HybridZ

Take A Nice Late Model BMW & DO NOT Change the Oil for 40,000miles..Outcome? Pics

slownrusty

Usualy the only thing taking up the worn out bearing clearance is the thick sludgy oil. Just changing the oil on a pig like this causes them to get sloppy and throw a rod.

All the junk that gets down into the oil pan usualy will clog the pick up. I've seen this many times, but this is unusualy bad.

I'd start the funeral arrangements soon.....

Usualy the only thing taking up the worn out bearing clearance is the thick sludgy oil. Just changing the oil on a pig like this causes them to get sloppy and throw a rod.

All the junk that gets down into the oil pan usualy will clog the pick up. I've seen this many times, but this is unusualy bad.

The thread was started in early August......

This was posted yesterday.....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18064462&postcount=240

• Administrators

Seen that a few times, back in the mid-late ‘90s working as an apprentice machinist/engine builder.

One was a little old couple who purchased a brand new Ford Crown Vic, was told by dealership it could go 100,000 miles between tune-ups. They took that to mean oil changes as well. :shock: At approx. 60,000 miles engine seized. The shop that did the engine R&R brought the engine to us, we disassembled it, and WOW! Oil separated into big globs of paraffin wax just like in the pics of the BMW.

My favorite was the idiot that brought us his Dodge V-6 engine from his Dakota. Said it just quit running one day, wanted us to rebuild it for him. I get the pan off and the pan is a thick gelatinous goo, tip the pan up side it doesn't fall out! A little more digging revealed this was some Dodge factory/dealer Re-man engine, (tag riveted to the block). We ask him about that and he say this same thing happened to the original engine at about 80,000 miles, had the dealer install the reman, this Reman lasted approx 60,000 miles. We asked him if he ever changed the oil, he assured us he had not because it was a waste of his time and money! :lmao:

Cause you know, replacing engines is sooo much cheaper and less hassle... :lmao:

We rebuilt the engine and assured him there was no warranty wih this engine! :shock:

Here is a of one of those that came into the shop back then. I think this was the Dodge pan, may be a SBC or SBM. Sorry for the poor quality, it's a picture of a picture.

NoOlChng.jpg

I remember a kid in high school bought a truck, after he changed the oil it smoked real bad. Probably because it hadn't had an oil change in years?

My Uncle was like that. My Dad bought a 72 Ford Ranchero from him in the early 90's. The first thing he did was change the oil, he pulled the plug and nothing came out. My uncle said he would just add oil to in once in a while when it "seemed low". That was my first engine build.

I haven't changed the oil in my 1992 BMW for about 15,000 miles, and have not intention of ever changing it. The car just passed 200K miles and is threatening to fall apart across multiple fronts, of which engine failure is but one of many. So we'll see how long it takes before bearing failure etc. I'll take detailed photos once the damage happens!

I remember a military spouse was at the hobby shop in Japan. Her husband was deployed and he asked her to change the oil while he was gone. She did alright and used a whole case of oil plus some to fill it to the rim of the oil cap. Luckily we noticed before she fired it up and we drained about 8 quarts too many out of it. :lol:

I remember a military spouse was at the hobby shop in Japan. Her husband was deployed and he asked her to change the oil while he was gone. She did alright and used a whole case of oil plus some to fill it to the rim of the oil cap. Luckily we noticed before she fired it up and we drained about 8 quarts too many out of it. :lol:

Lol, bet that was a nice smoke screen.

I remember one of the senior techs at my shop who told me back when he was in high school, they had some new guy change the oil. He didn't supervise the noob, but when he went over to check the oil level, he pulled the dipstick and oil started spewing out everywhere, haha. They found out the noob did the same thing (filled up to the top).

We asked him if he ever changed the oil, he assured us he had not because it was a waste of his time and money!

Let's do the math:

60,000 miles / 3,000 = 20 oil changes.

20 oil changes * $30 each = $600.00

Rebuilt engine = $$2,500.00

$2,500.00 - $600.00 = $1,900.00 this genius lost.

When I was young and stupid, I never changed the oil in my Honda Accord. Once it had 200k miles on it I decided to trade it in. I figured, I might as well change the oil before I do that. Pulled the dipstick and it looked like somebody used it to roast marshmallows. I changed the oil, took it in, and got $2000 for it. lol

I treated it like crap from 18K to 200K miles and NEVER had a problem with it. Weird huh?

When i used to sell cars at our local Mercedes shop we had this Pharmaceutical Rep chick bring in her brand new CLK 430 and she drove this car 40,000miles without oil-change. She Literally cried when we told her that she had to pay for a new engine and the Bumper to Bumper warranty would not cover it.

The funny thing is when you buy a new merc the first couple of oil changes are on the house and the convenient service light in your LCD display reminds you annoyingly that you need to change your oil.

Johnc, whats worse about it... Dont the BMWs get free service while they are under warranty? I think they have for the past 4 or more years now. Thats just dumb.

Also, most of the german cars are running something around 10k service intervals. At $300 or more per service though.... I worked for mercedes for a while. Stupid high service prices. They do hold a LOT of the mobil 1 though. And i recall the services being around $600 for the minor service.

anyhow... uh yeah.

Joe