HybridZ

Phlebmaster's 240Z Evolution, 56k fah-getta-bout-it. ;-)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fixed it this morning. :)

I looked for the broken link in the wiring harness and couldn't find it without tearing apart the whole friggin dash.....so I got my head out of my butt (it was starting to hurt) and just bypassed the stupid harness by wiring the switch to the fuse block then to the G/W wire that runs along the passenger side body rail.

Now my turnsignals work AND my brake lights..yay! No tickets for me!! :-D

I will have to trace out the problem later. But now I can go the the car show without any issues. :)

Hey P-diddy :D I figured out your brake light problem, I have the same one. Its the turn signal switch! (BS you say?) No seriously, I have been playing with my turn brake wiring ALL day, using the FSM wiring schematic for reference. The brakes and signals are all powered through the switch... I disassembled mine and cleaned it inside, and found that there is a small 'ball bearing' that rolls back and forth making the signals operate and at the same time making the brake light on that side stop lighting (makes sense since they are the same lights), the ball in mine had fallen out and was rolling around inside. SO I reassembled it, and PRESTO, brakes... but wait, no signals? Damnit! Disassemble again, ball falls out nearly getting lost, bend the little tabs (you'll see what I mean), and reassemble. PRESTO, signals, no brakes... %JH%#((*!!! Disassemble, this time losing the ball completely, dangit... bend the tabs the other way. PRESTO?! brakes no signals again... Now I've had it, I take a pick and poke it inside and bend those stupid motherfartin tabs without opening it, and now I some times have one brake light, some times the other, sometimes both. Signals work, but don't like to turn off... and I'm gonna fart with it no more. Gonna go find another thats in better shape.

Hope that helps :D

:mrgreen: That does make sense. I know that frustration all too well. hahaha Thanks. ;)

Hey P-diddy :D I figured out your brake light problem, I have the same one. Its the turn signal switch! (BS you say?) No seriously, I have been playing with my turn brake wiring ALL day, using the FSM wiring schematic for reference. The brakes and signals are all powered through the switch... I disassembled mine and cleaned it inside, and found that there is a small 'ball bearing' that rolls back and forth making the signals operate and at the same time making the brake light on that side stop lighting (makes sense since they are the same lights), the ball in mine had fallen out and was rolling around inside. SO I reassembled it, and PRESTO, brakes... but wait, no signals? Damnit! Disassemble again, ball falls out nearly getting lost, bend the little tabs (you'll see what I mean), and reassemble. PRESTO, signals, no brakes... %JH%#((*!!! Disassemble, this time losing the ball completely, dangit... bend the tabs the other way. PRESTO?! brakes no signals again... Now I've had it, I take a pick and poke it inside and bend those stupid motherfartin tabs without opening it, and now I some times have one brake light, some times the other, sometimes both. Signals work, but don't like to turn off... and I'm gonna fart with it no more. Gonna go find another thats in better shape.

Hope that helps :D

I like the spoiler stencil......you could do that with a vinyl label too.

Greg

P.S. I found my SU carb DVD's. You're welcome to borrow them if you want Aaron. Just give em a call or send me a PM. I used them myself this last weekend to fix a problem with my 240Z.

Cool Beans! I will let you know if I need to borrow your DVD. :)

Wow very nice, I've been following this thread for a while, just never had a account to ask questions. Ha anyways its looking really good so far. Im thinking about getting a 77 280z and restoring it as a school project (which determines if i fail or pass highschool). I was just wondering whats a rough estimate on how much you spent to fix it up?

I may kick myself for this post.... But I am commiting to a V8 swap. :shock::mrgreen:

I am in the process of looking for a donor car or a good deal on a SBC / tranny combo. I have been considering this for awhile and have been too afraid to mess up my 240z. I will take my time and do this right. I will keep you updated on my acquisition of parts toward this endeavor.

I have finally figured out that I will not mess her up if I have your help....and I know I will. ;) I have seen too many awesome threads and have been encouraged by a uhem a couple of guys here who have done many of these swaps. It is just that I have seen a few of these swaps started and never finished and that is what makes me nervous.

No worries with you guys around.....

Failure is NOT an option here and I can't wait to get this thing done!! Updates as they happen.

Oh, first on my list is that V8 swap book!! :)

Then.....

My ideal donor car will be a very cheap, running, driving complete junker that I can pull all my parts out of.

If that is not the best option then the following will be on my list....

SBC engine 350 Preferred- must be complete carb to pan

Tranny Manual Preferred

JTR mount kit

R-200 and the stuff to make it fit

I am shopping CL now and looking into what my other options are for parts.

PLEEEEAAASE do an LS7... I really want to see it done!!

They're only 14k for a crate motor! :P

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=LS7&engine=LS7&sku=17802397&engCat=ls

And then you can beat the LSX M :)

lol

I am going for a carbed motor for now. We will get to the EFI and other fancy stuff once I get this going. :burnout: We will crawl before we walk on this one. ;)

Nice, subscribed... I was thinking of going this very route in a year or two. Gonna be watching your build in preparation :)

Dunno too much about building up motors but I would just buy a GM crate motor, I think its 1500 or so and comes assembled with a lot of what you will need AND comes with a 3 year waranty as long as you dont take the thing apart. You can run whatever intake/carb setup you want with it too... ~250 HP, 350 lb-ft not a bad start. Once everything is set and running well and you want more power screw the waranty and go for new heads/cam/whatever else.