HybridZ

So are Z sellers on crack now, or have values gone up?

auxilary

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/497930553.html

there's no way that's worth 10 grand. 5-6, maybe, but not 10.

For a completely perfect vehicle maybe but definetly not that one. It has dings, e-brake does seem to work (rock) and thats only looking at it for 5 seconds. I have noticed nice z's selling for more than I thought but I just bought mine for $500 so you can get a nice one for cheap.

I hope they start selling for that price! All the better for us.

If you're selling than that is good for you. If you need parts or a parts car, or want to build another, that is definitely not good for you. I am definitely not into Z's as an investment, and when they get too expensive and I can't find parts anymore I'll switch to the next cheap go fast car.

If you're selling than that is good for you. If you need parts or a parts car, or want to build another, that is definitely not good for you. I am definitely not into Z's as an investment, and when they get too expensive and I can't find parts anymore I'll switch to the next cheap go fast car.

I don't think in your lifetime or mine will we see Z get to the point where they are very expensive that we will want to drop the habbit. I believe as the market value grows, more people will start producing parts...as more people produce parts....someone else will come along and be cheaper with same quality. I believe if our Z's become less and less popular....that will be in the end of the Z car.

I think everyone here who puts as much time into their cars as the next guy...would love to see if one day they wanted to sell their car that the market says the car is worth something.

Collect the parts while you can, lol.

Agreed...I didn't buy my Z so I could sell it later, I bought it because the price was right, there's a sizable aftermarket, parts are(or were) cheap, it was well-made and got good gas mileage.

Zs started life as affordable sports cars, I'd hate to think they're going to start commanding high prices(although we'll probably see it soon, just as InitialD made the AE86 Corolla a collector's item, Wangan Midnight looks poised to do the same thing to the Z).

And aux, the car you posted MIGHT be worth 3/4 what he's asking, but you know better than I do. I had some guy tell me my car was worth 5 grand not too long ago, I had to resist the temptation to laugh.

I think alot of the z sellers are on crack. I saw one on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $27,000 with a hideous "$20,000" paint job and I about died laughing.

Quick story; I saw a Z at a small hole-in-the-wall dealership for sale. So, I stopped in to look at it. The paint was peeling and 1/4" thick pieces of body filler were falling off from the poor bodywork, the bumpers were dented and sagging, the floor looked like swiss-cheese, the tires were balled, it had three different wheels on it, the interior looked like a grizzly bear and a puma were mating in it, the dash was torn to shreds, the car sat lopsided, and it didn't have the original engine or transmission.

I went inside to ask how much it was. I was expecting somewhere around $800-$1000. The guy told me $3900! I looked at him and said, "Would you take $600?" The guy got red in the face and said, "Get out of here you idiot." I responded, "There certainly is an idiot here, but it sure as hell isn't me."

A few weeks go by when I'm at a restaurant and what should pull up? Sure enough, someone bought the car. I saw the guy and said, "So you bought that car, huh?" I asked the guy how much he paid for it, and he told me he got a deal on it for $3700! I started to grin, and explained to the guy about the value of Z's and what not, and the guy got pissed and started yelling about how he was going to sue the dealership. Of course we all know, the guy was SOL.

Anywho, that's my story of how stupid unknowledgeable sellers can be.

Then there is my brother-in-law, who stopped at a guy's house and asked if he wanted to sell his Z, the guy said sure and they settled on a price of $500. Apparently the owner had tried to sell it through ZONC with no success for quite a while and was about to donate it to charity for the write off.

There are still deals to be had. I feel that auctions are probably not the best place to buy a car, unless it's a wholesale auction or a police auction and you know what to look out for...

That is true. You get plenty of people bid up their own auctions and giving the public the wrong message about how much the car is worth. Then one of those people say, "Damn my car is cleaner than that so it must be worth 15K".

I think everyone here knows what to look for when buying a Z, so we will keep the market at a fair price.

I would love for the prices of early Z's to continue to go up. Gives me one more reason to hold on to mine. I didn't buy my Z as an investment but appreciation never hurts. It's kinda like a rolling savings account :). In a perfect Z world for me, series one values would go through the roof and '72 and up stay affordable so I could build another hybridZ.

But yeah, that guy won't get 10k

i guess you lot must have got a shitload of them over there. you can still find Zed's in decent condition around oz for about the $2000 mark, give or take $1000, but fully restored and immaculate ones (completely standard) are getting $20k

modded ones can fetch around the same value too.

now i know there is a difference in our currencies, but its not that big, we are getting $1 to your 75-80 or so cents at the moment.

i have had people offer me all sorts of things for my 260, and its kinda scrappy looking at the moment

I think values are definitely on the rise. Take a look at any classic or collector car magazine. You will find references to the 240Z as an up and coming classic collectible. Grassroots Motorsports sister mag Classic Motorsports even has a 240Z project car.

When you think about it, the Z has a lot going for it from a collector's perspective.

1) It is considered by most to be the quintessential sports car from Japan. It helped establish Datsun as a respected marquee and literally defined the affordable sports car. In other words, it’s not just another car; It has an iconic status.

2) It has aged gracefully and is still admired for it’s good looks today. Heck, people even complain that the new Z didn’t have enough of the original 240Z “DNAâ€.

3) It is reliable, fun to drive and easy to maintain. The same can’t be said for a lot of peers from the same era.

4) The newest samples are nearly 35 years old. This is just about the prime age for a car to start to appreciate as appreciation is usually due to people who grew up with the car finally having some extra cash and having the desire to ‘re-live’ their youth. The 60s muscle car craze of the past few years is testament to this, as is all the 50s nostalgia before that.

All that said, sub $1500 examples can still be had all over the place. However, some of the top restorations and best modified versions are certainly on the rise. As time wears on, the prices of the other cars will rise as well. The fact that NLA OEM parts such as the working radios, hubcaps, etc…are fetching upwards of $100 is a good indicator that prices are on the rise.