HybridZ

Show Off Your Engine Bay! Pics Wanted, L-series

philipl

Hi folks.

These are some photos i took last weekend in Japan at the Nagano Nostalgic car show. ok ok i know theyre not in zed cars but hey gotta love the exhaust on that GTR! they're all out of GTRs actually, i was a bit dissapointed by lack of 240z's- only 2.

3272_111905554128_696489128_2518516_4924913_n_thumb.jpg

L28_thumb.jpg

Gtr_thumb.jpg

where are you guys getting these fuel rails and smooth intake mani's plz pm me with some websites or fab dimensions.

Fuel rail is probably a palnet (spelling) piece?? Most of the clean intake manis are peoples own elbow grease ha ha. Takes a lot of work but the outcome is beautiful.

$700!!!!!!

i made mine with about $100 worth of materials.

there is probably about 30 or so hours in it.

21042009277.jpg

21042009278.jpg

The throttle body cost me about $150, and the fuel rail extrusion was about $25

i guess though,

$100 for materials

$150 for throttle

$25 for fuel rail

$80 p/h x 30 hours = $2400

_______

$2675

yea ok, $700 is semi reasonable, seeing as it is professionally done in a workshop.

i guess though,

$100 for materials

$150 for throttle

$25 for fuel rail

_______

$2675

yea ok, $700 is semi reasonable, seeing as it is professionally done in a workshop.

Exactly. Since I don't know how to weld and don't have alot of fabrication skills, I think $700 is quite reasonable.

Also keep in mind that the Lonewolf intake has a machined plate between the individual runners and the large diameter collector. Each port has a large smooth radius blending into the runners. I'm going to guess that that part alone would cost several hundred dollars to have machined. Is it the ultimate intake? Would it be "better" to taper the large tube? I dunno, I would need actual test data to make an informed decision.

Oh, and nice manifold Nizm0Zed! :mrgreen:

Umm.. whats the point of the shield covering the injectors?

Seems like its going to trap a lot of the heat in the injectors.. I see problems with vapor lock and hard hot starts.

Unless your building a heat shield from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold I would recommend a diff approach

$700!!!!!!

i made mine with about $100 worth of materials.

there is probably about 30 or so hours in it.

21042009277.jpg

21042009278.jpg

The throttle body cost me about $150, and the fuel rail extrusion was about $25

i guess though,

$100 for materials

$150 for throttle

$25 for fuel rail

_______

$2675

the shroud serves two main purposes.

1. Its pretty looking.

2. It holds the injectors and rail down.

If i have a problem with hot starts and vapour lock, i'll add in some cooing to the underside (directed airflow)

but, the way i see it, it has a good surface area, so it will dissipate heat quite nicely, there is also no webbing between the manifold, so most of the heat radiating upwards will go past the manifold anyway.

remember its all polished, so it'll reflect the radiant heat off it.

I also live in a reasonably temperate climate.

Yea, our summers here can get to 40 degrees celcius, but that generally only happens for a few weeks in a year, the rest of the time, it ranges anywhere from -10 to 30 degrees depending on the season.

If i have a problem with hot starts and vapour lock, i'll add in some cooing to the underside (directed airflow)

but, the way i see it, it has a good surface area, so it will dissipate heat quite nicely, there is also no webbing between the manifold, so most of the heat radiating upwards will go past the manifold anyway.

remember its all polished, so it'll reflect the radiant heat off it.

I wasn't going to argue these points for you, but since you brought up the "heatsink over heat soak" point I will add this.. The heat soak issue typically is not a problem with the car running; its that 5-10 mi nute run into the store that brings the problem out. In THAT situation, I would see the shroud as more of a heat sink than a heat soak. To cause a problem, you would need a heat trap or heat soak that was specifically designed to grab the heat and pump it into the fuel lines.. something like fins on each injector holder reaching down towards the source of heat, directly connected to fuel plumbing.

What I am saying is, yes, while the engine is running that shroud is likely to absorb a great deal of heat from the engine and exhaust, but none of it is really going down (a negligible bit conducted through the metal posts anyhow) and then once the engine is shut off, it gathers no more heat than the fuel rail would naturally given its position. I am thinking the shroud is probably a workable feature; and as was said before, if it needs it, direct cooling air right through that mimized airspace and you are definitely set to go!

Time will tell, I guess.

• 1 month later...