HybridZ

Show Off Your Engine Bay! Pics Wanted, L-series

philipl

Really nice, almost no body roll in addition to harder springs.

There is a company called PMK or PDK or PDM Fabrication which makes a complete 7 point bolt in front suspension stiffener for s-30's.

I think it was like $300.00 or something I don't quite remember...

I remember them from MSA 2001. I had just fabbed the strut to firewall mounts in addition to the strut bar being there. Then I saw what they and others had done with the strut to sway bar link and went home and did mine.

What they had for sale was really sweet and I would have bought it had I not been so far into my project...

Ever heard of a Nissan Laurel? Well, heres one with a turboed L24E, stock internals, HKS 2mm head gasket, planing ~22 PSI of boost, and ~300BHP+. Engine management is Megasquirt II V3.0, ESAB no slip differential, cut coil springs, racing slicks for track events.

this is a budget build, and total build cost including the car is approx 1300$.

Its not finished until the end of the weekend, this is the "so far" pics. The car will be a road car, but the main point of use is track days. Debut will be next weekend in a drag racetime attacktop speed weekend track day. I hope to empty 5 gear with ease, approx 140MPH, and to outrun many Silvias300ZXskylines both at drag and time attacks, cross fingers and toes ;)

Future upgrades is coilovers and better brakes.

Jul2008ogdiverseannet125.jpg

RobertDeler019.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Jul2008ogdiverseannet159.jpg

Not a Z, but it is an L28. :icon14:

Cheers!

More cedric engine bay photos :cool:

CIMG0304.jpg

CIMG0318.jpg

CIMG0308.jpg

it's a budget build but i'm still proud of it.

I'm open to any suggestions people might have? esp in the heat shield/induction departments as the head was shaved by PO, really trying to control detonation etc... doing alot better with those now :wink:

Thats a neat heat shield... Id be interested in hearing some more before and after opinions.

Its actually just a home fabby job with some tin-snips, sheet aluminium and a ball-peen. I have no idea as to much of the science behind in or how to optimise heat reflection.

I certainly have noticed considerable difference though;

628f_11.jpg

This image is the bay taken by the PO (what was he thinking?!?!) It was reasonably economical but had no guts after 4k :S

after megasquirt install and the new manifold etc etc(not running heatshield and sucking from bay) it had alot more power (seat of the pants guess) but i could hear pinging after 5k depending on temp etc. even with my fairly conservative timing.

the induction and sheilding are only a couple of weeks old but i certainly noticed it has made a difference, i've been able to run alot harder than before without hearing any det moments *touch wood*.

MS tells me i've dropped ~10*C in intake temp w00t

The manifold still gets a bit warm down near the head because the sheilding is VERY close where the extractors+sheild+manifold meet, i suppose thats why alot of guys cut the webbing out?

Interestingly it's started running rich on the same tune as before, i would have expected it to be lean with cooler air? i need to address my MAT compensation i guess(?)

I chose to go with an airbox rather than piping because of the rarity of the car and not wanting to cut up the nosecone. it sucks from behind the lights where there's a fair bit of connection with the outside world, plus there's a big gap in the fender cavity there which is also continuous with the real world (ex-vivo :P):hijack:

i'll bite in this thread... here is my engine but not in the engine bay yet... car is still at the paint shop...

before....

IMG_5675.jpg

after gaskets replaced and paint with polished valve cover...

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_5913.jpg

Remember to cover those ex ports too! DIrt can go in them just as much as the intake ports. I would hate for that pretty motor to have scored cylinder walls :)

Thanks, Yasin. :mrgreen:

However, I think that I will be bested by Jeff S (Monzter). If he ever gets the damned thing running, that is. :icon54:

Tim, I just saw this HAHAH That’s funny and doubtful. Funny that a still have not get my stuff finished, and doubtful to best you beautiful Z

Anyway,

Here is my current

newmotor240z.jpg

And My future (somday)

Picture_0203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...