor mount if it is possible to mount it on the drivers side. My car is not at my place, so I can't easily do the mock up right now. Anyone have a 280 ?? Is it possible to mount the sensor on the drivers side and still retain A/C??

I plan to do some more work this summer prototyping the car with Autodesk Inventor, I am getting sufficent with the package now.

I think the earlier 260's had more in common with the 240's, and the later 260's had some parts simular to the 280's. Read that somewhere, not too sure what it applies to.

I am willing to pay for another sensor mount if it is possible to mount it on the drivers side. My car is not at my place, so I can't easily do the mock up right now. Anyone have a 280 ?? Is it possible to mount the sensor on the drivers side and still retain A/C??

I plan to do some more work this summer prototyping the car with Autodesk Inventor, I am getting sufficent with the package now.

Hi clint

I'm confused as to why you need to mount it on the drivers side. Is there a clearance problem?

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

I temp installed the hub and sensor mount: http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=1023196&postcount=11

The hub fits in the damper perfect. Is the sensor orientation relative to the outer teeth of the wheel look acceptable? I had imagined the sensor pointing thru the center of the hub. Does the sensor need to come out more, away from the front cover or is this position acceptable?

yah thats very acceptable. I know what you mean but yours looks good. I had the same concern of the VR not running "through" the wheel flat, alsomine is not centered right (the wheel has a little of a wobble run out my fault not DEREKS) I have no issues yet. I get a constant rpm signal doesnt fade or nothing. As long as it meets the tolerances of edis 0.030 to 0.060 inch gap (0.75 mm to 1.5 mm).

The sensor does not have to be directly centered but it would be good. The trigger wheel looks thinner than the stock one but looks like Derek made a nice one still for you. If anything put 2 mm spacers just to push it outward> Iam running the powerforce pulley and I ran 2 cm spacers! and it still works however Iam waiting for the new hub.

• 1 month later...

Just got these parts installed. As is obvious via this thread, it did indeed require some modification to work properly on my L28ET.

Had to take about 1-2mm off the OD of the hub (using a L28E balancer).

Might need to slot the bottom hole of the sensor bracket for better gap placement.

Had to shave the sides of the bolt towers to get my fat VR sensor to fit between them.

Other than that, it works beautifully, with no wobble or run-out. Yay!

I've been sending PM's and also regular posts to this thread for a while now and not getting any replies. Are you still making parts? Cuz I would really like to buy a trigger wheel sized to fit my MSA damper and I would like to have it made without any missing teeth, so I could remove a tooth after I get the sensor mounting finalized.

My machine is giving me fits and my wife just had back surgery so I'm dealing with that as well. Fortunately she can wipe her own ass!

I'm inundated with work right now which is good for me and bad for the HybridZ community. At this point I have no idea when I'm going to be able to produce some more stuff.

Derek

• 2 months later...